Thread: Reccommend me a headtorch please!

I have an old headtorch thats fairly big and bulky and am looking for a new one. My budget is £30 but I'm quite good at finding ebay bargains!

Priorities are weight, and battery life. It doesn't need to be all that bright although different options of brightness/longevity would be good.

And it has to sit on only one band round my head. Those ones with the other band going over the top just aren't compatible with my wild hair.

I've spotted this one on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330362671058&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I like the look of it but not sure if its really any good/worth that money.

Help! Thanks

Pay attention Simon

And it has to sit on only one band round my head. Those ones with the other band going over the top just aren't compatible with my wild hair.

Beanie - the one you link to looks OK, but the newer petzl Tikka and Zipka are better I think both £30 here:

Petzl Tikka and Zipka
    I've had an original zipka for years and have found it fine for most uses. On night walks I take a brighter 'sweep' torch, but the new ones linked above have a brightest setting which is enough IMO. (there will be many torch heads along soon talking about 'brighter and regulated outputs' but unless you are searching for casualties in the dark or like walking round mountains in the pitch black you probably won't need it)

nah - the Gamma has a battery pack at the back - it wouldn't stay on well.

Simon Barry wrote (see)

Pair of scissors...cut top band off? [/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    nah - the Gamma has a battery pack at the back - it wouldn't stay on well.
    Use the scissors to cut a reverse mohican through the wild hair?

I have an Alpkit Gamma (and also a Tikka, Tikka Plus, Duo, cheap'n'cheerful B&Q ones for the kids for comparison). I unhesitantly recommend it to anyone who wouldn't really benefit from cutting-edge technology (say, night-time orienteering, or MRT work, or hunting for lambs in bad winter weather on the tops of moors), but on the other hand £30 won't get you the best anyway, whatever you're up to. Also, the Gamma is over the top if all you want to do is read in bed or the like, cheapie from B&Q for that.

There's really very little to criticise in the Gamma and it costs less than anything else remotely as good that I've seen. A truly excellent bit of kit at a ridiculously low price for what you get. Outstanding value, and pretty damn good even if you don't factor in the price.

The only thing against the Gamma is it seems a bit too good to be true. But actually it's one of those rare occasions where it does do as claimed with no catches, and does cost what it says with no catches.

Pete.

I love the Gamma for the price, very good indeed. I took the band running across the top off and it still sits well.
    Read more: http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt//UTN/23897/V/1/last/1/SP/#ixzz0olDZ759Q

that was supposed to be a quote but it really didn't work... if you look in that article and find that quote (use ctrl+f) then you'll find it. Maybe gamma would be a good option after all.

Andy - Can't seem to find article, says its has been removed. If the band running across the top of the gamma could be removed without making the torch unstable I would consider that, although it does look like it might make it less stable.

The Petzl tikka looks quite like the thing I'm after, pity about the horrible and very ungirly colours That one on ebay is nice and pink although not as powerful on full power.

That's weird, I didn't insert the link, it came when I pasted the supposedly quoted text. I've had a look for under the exact same google search I did to find it and all I find is this thread. Sorry that it doesn't seem to be about but someone had done it and didn't think it made a difference although I remember the thread was from 2008 so the design might have changed since then? Maybe someone who knows can comment on whether it has.

‹bermensch Salmon Shirted Panther's Avatar

Zipka plus and Zipka plus 2 (the 2nd model has a red light too)

Lightweight with no fussy strap. Fits easily into your pocket. Reassuringly expensive (you can get LED headtorches for under a fiver)

Alpkit Gamma very functional, great price!

‹bermensch no longer the 'office manager''s Avatar
    I second the Gamma. It's great little, inexpensive headtorch.

Fortunately your crappy spammy linky doesn't work. Reported to mod anyway

Kate, if Om a like button I'd have just clicked it. Do they actually think anyone will buy anything from their annoying links.

Black Diamond Spot only has an around the head band. It lights up to about 60m too but is normally over £30.

But the Spot is very easily detached from the headband - it just kind of clips on to the headband rather than having the band thread through slits in the torch, and I've found mine has fallen off several times. Could be serious if you were on a steep descent.

I must admit that I've never had that happen. Isn't there another piece of the clip on yours that goes over from the other side to keep it on?