Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talkback: New Montane Kit For Spring 2011

How many of these jackets will be available in a women's fit, Jon?

Umm err: not many?

Not sure that the reduced range Womens is precisely bad mind, I mean its still got 2 medium weight Event things and 1 lightish (Atomic) and 1 very light (Minimus). Never been 100% clear why everyone feels the need for such wide ranges

They never made the Superfly xt in a women's fit, and don't seem to be re-introducing it for women either.

My winge is just part of my general feeling of annoyance at the restricted offerings manufacturers so often provide for women. Raichle / Mammut is a very good example: their classic 3/4 season leather boot, the Mountain Trail xt gtx, is now only available in men's. They used to do it in women's, but now only offer the Mountain Trail gtx which is nubuck and not as stiff. Why?!!

Jon, how about you talk to some manufacturers about this approach? And retail outlets too - one glance at the footwear shelves in Cotswold or Go Outdoors will show you the huge difference between offerings for blokes and those for women, usually the restrictions are most apparent at the top end / kick-arse stuff. Will they just say it's a matter of economics? From my perspective it's manufacturers basically saying that women don't need / want the top end stuff.

isn't it simply a case of how many they can sell. i can only assume they withdrew the lady's version because it didn't sell enough.

Us ladies don't want stiff boots and mountain jackets, Katie. We want pretty shoes and frocks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Nesbit View Post
    Us ladies don't want stiff boots and mountain jackets, Katie. We want pretty shoes and frocks
    Watch your crinoline, it's showing

I think Parky might be right....come the Sales all you see are racks of womens gear; nothing for us...even those with a penchant for cross-dressing.

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    ....come the Sales all you see are racks of womens gear; nothing for us...even those with a penchant for cross-dressing.
    Racks of rubbish women's gear; non-technical stuff. Go into Keswick Cotswold, for example; half of the clothing for the fairer sex is 'fashion' stuff.

"In-fashion" stuff goes out of fashion in 6 months, hence the need for sales - in the same way Topshop/Dotty P need sales.

Not helped either by the likes of Trail who regularly have a 'Best in Test' or 'Recommended' that's only available in men's fit, whether boots or clothing. How can something be 'Best in Test' when it's not going to be suitable for a significant percentage of walkers? I'm pretty sure I've never seen a 'Best in Test' that's available only in women's fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Metric Kate View Post
    Not helped either by the likes of Trail who regularly have a 'Best in Test' or 'Recommended' that's only available in men's fit, whether boots or clothing. How can something be 'Best in Test' when it's not going to be suitable for a significant percentage of walkers? I'm pretty sure I've never seen a 'Best in Test' that's available only in women's fit.
    That's cos Graham Thompson isn't a wee girlie

It all comes down to economics unfortunately, Kate.

But look on the bright side; look at the wonderful array of knickers we can get in all kinds of slinky fabrics, while the nasty men are stuck with boxers and y-fronts

Great isn't it, I don't get the same kit opportunities because of my gender, and then I get blamed for holding back the working class blokes because of my gender. It's all a fecking conspiracy.

i read that, kate. us nasty women stealing all the jobs from those hapless men. who wants a hapless man anyway?

i think the lack of women's choice in technical gear is partly historical (so an institutional bias) and partly our own fault for not pointing it out, but opting to buy another brand instead. certainly, the number of couples i see out there doesn't back up the 'boys only' market theory.

‹bermensch That Blonde Woman.......'s Avatar

Unfortunately Kate it is all down to what sells and most outdoor manufacturers and retailers are not going to make anything that they can't make money on. Frustrates me no end too as you know

So if I win the lottery I shall be starting up a wummin specific gear manufacturing company

Quote Originally Posted by That Blonde Woman....... View Post

So if I win the lottery I shall be starting up a wummin specific gear manufacturing company
    And I will buy your products. And you shall sell Salomon shoes in a size 4 unlike Cotswold who stopped doing so 2 years ago. Gits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Marmot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by That Blonde Woman....... View Post

And I will buy your products. And you shall sell Salomon shoes in a size 4 unlike Cotswold who stopped doing so 2 years ago. Gits.
    Course I will NM

don't you just love being economically unimportant

Quote Originally Posted by Totty the Posh View Post
    don't you just love being economically unimportant
    makes me proud of my pace in society Posh

on a slightly different front i frequently have to buy wimmins thngs (oooh er) coz men's feet only start at a certain size in certain brands. and often the wimmins version are in better colours and fit better.

erm...i think that was it...erm...ah...

Parky fit is a big problem for us all, male & female. I often end up buying male stuff as the female version just doesn't fit

I struggle to understand how some manufacturers actually come up with their sizing as they ceratinly don't appear to follow even high street sizing. Yeh some justify it by calling it "Alpine fit" for stupidly skinny especially arms & legs

Montane has tended to be one of the better manufacturers where you used to be able to get different leg length but I did get very frustrated with them when for they informed me that they did not to the terra convert in female version and had no plans to do so