Thread: Peak District

I want to go to the Peak District tomorrow and do a bit of walking. This is that most of the walking I do is in White Peak and I want to have a go at some of the 'larger' (and I use the term loosely) hills such as around Edale. Can anyone suggest a good way of doing this, places to park etc. I'm planning to arrive there at about 9.30-10.00 and will probably be in the area until about 6.00-6.30 in the evening. Can anyone help please???

‹bermensch Cara-Lyn:  Stealth Sloth's Avatar
    Hi
    I'm up in Edale on Sunday. There is a large car park with toilets etc on the "main" road from Hope, or probably a better way to describe it is more or less opposite Edale station, and down a bit. Anyway, it's at SK 124853. The problem is it's expensive to park there, so if you are getting there early (and you'd have to be!), drive up into Edale and park outside the school or pub (Old Nag's Head). There are about 6 or 7 spaces there, and you don't have to pay, but they get nabbed early!
    If you have time, a nice route (and probably one I'll do Sunday) is take the Pennine Way West to Upper Booth, then either a) follow it up Jacob's Ladder via what is marked on the map as "alternative route" or b) at Upper Booth turn off North up Crowden Clough to rejoin the PW at the top of Kinder. Either way, both sections of the PW converge at Kinder Downfall. From there I'd go NW to the intersection with Snake Path, and take SP following the river. Follow the line of the river to Rowlee Bridge, then back into Edale via various small paths and Ollerbrook Booth. It's a fair distance, but a lot of it avoides the hordes, (especially if you avoid the Jacob's Ladder route)

A nice small addition to a shorter walk on Kinder is SE from Edale church, cross the road, up to Hollins Cross, along to Mam Tor, and back to the car park along Harden Clough.

Have fun!

I know you said Edale but here's a nearby suggestion. I used to walk in the Peak quite a bit when I lived in Nottingham and this was one of my favourites. It's 12 miles and I suspect may be less busy than Edale (although not too sure about that).

I'm assuming you've got the Dark Peak 1:25000 map. Start at Alport Bridge on the A57 (just before the Snake Inn). Take the footpath going north along the western side of the River Alport to Alport Farm. Cross the River and Head for Alport Castles (East of Alport Castles Farm). Climb up at the Southern end of Alport Castles and then go along the top, heading towards Birchin Hat. You're heading for the trig point at the highest point on Westend Moor. It is at about 128933. From there head West back to the River Alport (aim for a couple of hundred metres south of Glethering Clough. Then follow the river in a northwesterly directly towards Grains in the Water. There's no path marked on my map (it's really old though) but it's easy to follow and there are paths on the ground. From Grains in the Water, you go West towards Hern Clough where you meet the Pennine Way. Follow the Pennine Way towards the South (and then South West) down Devil's Dike. You'll come to the point where Doctor's Gate bridleway crosses the Pennine Way. Here, go left (South East) until you get back to the A57. Walk down the Road (back in the direction of the Snake Inn) for a couple of hundred metres (this is obviously unpleasant but very short). Where Upper North Grain comes in to meet the road there's a path on the right hand side of the road that goes down into the woods at Lady Clough. Head off into the trees, dropping down towards the stream and use these paths to head (very) roughly South parallel to the road. This will bring you out onto the Road near the Snake Inn. From here, you should go up through the trees at the rear of the Snake Inn (or, of course, go into the Snake Inn) and work your way back towards the start (going above Upper House Farm and Blackden View Farm and down to Hayridge Farm and eventually back to Alport Bridge. If you can't park at Alport Bridge you can park up near the pub and start from there.

Thanks for those two routes.

It's a bit late but my favourite route in the area is Snake Inn to Fairbrook Naze, either walk along the NW edge to Mill Hill or if you are feeling fit and the weather is good cross the plateau to Kinder Downfall then along to Mill Hill. The plateau looks like the Somme on a bad day so take care and don't get lost!. From Mill hill follow the valley path (Black Ashop path?) back to the Snake Inn. The back end is less frequented than the Edale end so you might get a fairly solitary day if you are lucky. The lumpy bits north of Tintwhistle are a nice walk if you venture further afield but I'm less familiar with that end myself.

‹bermensch Cara-Lyn:  Stealth Sloth's Avatar
    Well I hope you had fun! Weather was absolutely vile yesterday afternoon up there and we didn't make it across the Kinder bogs to Downfall, and had to cut across west to go back instead. Grrr to friends who insist on wearing trainers
    Still, we had about 5hrs out before the rain, and were happy to retreat to the pub!

Mini Goon
    Do you know of any decent camp sites nearby, ones that are ok to take children?

In Edale?

The campsite is almost as big as the rest of Edale and is near the pub. I've taken my kids there before and it's been fine.

Two campsites in Edale, one right in the middle near the pub complete with cafe and one nearer the station. The central one would probably be better with kids and is nice and big though no special kiddy play grounds or owt like that.

Big campsite up near Kinder Reservoir near Hayfield as well, plus one near Hathersage.

I live on the edge of the Peak though, so rarely camp...

So we can all come and stay with you then Jon?
    :-)

Mini Goon
    Who would I have to contact for the main one in Edale? Is it easy to get to?

Cheers

In the centre:

Cooper's Camp and Caravan Site
    Newfold Farm, Edale, Hope Valley, Derbyshire S33 7ZD
    Tel: 01433 670372
    Proprietor: Mrs R Cooper

The one on the edge:

Fieldhead Campsite, Edale, Hope Valley, Derbyshire S33 7ZA
    Tel: 01433 670386
    Proprietors: Mark & Samantha Reeves

See:www.edale-valley.co.uk
    for more details and a couple of other options.

Mini Goon
    Thanks for the help Jon, I shall be booking up shortly!

The showers in Fieldhead can be a little chilly when it's below freezing outside....however the fields are flatter than Cooper's and there is a choice of fields so a party can be accommodated (for example) in the field in front of the loo block, away from the family field out the back.