Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talkback: New Montane Kit For Spring 2011

Kate, I wonder if it's the customer rather than the manufacturer / retailer that is driving this (although it's getting to be a bit circular now). I noticed this years offerings, more than previous years, that the product range available for my wife seems much reduced and not well thought out, with only the high end manufacturers like haglofs or arc teryx providing a fuller range.

But maybe that is because guys like techie stuff and women like shoes? I know this is a gross exaggeration but manufacturers will only make stuff that they can sell, if they are making less women's options it is probably because there is less demand so they concentrate on where the money is, I.e. The guys buying several jackets instead of just one.

The trouble is that this strategy does get a bit circular, if there is less range for a woman then she will probably not buy and womens sales will decrease even further.

It would be interesting to find out from someone like Cotswold what the percentage mix in sales is between mens and womens apparel? One for you I think Jon.

Is it just me, or wouldn't the air jacket be great as a smock, if then only get rid of half the zip!

Ultra King

Wummin's fit? Parky fit? What about lanky fit? There is even less around if you are tall and athletically slim!! Noone does leg length in something technical without making the waist belt about 6" too wide so you have to use a belt cinched in a lot. Not comfortable having way too many folds of fabric between you a webbing belt and your backpack!!

There is definitely a smallmarket issue with taller people andshorter people but women?? Surely not. Our little group of walkers are probably about 65% women!!

Anyway I am happy because I have a pair of long enough legged Rab trousers that I only have to put two folds in to make it fit the waist. That is something. Although Keela have stopped having their random sizing problem so my local stockist no longer has any XXL leg lengths in stock. Damn those quality inspectors!!

BTW does anyone know if Montane have gone back to their slimmer fit that they had aboput 4 or 5 years ago?? I don't know if anyone noticed but they kind of became slightly baggier a few years back!

There is even less around if you are short and not athletically slim too. gawd bless short fat merkins, germans, rohan and craggies (jack wolfskin trouser sizes fit nicely in the middle of rohan sizes)

was there a predicted expansion in the number of ladies wanting to do "less lady-like" things and so manufacturers responded to this new market only for it not to materialise. i appreciate it must be a royal pain trying to get some kit that at least tries to fit you better than the unisex version.

Ultra King

BTW what do the women think about TGO's regular reviews of women's clothing and gear? Sometimes you don't get men's clothing reviewed for months. At least the men's equivalents to what she recommends for women seem to meet my needs rather well so I still read her reviews (well certain underwear products I ignore obviously).

And Parky, thank goodness for Scandinavians or us lankies will have problems too. Just wish they had cheaper tastes so I can afford their stuff too.

Mini Goon
    "I struggle to understand how some manufacturers actually come up with their sizing as they ceratinly don't appear to follow even high street sizing. I often end up buying male stuff as the female version just doesn't fit"

Yes, I expect this is why the women's range is so much smaller. Most women shouldn't have a problem finding men's gear that fits. It doesn't make much sense to make a female specific version if the only difference is the label and some purple fabric.

The women's selection is there for women who have figures that aren't covered by the normal range of male variation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Jimmie View Post
    Most women shouldn't have a problem finding men's gear that fits. It doesn't make much sense to make a female specific version if the only difference is the label and some purple fabric. The women's selection is there for women who have figures that aren't covered by the normal range of male variation.
    Have you ever actually looked at a woman, Wee Jimmie? Other than ogling them.

Mini Goon
    Why doesn't ogling count? It normally involves paying lots of attention to the differences between male and female anatomy!

looking at a woman they call the police and report a stalker - ogling them just gets you a slap.

(that peephole should have been smaller...)

Maybe it's something to do with the fabrics?

Has anyone tested modern fabrics to see how well they can cope with overspills from the cooker or washing machine?

Quote Originally Posted by When Pandas go Bad View Post
    But maybe that is because guys like techie stuff and women like shoes?
    [/QUOTE]Women like decent outdoor shoes/boots but can't get them!

li feng
    Really good,have the pictures ? we want to see!