Thread: Talkback: Monday Kit Tip - Summer Baselayer Tops

‹bermensch
    I've found long sleeved shirts are even better for summer use than base layer tops. They tend to be fairly loose, so allow very good airflow, are quick drying, the sleeves can easily be rolled up (and some shirts have tabs so they can be secured) and have collars that can be turned up to protect your neck, without feeling choked.

I'm a big fan of proper shirts with collars and roll up arms like the Craghoppers Nosilife shirts for summer use

http://www.craghoppers.com/webapp/wc...51_11051_25287

Like the article says, fold up the collar to help protect your neck from the sun, roll down the sleeves to protect your arms. Plus plenty of pockets for your compass, GPS, suncream etc which perhaps usually go in your waterproof jacket pockets in winter.

There is also the advantage of the looser fit hiding your man boobs and bear belly!

Or Paramo, or Haglofs (colourful things!) or Mountain Hardwear or Rohan or.... of course.

I do certainly agree to a fair degree, although it does slightly depend on whether you mean summer like we're currently enjoying - when its all very useful, but especially the collar & pockets for printed out maps - or something like the 'summers' we had in 2007 and 2008 when they'll end up layered under waterproofs a huge amount.

yep. you can't beat a proper shirt for summer. my neck and other bits is usually protected by a tilly hat. a proper shirt also gives you bits for blotting the damp brow - paramo shirts really do wick like magic and dry like magic too - current long sleeve fave is a rohan expedition shirt (2nd hand cheap off ebay).

short sleeved is a seemingly indestructible craghoppers nylon shirt i bought ten years ago for £5- not even a button has fallen of of it depsite all the abuse it gets.

something taht is really good on a shirt for summer is a double yoke (like the craggy). when you get hot and sticky then only the inner fabric sticks to your skinwhilst the outer layer slides about very nicely - makes carrying a pack that much more pleasant.

merino....pah!

That's interesting. I've never found 'proper shirts' to wick well enough for me and I always feel like a stray extra from Bridge Over The River Kwai. I don't particularly like merino in summer either, it absorbs a lot of moisture, but eventually it gets overwhelmed if you run hot and you end up feeling like a damp sheep....

‹bermensch
    Wicking is usually good in a next to the skin garment, but I don't believe it's the answer to all problems. I find it better in hot conditions to have something that lets the sweat evaporate right from my skin, so a loose shirt that doesn't cling to me is much more comfortable. And many "technical" shirt fabrics are very fine and fast drying, so feel no clammier where they do touch than a sodden base layer, however good it is.

Quote Originally Posted by

Mark Duncombe 2;851750
    There is also the advantage of the looser fit hiding your man boobs and bear belly!
    I agree. You'd never know it, but I look a right chubber in my Icebreaker Bodyfit

Ray is far from chubby!

i'm chubby...

i'm with guy on the wicking question. something else i've noticed is that because the shirt isn't in contact with you it takes far longer to start to smell (for those who can't or won't wash and/or use deodorant). really easy t give the underams a good wiping when wearing a shirt.

I've tried to like wearing shirts when backpacking....but I just don't...

...a nice sheepy 140 weight merino is just the thing.

Initiate

Has any one seen a 'proper shirt' made from merino wool for sale in the UK?

Depends if you count a three button, short sleeved polo shirt (Chocolate fish do one of those and it is nice, with a decent collar.).

May have seen similar things on other websites, although not to remember in a real store.

i've never understood why anyone wants to wear the second highest warmth to weight ratio fabric in summmer. it can only keep you cool by making you sweat more and hence make it damper for increased evaporation - my take on the physics says that coz i can't think of any other way it could.

Maybe because they spend time in the Alps or Scotland on multi-day backpacks - where (for me), a bit of weather protection and 'warmth' is nice...

I guess Surrey is different

Mini Goon
    I always find a 'proper' shirt feels clammy in the summer, but then I do overheat and sweat at least twice as much as anyone I know! My preference is a light base layer fabric with a soft handle, but it has to be loose fitting. My personal summer favourite is actually a cheap Regatta base layer, as it has the softest (and most comfortable) feel of any polyester fabric I've tried. It probably doesn't wick as well as the (much) more expensive tops I own, but it's just a lot more comfortable.

surrey. it's just like the alps is the surrey alps. hard to spot the difference most of the time. a better class of cow in the alps though where i always wear a shirtin summer too as i find a basleyer far too sticky.

mind you the sun shines in surrey and the alps. i guess waterproofing is more of a desired feature for scotland.

it's easier and cheaper to get to and stay in the alps than scotland too.

shirt = dashing young (middle aged)man

Wicking base layer = chubber, despite being 4 years younger!

lol mark.

‹bermensch
    I've been experimenting this year with a sub-zero lightweight baggy top and an Aclima t-shirt with string vest panels (oh! la! la!). The sub-zero top is nice a comfortable and cool but doesn't wear well. Worn a few times under a rucksack there are signs of abrasion , loose threads etc.

The Aclima is quite comfortable but having worn it only the once so far, I'll reserve judgement for the time being. The same Aclima style in shorts as a base layer is comfortable and shows promise (and a bit of flesh).