Thread: Talkback: New From Haglöfs This Autumn, 2010

Looks nice... but a quick poll: does anyone here actually find those sleeve pockets (whether on Haglofs or anything else) worth having? (as you might gather, I'm a "no")

I've never put anything in a sleeve pocket, they're too small and unless it was just a hankie (which goes in trouser pocket), I'd be worried it would mis-shape the sleeve.

Ultra King

Ten Benson & Hedges and a lighter fitted nicely .

The new Haglofs brochure is worth getting just for the scenery pics.

Aren't they meant to be for ski lift passes or something?

Must admit to cutting (slightly messily unfortunately) the one off my intense zip t as really didn't fancy idea of having my fleeces etc exposed to that zip when it was layered.

More generally, not sure I understand what the small laminated pockets beloved of people are for at all actually. Mostly for the look of the thing I suspect?

Anyway nice to see a time relevant preview

Good for a credit card and house key when you don't need/want to carry more, on quick trips around town/school/shops. I find them useful in this situation.
    For longer proper outdoors trips I agree they are superfluous but look sort of 'cool'.
    (I need all the 'cool' I can get!)

Cathy.

I can't think I'd put anything but a lift pass in a small sleeve pocket. Or maybe a DNT hut key

"More generally, not sure I understand what the small laminated pockets beloved of people are for at all actually."

If you mean the small chest pocket such as on the Haglofs Oz or Rab Demand, then I've used mine for:

- a map, provided I'm only using an A4 print-out in an Aloksak

- a compass

- temporary stowage for empty stuffssacs e.g. as I pitch or take down the tent.

I agree they're not a particularly useful size but then that's part of the trade-off for the low weight of those garments, and on balance I'd rather have the pocket than not.

Initiate

The most stupid sleeve pocket I have encountered was on the Haglofs Intense base layer series this summer. The metal zip fastener stood so proud of the fabric that it would have undoubtedly rubbed at any layer put over it, (and if that was an Oz/Ozo paclite it wouldn't take too long to damage it).

(Apologies, I see Martin has made the same point. I hadn't noticed that the thread continued here!)

If you are talking about the chest pockets i find them great for Phone/walkman phone/phone camera,snakcs,sun glasses,lip balm,buff! etc etc....

I use mine a lot on my Kaza when out cycling or running or on the hill.

Dont like things in my pockets if i can help it,tho my Haglofs walking troos do have a nice inside pocket in a leg pocket for your phone so i does not just lie along the pocket bottom making your troos awkward (if you get me ) .

Life would be soooo much harder without them ....

I was thinking more things the Kaza, or maybe even more the small, contrast coloured ones like seemingly on the Wigo. The Oz's one looks a touch bigger. But I guess I use them for train tickets and the like so can't complain much either

And having checked about online I can hardly see any left now either. Clearly not 'in' anymore.

The one on the intense zip's sleeve is I suppose there to let runners use it as stand alone clothing with pocketless running tights/shorts. Fair enough but you do wonder why they don't do a pocketless version.

(the other base layer fabrics seem a bit warmer, although that might well change next summer I suppose.).

Übermensch
    Arc'teryx describe such a pocket on their Sidewinder Jacket as being an 'Opti-Radio' pocket, so maybe it is something to do chatting on the radio while cutting a dashing line on the ski-slopes. Or maybe it is for your jewellery or cocaine, given the jacket is £380. Or your helicopter keys ..

I have occasionally used an upper-sleeve pocket on a Rohan Backpacker top so it wasn't completely useless... but in hindsight I'd have been no worse off if I'd put the stuff somewhere else (and most stuff with a sleeve pocket has a few options for "somewhere else") and I came to the realisation that the only reason I'd used it was because it was there and I was going out of my way to put something in it.

Lift pass? well, that'd work for the remote pickup ones, but skiing in a hard shell by default ain't my idea of canny gear selection...

Pete.

Just back from a bike ride. The only place I had to put a key and phone was - guess what one of those little laminated sleeve pockets!
    Depends where you're going and what you're doing.
    Cathy