Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talkback: One Man, The Munros And A Film - VIDEO

Sorry, why would I pay someone £20 to go on holiday? He is not doing it for charity, but for a film that he is making and hoping to make some money from. I would get nothing from this, except to say I gave £20.

I would rather my £20 went to mountain rescue.

Fine, send your money to MR then.

FWIW you wouldn't get nothing - he's offering a photo and a credit on what might turn out to be quite an interesting film. OK, it's not a lot but it probably appeals to some people, although clearly not you.

Good luck to him I say.

Belgium (What did I do to deserve this ?)
    Hope he doesn't get his jeans wet too often - can be a bugger to dry I hear ;-)

I agree with KM - appreciate he's making a film and needs the funds, but those who contibute get a picture of a Munro - I'd rather take my own. If some of the contributions went to charity, then I might reconsider...

Jeez, there's some miserable buggers about.

Is the guy actually knocking on your doors asking for money? Phoning you? Emailing you?

I think it's a good idea. I'm away to choose a hill to sponsor. And I've established it's possible to give money to mountain rescue as well.

For the sake of completeness, a continuous round of the Munros, travelling between them all on foot, strikes me as a fairly strenuous "holiday".

‹bermensch
    £20 will feed a Gurkha pensioner in Nepal, or his widow, for about 3 weeks. To be eligible you have to be living in poverty and distress. The Gurkha Welfare Trust.

£10 will buy a bushel of seeds for a woman in Sierra Leone, helping to feed her family for several months. Action Aid.

So why does a rich (and judging by his preview film, utterly boring and uninspiring) film-maker need over £5000 off anyone to take a fancy HD video camera up mountains in order to explore the idea that 'the distractions of modern life are disconnecting us from nature'. Sort of incongruous isn't it? Isn't an HD video camera a 'distraction of modern life' in the first place?

There are far, far better things to do with £20.

He should pay for his own round, like everyone else does.

So....

Put you down for two hills then, ALS?

Widdler
    I agree with Matt C - let him raise some money for his film. All films need funding and this project sounds great. The fact he's already got 80 people backing the project suggests that not everyone thinks he's taking a holiday. Walking solidly for 5 months doesn't sound like much of a holiday to me anyway, especially in the depths of midgie season :-) But perhaps Kevin is just jealous.

I'm not too keen either on those 'charity events' where people go on a trip to raise money, I reckon washing people's cars walk/dogs etc and donate the proceeds to charity is a better idea than going on an exiting adventure, but that's just my opinion.

Widdler

Jings, why shoot someone down so quickly before he's even begun?!

This method of fundraising to make a film is well used by start-up film makers and is recognised throughout the community as a pretty bonafide way of generating some cash to get off the ground.

It's a bit like a creativity co-op that all the folk who donate some money can have a lasting interest in the project. Good on him I say and down with all the beige party poopers.

I for one will happily sponsor this guy and help contribute towards some creativity in the world. I'd rather take the gamble, give him £20 and take the time to watch the end result than wrap up in my probably quite expensive walking gear, climb a mountain and indulge in some self congratulatory waffling on my return home. I also wholeheartedly support charity but self righteous guilt trips about what money could be better spent on make me queasy.

Well said. I don't recall seeing anything stating that if you sponsor him you are barred from ever giving anything to charities.

It's just sour grapes with the knockers anyway. Probably something they'd love to have a crack at but just can't be arsed.

‹bermensch
    I'm on my third round Mrs Nesbit .. if you'd like to send £20 to any of the charities I mentioned I'd be delighted. Or sponsor this guy who's doing a winter round for Amnesty International. If you can be arsed of course.

‹bermensch

Why's this got your goat so much, ALS?

‹bermensch
    oh, i feel that distractions like this are disconnecting me from nature Mrs N, if only i could be arsed to do anything about it. Which hill did you sponsor his camera up btw?

Widdler
    Are you doing a continuous round ALS? I am assuming no. Anyone can drive around the country and "bag" munros as and when they please. A continous round on foot is a different beast entirely. Anyway, by the sounds of the film project it seems to be more about the journey to fulfill the quest to climb all the Munros as opposed to the quest itself. Comparing charity giving to this project's crowdfunding approach is idiotic too. You don't see us all going around basing our purchase decisions on how our money could be put to a good cause instead. Otherwise you wouldn't own a fancy hilleberg tent. Don't get me wrong - giving to charity is very worthy but it cannot be used as an argument against raising funds for this (and any for that matter) credible creative project that will from experience certainly require more than just a camera (think of festival fees, distribution, marketing, editing, music, etc)

‹bermensch
    So why not sell shares in the movie?

Will he still be claiming his £65 a week unemployment benefit whilst doing this?

5 months benefitworks out at £1300. Why does he need £5500 if the government thinks you can pay household bills off £65 a week? Surely living out a tent is much cheaper?

If he is in facta little rich boy playing at being a tramp, then surely daddy can slip him a few bob.

‹bermensch
    Aye, and he's from Edinburgh. Checkout the dopey wee movie of him walking up Arthurs Seat in big boots. Gi's a job. HD.

(And £20 a hill for five months is over £250 a week - for food!? - I should be so lucky. Gi's a job.)

(And starting in June .. leaving it pretty late imo.. certainly missing the best weather .. will he finish I wonder, especially as he's going South to North?)

I've heard he eats babies.