Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pronation, narrow heel, wide feet and half sizes......a recipe for disaster!

Hey,

I recently bought two pairs of the women's Salomon 4d Quest boots, one for walking and the other for work. I bought them mainly based on the fact that i have always had Salomons, the reviews were very good and initially they fit very well.

I have always had major problems finding a pair of walking boots that simply just fit, i pronate, i am normally a half size, with a very narrow heel which is opposed to a very wide fore foot. With all these combined the Salomon 4d Quests are just not right, and over time they have given and the boot have lost there fit. I am really desperate to find a pair of boots that will fit me. As the problem i have is that the 5.5 are always just that wee bit too small, and the 6.0 are too big. Boot modification does not seem to help much either, as i have tried differents sock, footbeds......you name it i've tried it!

Any suggestions????

Mini Goon

I can't suggest any one make Mandy. I have discovered the hard way that sticking to one make / style / size doesn't guarantee that the boots will fit. Try lots and lots on (and not neccessarily expensive ones). You could also look into having some boots made for you. Altberg do them and there are probably others too.

find a different brand that fits. your currentn ones don't fit and whatever you do to them they never will.

i have a similar foot shape to yours and find meindl to be quite good for fit. their sizing will be different too as they use german sizing (the same as uk) rather than continental sizing.

what do you mean by pronate. everybody pronates as it's part of your stride. the ankle pronates at heel strike and follow through and supinates at pushing off.

you could also try not wearing boots for walking.

Mini Goon

If you mean you are over pronating then I think good orthotic footbeds could help, particularly if you have narrow heels it could be worth getting custom fitted ones.

I'd suggest going to an experienced boot fitter for help on finding a pair of boots or boot and insole combination that work for you. If you could say what area you live in I'm sure someoen will be able to recommend a shop in the ares.

Hey thanks craig for that bit of info, i have already spent the best part of a year trying to find some that fit which goes for the more budget ones as well. There just doesn't seem to be a good alrounder that i can just put on and be off......i will check out Altberg, thanks again.

Parky, as i said to Craig i have been around the houses trying boots on and nothing seems to fit. Or they fit wellat home or at the store, butwhen i actually where them outside they start to pinch or slip from the back of my heel etc.....i have the worse feet ever. The daft part about it is that i am not even fussy about it and have perservered by trying to modify various boots i have had in the past to get some wear out of them. When i say Pronate Parky i mean my feet unlike most folk who are are classified as normal pronators, my feet over pronate. So i have flat arches and hypermobility in my feet. Wearing no boots is not an option for me, unless i want a broken or twisted ankle whilst mountain walking, that is really a daft idea! As Parky you seem to know about pronation, you should know only too well that someone who has mild to severe pronation requires ankle stabilzation or motion control.... and a shoe would simply not cut it.

Thanks Neville, i do have some othotics made by a podiatrist and i have been seeing one for about 3 years, so as you can see i have covered most of the bases you would when trying to get that ideal boot fit. I live in Huddersfield by the way if anyone could recommend any stores or experienced boot fitters.

Mandy, you can get ankle stabilization / motion control through a decent orthotic as Neville suggested. I've got some that provide this for my over-pronating completely flat feet.

Do you have anything that corrects your gait? If not, it might be sensible to look in that direction before forking out on more boots.

I had to spend a fortune once I'd got orthotics because I had to change nearly all my footwear, but I've had years of comfortable walking from them.

ok - you've got orthotics! But you should still be able to wear mids or trail shoes with them if they're providing you with the correct correction.

I wear Raichle and Kayland boots - find they work well with my orthotics and narrow heels.

Meindl might be great if you are a guy, or a woman with narrow feet, but i have tried both leather and fabric in this brand and they are too narrow. If i then go up a size they fit in the toe box but are huge on the heel....

Metric Kate - Yeah i have some orthotics designed and made to measure, posted and stabilized and they work great. I really don't think it's so much the pronation that contributes to the ill fitting of the boots i have had and tried on. I find it's more to the fact that i am a half size in boots, i have very narrow heels and very wide feet and along with this quite alot of volume to my feet for such a small person. It seems the combination is making finding a boot such a pain.

Raichle are pretty much fit wise the same as Meindl they are way too narrow, as are Asolo, Scarpa and Brasher.

Ultra King
    You need bespoke boots but can you afford them? Altberg

wow > £1000 for a pair of boots, then again how much have you spent on Podiatrists, orthotics and boots that dont fit?

Steve D

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that to gain stabilisation that you must wear boots. This is wrong. So very wrong. Stabilisation comes from the sole and footbed combination.
    Something around your ankle does not provide any support or stabilisation. Your foot provides this.

You have agreed that it is your foot size and shape that makes finding boots difficult. I know the feeling only too well for all footwear.

metric kate is perfectly correct and i strongly suggest that you follow her advice rather than tell people they don't know what they're talking about.

Mini Goon
    I have the exactly the same feet but in bloke sizes. Have you tried putting a 2mm insole cut so it only covers from under your arch backwards under your existing othotic. I have this under my sidas insoles in my Scarpas Mantas and after 200km or so on my Solomon XT wings boats will be adding this as they have losened up a bit around the heel.

Übermensch

A generous strip (or 2) of Zinc Oxide tape over the heel?

Mini Goon
    pronation is a completely natural movement of the foot and is not a problem. you will cause problems by trying to correct it, as it is an intended function of the foot.

Mini Goon
    Hi Mandy

I also have narrow heels and wide fronts. I read somewhere that the Asolo Stynger has a narrow heel and wide toe and on that basis decided to try the new Asolo women's lightweight boot, the Spyre. It definitely has room for my wide front foot and better heel grip than I normally get but the size comes up small (short rather than narrow) so I am waiting for a half size bigger. I can't yet comment on extended wear but it looks promising. It is also stiffer and less squodgy than other lightweight female boots I have tried.

Clare

Ultra King
    Quote Originally Posted by tom 0 View Post
    pronation is a completely natural movement of the foot and is not a problem. you will cause problems by trying to correct it, as it is an intended function of the foot.
    Neutral pronation is normal, any degree of pronation beyond that is abnormal. You made the same mistake as the originator of not using a qualifying adjective. Perhaps you shouldn't attempt to correct someone else's terminology if you can't get it right yourself.

I took the reference to pronation in the original post to mean a degree of overpronation, which any reasonable person would.

Have you tried Crispi? I don't know about their walking boots but their telemark boots have your sort of shape. Maybe a bit too high volume but the insert should help with that.

Mini Goon
    perhaps you shouldn't attempt to correct people when you don't know what you're talking about. there is no "over pronation", the degree to which the foot rolls inward to absorb shock varies, and it is not a problem. as soon as you start fixing the foot in place you prevent it from working properly.
    can you quantify "over pronation", as you seem to know the precise degree which is "abnormal"? take your arch support, chassis systems, and heels elsewhere