Thread: Best mapping software

Widdler

I have just bought a Satmap active10, and was wondering what software other people use. I want it to plan route's and keep records of my walk's (time altitude etc). I have the free satmap route share, but this wont do what I want. Don't want to spend a lot as the units just about cleaned me out. Ta

Quo will probably do all that for. The mapping is cheap for smallish areas. If you think, or are, going to build up a large map area then Tracklogs may be better as the map price differential start to fall very rapidly with large areas.
    Some people like Memory Map. I hate it for a number of reasons. The nain one being that in comparison to others it is clanky, temperamental sh1te.
    I can't comment on Anquet because I employ completely irrational, prejudicial and arbitrary logic to advertisers who piss me off too much.

I used to use MM until it really annoyed me one day then I switched to Tracklogs which is great. I have a few "fill in" coastal areas in Quo.

Is the Satmap active 10 'mapping neutral' then? Can you load any mapping / software onto it?

No, afaik Satmap uses its own mapping format, but it must be able to import and export routes, tracks and waypoints, in gpx format if no other. So these would be useable with any other PC-based mapping package.

‹bermensch
    I've used Memory Map for years. temperamental? clanky? ...works perfectly well for me for uploading/downloading routes and tracks and for printing.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

WheresThePath free, online route planning.

Certainly good enough to get you going until you figure out what you need from planning software.

Once you have the GPX route file, you can put it into GoogleEarth to do all the pretty fly-by stuff.

Memory Map distinguishes between a route and a track, which are effectively the same thing, and buggers you about when switching between the two. Tracklogs makes no distinction. The SatMap makes no distinction too.

You can transfer .gpx files to/from the SatMap.

SatMap's attempt at providing you with route planning is somewhat farcical if you've ever used any digital mapping before.

Widdler
    Thanks for all the replies. Just looking through the wheresThePath option (thanks CP). Parky you would fit in well with my mates on our walks while putting the world to rights LOL.

‹bermensch

Another option is Grough routes.. Full UK O/S mapping, route planning, storing, printing, fast online support for £1.80 a month. You can download a free trial. Last time I compared it to wtp there was no comparison (apart from the paltry fee). I've used memory-map for years, and so I've paid for it - but I wouldn't buy it now; Grough routes is so much better value, and much less clunky.

P.S. Memory map have launched a similar online product to Grough routes called Trailzilla - see here.

Goon

Ive been usig MM since 2004 version. its fine for me, and any quirks it has i live with (dont know any better?). I did think of upgrading myself, but then started questioning why? OK maps (1:50k all I use) would be more upto date but dont show CROW at that scale.

I think the reality is that once you have chucked your cash at it then you will be happy with what you have got. Routes / tracks yes agree are a quirk, but as I dont use a palm map of any description only use routes. My only gripe is when trying to split routes or if you have used a common way point and then want to segregate it for some reason.

You really need to have a good play in anger, rather than use the demo version to make your initial and probably only choice. How you can do that i havent got a clue! But isnt it the same with all stuff we buy!

Widdler
    Helpful post for everyone