Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TDF, anyone interested

Ultra King

I know their are cyclists on this site, any 'roadies' ?

Are you following 'le Grand Tour'. If so who do you think will win ?

Some interesting 'racing' so far ! Plenty of crashes, usual in the first few days but maybe worse this year because of the narrow roads and cobbles.

should be even better when they reach Mtn.s !!!

Contador for a win.....Evans maybe if he manages to slipstream him (hardly the most inventive rider).

The Tourmalet twice ...I've done it once; enough.

...Oh and Vino if his transfusion comes through....

Ultra King

The decent from Tourmalet is awesome

Any one think Lance has a chance ?

( Beening a "nasty little sh1t" I'd be 'inclinded' to try and force any rivals 'away by any means possible')

Only joking I'd be so far in the back of pack, ( if lucky), I couldn't make a differance.

At 38 - not even a lookin....and I think he knows it...

But riding it at 38....

‹bermensch That Blonde Woman.......'s Avatar

It certainly was an interesting stage to watch today

Ever hopefull that the Brits will do well but have more faith that Wiggins, Thomas & Millar will give the more consistent performance than Cavendish who the press seemed to have turned into some TDF God

Still early days but hope that Contador can do it agian

Cavendish is a nascent TDF God (gob)...it takes a lot of talent to win the sprint finishes and he managed (and that is the word) 6 Stage wins last year...

Lance is 39 by the way. The tour is i feelalready over for him inspite a huge effort on the cobbles to get a minute up on Contador only to see it all go tit's up when his front wheel got totallysmashed, It was amazing to see that his backup crew wherenowhere near him and it took them ages to reach him. That incident has really cost him!

A real brave effort in all, but i bet Lance is very veryangry with this crew.

So its between a quietbloke from Spain with an evil co rider, a thin bloke from a tiny country (who can't time trial) and a bad tempered uglyAustralian, ormaybe an ex junkie italian!

Ed to say Evans is anuninventive rider is absoultely ridiculous! The guy has never had a team so to do what he does is astounding. espeacially with the bad luck he's had.

As for Wiggins i reconno chance this year. Cav isthe best sprinter in the world, but his form is not so hot and this season has been a car crash for him. can't see him winning the Green jersey this year, I just hope he wins againon the on the champs elysees.

So Dancing Bertie (Contador)is still the man to beat in GC and the luck is certainly going his way on this TDF

He's 39 - bloody hell.

I still think Evans is a bit of a 'goal hanger' but I do see what you mean about his virtually non-existent team.

Perhaps Cavendish is finding his form, although the effort his team are putting in might be hard to keep up - I guess they can have a 'rest' in the mountains.

Don't know much about Geraint Thomas...can he climb?

Ultra King

No idea if G. T. can climb, any thoughts on Fleck? espec. now his brother is out??

Don't know if Sky have decent climbers on team, or maybe 'blooding' younger riders for next year?

Let the fun begin

Haven't been following the cycling closely enough this year to know who the best climbers are ATM so looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

I'll give Cav his due, he knows how to sprint but suspect the Green jersey may be beyond him unless some miracle happens. I have to admit he aint my favourite. I like my cyclists to be able to do a wee bit more than one thing. Years of indoctrination from my dad who was a time trialist

From what I can gather GT is a bit of an unknown when it comes to climbing as he's seemingly lost a lot of weight. It will be interesting to see how Team Sky put the orders out for the mountains.

I do have a soft spot for Armstrong even though he is a pigheaded Texan but for someone to go through what he has, retire then come back to ride TDF and still be in the top 20 says a lot. Oh to have a quarter of his fitness

Ultra King

A 1/4?. At moment I'd settle for 1/64!!!!!

One day out in mountains would do,

Not 'stumbling' around on crutches.

Hope you get better soon Huskeyman

Ultra King

Thanks TBW.

H.

On the question of age?, Lance isn't even the oldest in the tour, i believe two riders are evenolder. One of which isJens Voight of Saxo Bank a real hardman, hehas donemore work than anyone so far and has been driving the Peloton from the front.

Away from the Tour Malcolm Elliott is 49 years old and having come back from a long period of retirement is the currently the man to beat on the UK pro scene. He has been destroying the younger professionals.

Inregard to Cadel?, his teams have always been shit, so he has never had protection or help during Grand Tours. his last team Lotto where never up the front or could ride well enough to support him. So he has always been so easy to attack and target. Other Teams know this, So he bascially gets hammered, if he crashes he has no one to pace him back. In the 2008 tour CSC used the Schlecks to take in turns to attack him in Alps and get him so weak that when Sastre lauched his attack he couldn't respond.

This year his new BMC teamlook better on paper with the likes of Big George Hincapine, Alessandro Ballan, But it was business as usual in this years Giro with Cadel on this own with no team mates around him during the hardest, toughest GT iveseen.

The reason why people like Lance Armstrong and Eddy Merckx won so many racers is not only are they great riders, but they had the best Teams.

Roadracing is the ultimate team sport, Just look what Mark Renshaw did for Cav yesterday! Renshaw was awesome!

Could be a good day today at the TDF?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick the Mod View Post
    Could be a good day today at the TDF?
    letour seems to agree - and Mr Evans gets a mention..

We know who isn't going to win it?

Bye lance, bye fellow mod wiggins.

lance spend has much time on the deck as Audley Harrison ( the only boxer with an cauliflower arse!)

Ultra King

Well the next Mtns. after rest day seem to have narrowed GC contenders to probably Schleck and Conti, who's favorite now ???

I'd have to say at mo. I'd say Schelck, Conti looked like he was suffering and their's a lot more climbing to come. !!

Schleck cannot time trial so had better dig in....now...

Lance is 38 and probably 38th..

Goon
    Contador, but it will be damn close. But its not written-in-stone 'till Paris!

Schleck was looking very good yesterday, and sensibly decided to work with conti in the end, but in the post race interviews he looked confident. If he can get away from Contador somewhere he has a very good chance.

Lance is still amazing, without the support he has had in the past he is still managing to be in the top 20 and is talking about going for a stage win!

He had some really bad luck over the last few days, that crash right in front of him on Sunday was basically a guy tripping over his own food bag!

Steve D