Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: satmap active 10

‹bermensch
    hi all amazingly a xmas + birthday pressy combinedhas landed me with a satmap active 10. anyone out there who has one or thinking of getting one like to get together for a day to bounce ideas off each other and maybe learn some usefull stuff to get the most from said gadget. have only just got it and have been out with it once and am sure i wont get the best use of it without some help and advice from other users. cheers lfenbo

make sure you've downloawed satsync and upgraded everything to the latest software/firmware version. the new version of satsync makes this a doddle now as well as implementing a few niggle removing items.

‹bermensch
    thanks parky i have downloaded satsync and the latest version 1.5 for the sat map, although already i have encountered some probs ie struggled to download route from first use from satmap to comp. said sommat about certain parts of download would cost 10 quid to ensure all of download is compatible. i had satsynch 1.45 already loaded onto the satmap, hence wanted to meet up with other users if poss to get over teething probs. must confess im a bit naff where modern technology is concerned and any help is greatly appreciated.

Ifenbo

SNAP! The wife bought one for me for exactly the same reason and I have not really had a chance to play about with it as I'm out of the country at work. It's well over the top for my needs but I'd like to try and get into it, I may have to get the kids to show me how to use it Let me know how you get on

‹bermensch
    ok david will do...... any more peeps out there fancy having a mini meet to swap knowledge on gps....

‹bermensch
    bump..... surely someone out there would be interested in this???

Hello lfenbo,

Im not up for a meet to talk about SatMap as my walking partner " The Mrs" wouldnt appreciate an evening of talk in a pub about technology although being a techno geek i probably would .

I have had mine for just over 2 1/2 years and wouldn't want to be without it. A couple items i would advise to buy for it are, the full country map at 150k scale (mine cost £140 a couple of years ago) if you haven't already got the maps you want. I would also advise on the battery pack too as AAs, even high capacity ones always failed at the wrong time for me .

It really is a fantastic peace of kit and im sure you will be chuffed with it. I presume you have found the function that allows you to record where you have been and then convert so you can view all the statistics on the unit ?

As far as routes go, i did get the online mapping free of charge from Satmap when they launched it. Its not fantastic as its not a full screen image. You can download GPX files from various sources including :

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/garbh-bheinn-loch-leven.shtml

http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/

and I think on here too but i dont seem to be able to find what I am after.

Any questions give us a shout.

James

‹bermensch
    hi james thanks for the input, the full country mapping at 1.50 came with the sat map bundle and also the power pack with the re chargeable battery so am ok there, have also managed to get the lake district premium mapping for 60quid from the field & treck sale down from 100 quid . have used it once so far where i live and got the snail trail which i converted to a track but that where the prob started when tried to download it to comp using satsynch. i also got the route planner and route share with the bundle. as for meeting up in the pub i dont remember mentioning a pub though that does sound good to me . maybe your mrs wouldnt mind if we met up for a day in the hills to chat about it? im in the north west near bolton by the way. cheers lfenbo

if you only have one track i.e. you've cleared out the memory at the start and you have a day walk then download the all_tracks.gpx file instead. i fondit easier and usually drag and drop the file out of the satmap into a folder for tracklogs to play with it.

‹bermensch
    ok thanks for that parky will try it next time i get out, (tomorrow hopefully) any more interested people??.

Anyone know how to set it up so when you switch it on it shows your current location? Please

‹bermensch
    hi david.... mine automatically locks onto where i am when i switch it on, i thought they all did?

I must have mine set up to show my home location I think as thats how it starts off I have to search around to locate my current position. I will need to check it out again when i get home at the week end

when it pressing the bottom left button shows where the unit thinks you are - the last place you were before it gets a lock and where you actually are when is has got a lock.

That sounds about right then

Thank you very much PA

my latest fun is satsync not wanting to recognise the satmap unit. hey ho.

‹bermensch
    hello all well today ive managed to download a route from satmap onto computer using satsynch and the share walks prog on satmaps website, surprised myself good style there, your right about the size of maps on there its not realy easy to plot routes etc as forever trying to move the map. had a few teething probs with the unit when out today but i think they were mainly where i had changed settings etc but think have sorted that now. am thinking that its just going to take lots of time and patience to really get the best use out of it, thanks for all the help so far and i would deffy still be up for a mini meet to exchange knowledge/experience etc. cheers lfenbo

I too got one for xmas,didnt get the power pack though .So mine eats batteries like a purple people eater,(Google it).Would recommend joining walkinghighlands as their planner is1:25000 scale,and full screen.If you have a look around the net theres a few sites offering gpx files to download which you save onto the map card.

‹bermensch
    thanksdavid have googled and tried to access that site but cant, could u post the full address of it please? cheers

Its walkhighlands.co.uk ,I cant c&p the link cause im on my phone.Once youve registered the gps planner is under your lof in name.Using it is simples,let me know if you cant find it and ill c&p it when u get home.