Thread: Ben More Assynt and Suilven

It is less than two weeks before some friends and I come to Sutherland,so it's way overdue for mesort out some routes!!!

Any advice gratefully received on books, web pages andbest routes. (esp. up Suilven and Ben More Assynt - we'll have two cars, so we don't necessarily need to do fully circular routes, first night in Inchnadamph so probably good to do BMA from there, next two nights in Achmelvic Beach, so hope to get to Suilven from roundabout there eg. start from Glencanisp Lodge and finish at parking area in from Inverkirkaig - hopefully this is a decent option?)

Cheers .... Simon.

oops - should be in walking and climbing forum, can't see how to move it sorry.

Ben More Assynt and Conival are straight forward enough from Inchnadamph although a bit boggy on the ascent of Conival. The return can be made by descending the south ridge of Ben More Assynt by the south ridge where there is one tricky section and don't leave the ridge too early.

As for Suilven with two cars you can walk from near Lochinver through to north of Elphin.

I have completed these hills on a few occasions so there will be more information on my web site.

Hi Simon

We did the Inverkirkaig to Glencanisp Lodge route over Suilven last May - and I'm quite glad we did it that way - longer walk-in, so shorter walk-out, and I suspect the descent off Suilven is easier to the north than it would have been back down the south side.

Whichever way you go, it's an awesome route, and way better to do Suilven as a traverse than an 'in and out'.

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    Agreed! Probably my favourite ever walk that day!

Hi, Simon
    ?? Stay in the bothy at Suileag north of Suilven. Shortens an otherwise very long day. Depends on your stamina. Lots of boggy bits whichever route you choose.

If you do the full ridge Conival/Ben more Assynt and come off the far end in poor visibility you will need very careful navigation with compass etc.- lots of drop offs. I know it's what happened to me!

Cathy.

thanks for all your kinds responses so far

minded to take up Kate's suggestion for Suilven, maybe adding some gaiters if it is very boggy!?

I'll have to check out the return from BMA via the southern peak - perhaps if conditions poor it is best to turn back andreturn via Conival?

PS we fly pretty early to Inverness so have all day to get to Inchnadamph (I guess we'll go A835 via Ullapool but could go A837via Kincardine Bridge), so any insightful suggestions for stopoffs ..... lunch, short walks (eg to waterfalls) etc. etc. .... will make me look really well prepared!

Simonx the route via Ullapool is two way road, the route over the Struie, Bonar Bridge, Oykel Bridge (A837)is single track after leaving the Bonar Bridge to Lairg Road. Some prefer the two way road although the single track route is shorter depending how busy the road is.

As for something to do en route. Just before Inchnadamph (route to the Corbett, Breabag) are the bone caves. A walk of maybe2K on paths leads you to caves where bones of bear were discovered.On walking up the path you will notice that the burn disappears underground and reappears lower down.

If going via Ullapool it is also worth a wander round.

Enjoy your trip.

‹bermensch
    A pie from the pie shop in Lochinver is definitely worth having -I like the Venison and cranberry - and fresh local shellfish and venison can be had from the butcher just up the road - get a taste of Scotland!

Hi, Simon

Lochinver has a PIE shop!! Extremely good - too good to miss. A wide range of home made pies both savoury and sweet. That should sort your lunches and possibly your dinners and breakfasts too.
    There is small eatery at the pie shop so you can have a proper sit down meal. Phone ahead to check availability. The hotel next to the Inchnadamph lodge was a bit old fashioned and run down last time I was there. Food at the pie shop is much better IMHO. Lochinver is about 20 min drive from Inchnadamph and the pie shop is on your right as enter. They do a mail order service too.
    Whenever we are going away the kids ask are we going near the pie shop, and pester like mad. We always bring some home with us.

Cathy.( I'm not on commission- honestly!!)

btw, the Lochinver PIE SHOP is legendary!!

Simon - we did the Suilven traverse in May last year; though it had been dry for several days before our trip, the previous week there had been biblical rainfall in Scotland. A lot of the ground dried out pretty quickly, there were some quite boggy bits on the northern side of Fionn Loch including some 'Jamie traps' - ground by little streams that looked solid, but when Jamie tried to jump over said stream revealed themselves to be very unsolid. The northern descent was a bit peaty/boggy in places too. I think we were all wearing approach shoes or mids, I don't think any of us were wearing gaiters, and apart from Jamie no-one got seriously damp. But as I said, we had had several days of very good weather previously.

More great info thanks, only there one night but not much online about Inchnadamph Hotel but the tripadvisor reviews sound okay and the staff have been very helpful on email to me, also they have a few veggie meals some of which change daily so all in all I think it'll be good .... aplus of course it is in a great spot!

Hi, Simon
    Inchnadamph has a hotel on the south side of the river and a lodge/bunkhouse/hostel on the north side of the river. I assumed (wrongly) that you'd be at the lodge. Sorry. The lodge is a great place to stay - basic but very comfy and clean and friendly. I guess you are not wanting to change your arrangements at this point. Something to remember for if you are in Assynt again.

Have a great trip Cathy.

unfortunately the lodge was fully booked when making the arrangements in January, but least it's meant we sopend two nights at Achmelvic Beach

Hi, Simon
    I passed by (didn't stay) at the Achmelvic camp site. Looks like a good location, right on the shore. Lots of views and plenty breezes/gales to keep the midges away.
    Cathy.

had a great weekend, lucky with the weather

I just wanted to say that I can see why Cathy thought the Inchnadamph Hotel looked "a bit old fashioned and run down last time I was there", it does feel a bit like that when you arrive and walk in but that is misleading, it was actually a very good place to stay, the decor was dated but not that oldor run-down, the staff were excellent (and knowledgeable about the area)and the food was really good too (despite incredibly large portions!). I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Oh they do packed lunches too, which is handy give the lack of shops around.

There were too many tired legs after Conival/Ben More Assynt/South Top - so unfortunately we did not get to Suilven this time, but Stac Polly was a great, scramblyalternative with no walk-in and allowed plenty of time for a couple of (brief) swims.

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar

"and apart from Jamie no-one got seriously damp"

Great fun to be had clambering around on Stac Polly. Glad you had fun

If I had 2 cars and was up that way I'd seriously consider the full traverse of Foinaven (plus or minus Arkle).

Another 2 car traverse would be from Loch na Gainmhich over Glas Bheinn, Beinn Uidhe and the 2 munros ending at Inchnadamph.

Worth checking ScottishHills.com for reports.

Foinaven

Arkle

BMA and Conival reports

Suilven Reports

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonx View Post
    unfortunately the lodge was fully booked when making the arrangements in January, but least it's meant we sopend two nights at Achmelvic Beach
    The Lodge is frequently booked up well in advance by parties from xxxxx University Geology students. Replace xxxxx by the name of any UK or Irish university