Thread: Outdoor Show??? Hey fellow gear monsters

‹bermensch Bob C - backpackinglightdotcodotuk's Avatar
    I'm going up to the NEC with my 'you don't need that' lovely wife and I was wondering if anyone had been friday or saturday and can recommend any particular stands and general gear bargains.

Anything will do!

I'm sad like that!!

Oh yeah, anything for the love of my life too?

Cheers

Bob

I went on friday and was impressed by some of the bargains, especailly from "V12 Outdoors" - Arc'teryx, rab, and patagonia gear at half price!

Also, "Silver Trek" and another stand next to it (possibly "Outside"?) were doing good deals.

Another bloke with a 'You dont need that' wife!!
    I saw a pair of Regatta trousers in local cancer relief shop this afternoon only £5....'YDNThem'
    [well they were sand colour...]
    Anyone seen Paclite tops cheap there? Berghaus/ Sprayway ?
    We're going Sunday..rapid response needed!
    Ta
    MB

Got a nice Stone Monkey Wind-proof for £10 on the DMM stand.

Saw a couple of Berghaus Paclite tops for about £80 on the erm, Berghaus stall.

Much better for shopping this time. Very nice.

It's not just wives you know! I have a similar problem with my husband. I've been going on about getting a decent mountain bike for months (birthday coming up soon etc). Yesterday he came home all excited because he'd seen some brand new bargain bikes he thought would be just the ticket. Front suspension - good, and he's sure I could put up with V brakes although I keep saying I want disc brakes.
    The price? £100 reduced from £200. The shop? Toys 'R' Us.

**howl** he just doesn't understand me.

And just to get back on topic, I bet there were lots of decent bargain MTBs at the show, weren't there. Sorry I had to miss it.

**sob sob**

I got a Lowe Alpine micro grid shirt for £28 (30% off) and a pair of absolutely lavverly Brasher shoes for £40 (33% off), from Ellis Brigham and Cotswold respectively. What I wanted at a good price but not really spectacular bargains.

Surprised that Lowe Alpine didn't have a stand, just LowePro camera stuff.

Anyone else kill little Jimmy on the Scouts "Activity Leader Simulator"?

Alison, Have you tried leaving "What Mountain Bike" open at the appropriate page?

‹bermensch Bob C - backpackinglightdotcodotuk's Avatar
    On the whole I was a bit dissapointed in the things to buy at the show. There were no bargains, clearance stock (esp Karrimor which I expected) or well promoted items that I found.

You normally get a 'lost leader' to get you onto the stand salivating! Even Cotswold and Field and Trek, were just normal shop promotions.

Don't worry Alison, you didn't miss any bikes. There were a couple of bike accessories stands, but they were more for touring cyclists.

The stands I expected to see there weren't. Like as Rob says Lowe Alpine, Outdoor Research, Helly Hansen and especially a wider selection of tents, (just to see the damn things up!), but there again I hadn't been before so don't know how it compares to previous shows.

I would guess that most retailers now are running on very tight margins and so have minimal surplus stock. Also a small stand there is about a grand, and you have to sell a lot of water bottles to get that back, plus staffing costs etc.

One the whole it was a good day out and interesting to see what was offer to other outdoor enthusiasts.

Bob, I believe that the stallholders are expressly told NOT to run 'bargain basement' sales at the show.

‹bermensch Cara-Lyn:  Stealth Sloth's Avatar
    Well, could easily have spent a fortune, but had a good time helping my friend to spend her money instead! Best bargains for her were a Terra Nova top for £10, and a lightweight waterproof/breathable (can't remember which fabric) jacket for £50.

Thanks also to TGO for letting me swipe the contents of the goody bags without paying for them

Widdler
    My sister got some very nice Thaw gear (active performance clothing for women only) including fleece reduced from £70 to £25. Apparently the company is run by women mountaineers who set it up because they were fed up with having to make do with men's sizes.

""Anyone else kill little Jimmy on the Scouts "Activity Leader Simulator"? ""

no but tried last week on the SWCP near Winspit!

I was unable to go but I was wondering was there a great display of lightweight tents?

‹bermensch Cara-Lyn:  Stealth Sloth's Avatar
    Bryan - in a word, no.

there wasn't even a good display of heavyweight tents either.

I think it could have been bigger by using another hall for tents, but I guess it would have cost too much for the companies to do. Maybe next year...

Goon
    Thaw gear is excellent. Not been around for very long and not widely available. Needlesport in Keswick stock it, also the gear shop in Ballater, the guy there said they could not get enough, it just walks out of the shop.....I believe Field & Trek are about to start selling it. www. thawonline.co.uk

At the show my friend would have liked to buy a pair of Merrell sandals but the person on the stand said that as manufacturers they are not allowed to sell to the public, only to retailers, which may explain why there were very few manufacturers there. I bought some SealSkinz socks but had to go to the stand next door to get them and then back to SeakSkinz to collect the free liners!