Thread: boots for narrow feet

Widdler
    I have narrow feet and on my last two weeks of munros, i blistered on the outside of both my little toes.A guy in the local outdoor shop told meI should be looking for wider boots- i know my feet are narrow so i was surprised. Is the advice correct, and any recoomendations for a brand best suited to my affliction?

Hi. Seems like strange advice! Scarpa SL M3 are quite narrow boots inside and and are recommended for narrow feet. I've got narrow feet and wear these when I'm hill-walking and, once properly worn-in, are extremely comfortable. If a boot is too big then the foot inside will slide around and this can be one of the causes blistering. Too tight will also cause problems, obviously. Scarpa do a BX (standard width) and a BXX (wide fit). Mine are the BX.

Cheerio, Twit

Fairly expert boot fitters have told me I have wide feet, and comparing them directly to others they certainly looks that way. And I've been choosing Scarpas after comparitive tests for almost 25 years now...

A friend once described Scarpas as "like razor blades" and much preferred Meindls. Another friend who appeared to have feet "likerazor blades" chose Meindl..l.

In other words, be aware that "narrow" or "wide" isn't much of a description for a complex 3d shape that can be wide an/or narrow in different places. For example, my feet seem to be quite broad in the forefoot but because my arches are quite pronounced they're effectively very narrow at the instep at the sole, but relatively wide higher up. And so on. The only way to be sure what fits you best is get out and try stuff on. Good boot fitters will know how to use volume adjusters and the like to stop you sliding around.

Pete.

‹bermensch
    .. added to which .. a decent leather boot should adapt to the shape of your foot, given a bit of time and wear, so it might make sense to get one that is initially a bit snug. You can always protect the odd blister prone spot till the boots sort themselves out.

Widdler
    thanks for your experiences/expertise - i didn't expect a magic answer that would direct me to boot A. i have been doing some reading/ research and have come across volume adjusters which certainly sound like they would be part of a solution. The question now is - how do you finda good boot fitter!I live in Edinburgh, anybody have any recommendations?

Tiso's have historically employed (and trained) staff with a reasonable degree of Clue. A long while since I've been in the Embra/Leith branches, but I'd trust the Dundee folk to do a fair job.

Pete.

well, narrow feet is really a very different kind of probelm but please tell me if someone look a best product for this.

Mini Goon
    I've been cursed with narrow bony feet and found that Scarpa Zero gravity 65, Scarpa Peak, North Face Hedgehogs and some Han Wags I got in a sale are the best for me. The volume adjusters I tried were too heavy believe it or not. No amount of padding will compensate for a good fit providing you try them on properly.