Thread: Talkback: New Review - Berghaus Mount Asgard Smock

How can you give this Value score of 5 when it is priced so much?

Yes it's a great bit of tech but not worth £200+

Ummm, look at the rest of the waterproofs in the world!

Pro shell under 300 is rather rare, and you can certainly spend a lot more on a properly designed, technical waterproof. All those prototypes/development work cost money you know, and there's the premium for having someone develop something so focused.

You could easily imagine them having priced it quite a bit higher, but suppose they're after brand credibility rather than huge profits with this specific line.

Having said that, there are cheaper Event smocks OMM Cypher is @190 rrp, Rab demand pull on @155. Or cheaper 2.5 layer things for ~100 (And Berghaus did one of those this year.).

Exactly as John said really: "And for what you get, it's an excellent price, just make sure it's what you really do need".

As saidd above, it's relative. Value and cheap aren't the same thing and the amount of development that's gone into this and the functionality means, in my opinion, that compared to comparable products, it offers very good value. Sure, it's not cheap, but that's not what value is.

but value is a opinion not a statement and I do care if it weight 50g and was the most waterproof top ever invented by Sir boddington. £200+ isa lotof money.

Might just wait till the winter sale next Jan

Widdler
    If you are a little more than ?Sleek? Then taking the next size up may be an option

G. Martin
    (Pattern Cutting Demonstrator School of Design Northumbria University)

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

> As saidd above, it's relative. Value

> but value is a opinion

Seem to be saying the same thing. Jon's opinion is that it's good value. You opinion is that it's not. Both are opinions, and both can be cogently argued.

I'd wait for the sales, as this looks like another of Berghaus' 'aspirational pieces', and is quite a niche product. Whether you'll see it in the sales will depend on how many they've made, and whether they've over- or under-estimated the size of the niche...

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

> (Pattern Cutting Demonstrator School of Design Northumbria University)

Hello, Gary. Interesting job; does that include CAD methods, too?

Ultra King

Well at that weight isn't it competing with the likes of Haglofs Ozo RRP£200 or £140 in climbers shop now its been out for a while.

Or Rab Momentum from £180 in the same shop as above.

Now the difference between these is Paclite in the first (inferior durability and perhaps breathability too) and 3 layer event in the Rab (better breathability but doesn't it have the external adjustment on the hood).

Out of those two I think only the Rab is comparable in performance (I have tried both of these I mentioned but yet to try on the asgard).

Anyway these prices are for two established jackets. This one is new and will be at full price for some time so IMHO the prices are not significantly different for what you get and could quite possibly get better later on in the year if the asgard gets discounted.

So it, as always, comes down to whether it is right for you. I have that fit except I'm tall too so perhaps like most light jackets it could be a bit short for me. I am in the market for one and it is my price target so will be trying it on when I see it. IF the armpit gusset works and if it is available in a less obvious colour I might be tempted. What makes it for me is the fit if its right (as perfect as poss please) and the details. I do like the zip details with the pocket and half zip right next to each other in the way it is with a rain drain too. The Rab has a zip rain drain too, not sure about the Haglofs but would expect it there too with them. I just think it is a neat design touch. Probably one of the feedback loop results perhaps to have the two zips close together. Probably means less double layer fabric. Shame its not in eVent though.

Value for me is good as is design. I hope someone gets one soon and reviews it online for us. Where is PTC?

I'd have to disagree about value a bit

Yes value for a specific person is very individualised. But thats not what the rating is telling you here. Its rating for value vs comparable things in the market. You obviously then need to contextualise that to you, but its a useful thing to have I think.

Otherwise there'd be no good way to mark down stuff like some of the stretch pro shell jackets which are probably very nice but do have utterly eye watering prices. Or mark up something like the own brand 2.5 layer waterproofs at ~100 etc.

In fact this turned out to have no value for me - as with a lot of things! - because the arms (being based off climbers not orangutans ) simply aren't long enough so I wouldn't wear it. Not that they're short mind, in fact iirc longer than the Demand.

It's perhaps the best jacket on the planet for a specific purpose. It costs under £250. That sounds like good value to me.