Thread: Mountain Leader Training etc.

I'm thinking about doing MLT when I've finished this contract i) for a bit of preparation before going away; and ii) as a step towards a possible career change when I return. Are there any good resources for information anywhere? Has anyone here done it before? Any tips/information? Any information about it would be great.

Cheers

Still doing the training.

Its harder than I thought really, but then I was hardly an expert when I registered. Good navigation, map reading skills and rope work are vital. If you already have that you'll have no trouble.

Go for it though its well worth it.

Check out http://www.mltb.org/
    and http://www.mltb.org/Syllabus8Edition.htm

I instruct on ML courses Hodge, so if you've got any specific questions you are welcome to email me.

I've got my Summer ML and am working on my Winter ML & SPA. As Ian says the MLTB site is good for information about providers and the syllabus.

When people ask me I say the key is excellent navigation skills and confidence. Ability to navigate in poor vis and the use of techniques such as pacing and timing are important. Rope work experience is also helpful although its pretty basic and they'll go through it on the training course. If you're a climber it will be no problem.

Finally if you can get some experience of working with groups it will also be of help. This is usually through organisations like the Scouts or working with D of E groups.

There is also talk of bringing more environmental type stuff into the scheme, such as knowledge of flora and forna. Alison can probably tell you more about that than I can.

Like Alison happy to answer specific questions via email. Alison is probably more up to date on the latest syllabus than me though.

Thanks guys - your help has been great, and is hugely appreciated. Thanks especially to Alison for answering my ostensibly interminable questions

Going to send an application off to the MLTE some time this week.

Yes, Giles is right; there is more emphasis on flora and fauna, and it helps to have knowledge of ther environmental matters like glaciation and rock types, and to be able to discuss our impact on the environment; though by reading this forum you will be well up to speed on the latter. These will all be covered on the training course.
    Navigation and ropework are the main things people fail on, so need loads of practice.

We also had to choose from avalanches and the CROW act on top of the usual flora and fauna stuff. One example I was tempted by was 'Lakeland Sheep farming'.

Leadership skills are also commented on.