Thread: Gas Cartridges

I need to replace a self-sealing gas canister for my go-gas stove, does it matter which make I buy? some seem to have a different gas mixture.Any thoughts please.

Adrian

Most gas cartidges use either a 80/20 or 70/30 mix of butane/propane. Butane will last longer as it is more efficient. Propane has a lower temperature threshold, meaning it will work down to lower temperatures.

If you are using it in the summer with hot days and mild nights, then look for a 80/20 mix as this will give you more burning time due to more butane.

If you are using it in cold conditions, then opt for the 70/30 mix as it has a higher percentage of propane.

Most canisters in the UK are 70/30. AFIK only MSR use 80/20, but are harder to find than either Coleman or GoGas.

I wasn't too sure of how many companies did 80/20 canisters, I know all Campingaz ones are, but they use a completely different fitting...

GoGas, now Karrimor GoSystem used to / still do produce a canister using isobutane. Claimed to work better in cold conditions, but also be efficient.

Cheers folks, I'll be led by the best price then!!

Adrian

Widdler
    Hi all, new to this, for my two penneth, I have the rekri8 thermopro. I prefer these types of stoves that are low profile without the stove sitting on top of the cannister. I use the long thing gas cannisters (far cheaper from cromwell tools) 70/30 mix. I have tried a mix I found of 60 butane/40 propane and thought 'great' for the cold. Burns well at low level but wind it up and its awful, DO NOT USE THIS MIX, especially in a vestibule 'tut tut' or you WILL have a chimney burned into your tent. I only tested it out in the back garden at about 2 degree's so don't know how it will fair below that.

I'm using the gosystem ones and they're good.
    Rekri8 are rebranding back to gosystem after the karrimor thing and they've updated the thermopro, it now comes with a braided hose and a much improved hose/ stove connection. Got one on Saturday, nice.

Widdler
    oh pooh, I have the older one with the neoprene hose, I must admit, the way the stove was burning I suspected air getting in there somewhere, oh well, cant complain got the stove brand spankers for 20 quid, thats why I got it at that price then. but otherwise I think its great, even though you can get smaller and lighter, I light the build quality and robustness. Thanks for the tip, Ill get onto them and see if the upgrade is available separately