Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Talkback: Pure Soap In Liquid Form... At Last!

Quote Originally Posted by Spen View Post
    Pure soap and a down sleeping bag won't have any disagreement right? If not then I'll be off to get a few bottles so I can wash my down sleeping bag since it currently has a certain pong...

I'd quite happily use that combination, the difficult bit with down isn't so much the washing as the drying process - a couple of things to watch out for, be careful handling the bag when wet, water inside the baffles is pretty hefty and can tear the stitching if you're clumsy with the bag.

As far as drying goes, your best bet is a big, industrial-type tumble drier set on low for a longish time. Bear in mind, that even when the bag feels apparently dry, it's mostly likely still damp inside. Chuck a couple of tennis balls in to agitate the down as it dries and stop it clumping together and compromising the loft of the bag.

If you have an expensive sleeping bag, Franklins in Sheffield - details on the Rab web site - do a fantastic professional cleaning job. My expedition bag went in a river in Ecuador along with yours truly a few years back and never really recovered. Rab sent it off to Franklins for me and the thing is actually better than it was when new - lofts really hard and is super warm - an old Premier 900 fwiw.

you can't dry a sleeping bag in a domestic dryer. it just lofts and makes the machine thermal cut out work.

Goon

It'd be ok to run it down to a local laundrette and dry it out there though, right, that won't kill it?

Provided your confident about the temperatures in the local laundrette's dryer. You don't want to fry the sleeping bag either.

plenty of room in a laundrette dryer but as kate says i'd test something in it first to make sure it isn't in destroy the daleks mode.

Goon

That'll be one of my dad's cashmere jumpers then! (My gran has habit of shrinking them and they always miraculously shrink to an almost perfect size for me!).

Cheers for the advice.

Widdler
    Looks a bit odd to me, muddy water