Thread: non-smelling baselayer tops

Anyone know how montane bionic or arcteryx phase performs? Can you suggest any other which has great anti-smell properties? I know all about merino but find icebreaker such a wierd fit and don't know of any otherswith an "active fit" rather than usual merino body hugging types!

As per another thread I have an Arcteryx Phase... which is great as a running top. As for its pong resistance its like anything else if you use it and use it without washing or leave it too long after using it it WILL smell. I have in the passed used it then hung it up to dry out and it was ok to use a couple of times after BUT I would normally wash all my running kit (especially during the summer) after one outing.
    BTW the Phase has an athletic fit.

rohan silver t shirts

http://www.rohan.co.uk/Category/Detail/MensTShirtsAndTops

the ultra is particularly good as it dries whilst you look at it.

Patagonia Capilene seems to do well in the anti-pong area for me. I can wear it several days running without it becoming smelly.

Capiline

Dan S.

Having owned some silver-ion tops for about 4-5 years and some merino about 2 years, I'd say they both eventually fail in the anti-pong area due to cleaning not being sufficiently thorough to remove all the grime and that then leads to more rapid pong. I mean initially a new garment might last 5-7 days til smelly, but over the years that drops. I've tried very hot water hand washing and a few different ideas.
    Overall, though, on an overall wear-over-time, the silver-ion approach seems to win. Merino is not as tough, it bobbles and holes form.

My Berghaus X-static from 2007 is surviving better than my Smartwool 2009.

Worst items are Paramo. Cambia = Pongia.

Was that a lighter weight merino?

My midweight merino stuff has seen a lot - basically continous and daily of a handful of tops - of wear for a couple of years now. Frayed cuffs yes, holes in the elbows of my mid layers yes, the odd little bit of watch damage etc, but no bobbling and the main fabric is fundamentally entirely fine. Seems to darns OK too.

No obvious loss of smell resistance either. Really it does seem to be surviving quite well over time. Some synthetics might well last better, but suspect not all.

The silver etc stuff really isn't the same cf smell, but it does tend to keep a days walking under control and then is often light/fast drying enough that you could wash it overnight rather easily, and wear it the next day. So its quite close to a non issue.

Cf the original fit agnst, don't Icebreaker use multiple different fits? And then quite a few other people do it, all with different fits. If too body hugging can normally go up a size

ecco, you asked about the Montane Bionic baselayer.

These are made from Sportwool (not to be confused with Smartwool) which is a mix of wool and synthetic. The result is a quick-drying baselayer that is not quite as pong-free as a pure Merino garment. Fine for day walks and overnighters butwill get smelly ifworn for longer. Better than any purely synthetic baselayer that I have tried, however. If only Montane would get rid of those stupid plastic inlays in the cuffs and add a zip collar option, it would be pretty much perfect.

Unless it's really warm, I use Icebreaker for multi-day backpacking. I've found nothing elsethat comes close in terms of comfort and it genuinely does not smell, even after days of wear. I haven't noticed any deterioration in this property so far although Ido take care of my Icebreaker stuff, handwashing it after use. There's been a bit of bobbling but no holes yet.

Icebreaker's fit won't suit everyone. Unless you're a tall, skinny type, you'll almost certainly have to go up a size and roll back the cuffs. Not too great an inconveniencefor an otherwise great garment. I would like to try Smartwool's offerings but they are not easy to find in the UK.

I've also tried a Patagonia Capilene top but I wasn't impressed - poor quality stitching that started unravelling almost immediately and smelled after one day.

Ultra King

I still use a capilene top that was bought about 8 years ago. Not sure of pong status if I'm in the hills wearing it afterall its only really an issue when you get back down to civilisation. Have you tried washing stuff in the hills?

I use one of Montane's t-shirts in their synthetic fabric and it wicks amazingly well. As far as pong goes no complaints from those around me yet. I do think two people wearing the same tops can have different levels of pong issues. When me and a mate got picked up after 5 straight days between washes he got told he stank badly but I got told I didn't stink to badly (no more than a normal day in the hills). That was despite my mate taking a swim in the tarn the morning before being picked up and I hadn't washed or wet wiped for at least 5 days.

If you do tend to stink more than others then wash and try to dry on your sack. If you can't dry because its raining then chances are you will get wet due to sweat anyway so you can wash and wear it wet. A good synthetic top that is will dry with you wearing it (subject to issues with rain and overwhelming of waterproofs. I must admit I have less of an issue with wet clothes as I have kayaked in the past a lot so used to wearing wet base layers under my wetsuit. So if pong is an issue I'd wash, wear and go.

Woolpower/Ullfrotte is nice gear, not quite as figure hugging as Icebreaker though. The lightest weight is 200gsm so better for spring/autumn/winter

Ultra King

Finisterre perhaps? They do merino and in more surfer styles so perhaps looser.

Do Howies do more casual styled merino tops?

There is another make of NZ merino wool tops.

Well its all down to skin bacteria multiplying and since the set of skin bacteria accross the population presumably probably do vary a lot, reactions to the various types of clothing/treatements etc probably do too

also please remember that your top may not stink but you do.

Hi All,

Many thanks for all your comments.Like the Rohan Ultra but shame it's not a zip. Shame Berghaus did away with the x-static

I soke my various baselayers in a dilute solution of zoflora before washing. It ensures the baselayer comes out of the wash refreshed and pong free everytime. It does also seem to keep them fresher for longer on re-use. A little extra time consuming but beats buying new baselayers because your old ones seem to have become irreversibly pongy. And the used solution can be used to clean the bathroom with afterwards..

Didn't Berghaus make a new range based on silver-ion? The name might have changed but the idea the same.
    My Berghaus is the longest-lived of all my base and this thread is making me hand wash in hot water the armpits of my Berghaus to get off whatever has shortened its anti-pong properties. Not the silver ion wearing off the threads????

Yeah - they call it Argentum or something similiar. It's dire - stinks worst than a old smelly helly after a marathon