Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talkback: Alpkit's Revamped Sleeping Mat Range

Widdler
    Good job on copying Pacific Outdoor Equipment's sleeping pads. There is no innovation here at all, just copy cats. Check out www.pacoutdoor.com for the real gear! The guys at ALPKIT are tool beaters for copying another companies products. I guess this is what happens when you lack creativity. What's next, the Air Neo or DownMat 9 by AlpKit. Pathetic!

Hmmmm..... First post,you slate a manufacturer and then post a alternative manufacturers web address....

How's the job at Pacific by the way? Paying well?

You not only slate a manufacturer, but, a well respected manufacturer that has run with some great innovations.

Just how sure are you on your facts?

Stands back and waits for the "writs" to start flying......................................

Oh, yes, what is your interest in Pacific?

Nodrog.

They have both copied their basic ideas from lilo, and neither have succeeded in achieving a mat suitable for floating in a Spanish pool, drinking lager and developing a lobster red suntan. They should be ashamed of themselves, very shoddy.

Hi Copycat

I guess without knowing all the facts, then it would be easy to come to that conclusion, what i do know is that all the mats were designed ground up, to our own specification. We have researched the foam, the materials and most of all the size/weight/packed size combinations so we get the mats our customers want.

I'll check with Jim in the morning the exact relationship between our factory/Insulamat and Pacfic Outdoor. But it's a very, very close one.

As i am sure most people understand we have built up our reputation by being open and honest, did we invent the self inflating mat..NO. That wasJim Lea and Neil Anderson of cascade designs back in the 70s but luckly for those that cant afford them Pacfic/our factoryfound a way round the patent.

Are we looking at the neoair and downmat of course we are, our office is full of samples, but not until we have a spark of creativity will we be happy putting our own spin on things.

Cheers

Nick

Mini Goon

Nick,

Saw the Airo and Numo prototypes at Bath and thought they looked good. As a suggestion, could you offer a wider width in some of the lighter mats? Also, how about a decent sized inflatable pillow, something with a good bit of height.

Neville

Ultra King

Alpkit stuff is different to TAR stuff I know that. This is clear as they are slightly heavier for the same or equivalent product. I suspect those who started a market will most likely stay ahead of the competition.

Nick - good stuff BTW. just one question. When will we see something on the tents? Please say you won't be doing a Vaude Scutum / Power Lizard on us by tempting us with glimpses of a protoype then taking seemingly ages to actually get the final product out to market when the prototype looks totally finished. It is just torture to see a hint of something special then be made to wait for it. Its like holding a doggy biscuit up for a little puppy only to pull it out of its reach last minute.

Sorry, gear freak here.

Also Nick, Can you let me know if any of those rumoured tents youu have in development will be suitable for lanky bugger to use? I'm 6'5" and have to use a single skin or a tarp as I don;t fit into most light tents and can't afford the £400 pounds for the larger atko. Will the lighter tents yo hav on your design pads be bigenough for me to reaalisticaally use?

A spark of creativity here then, to give the Alpguys something to think about to answer Ttg's request for a tent for the larger camper.... the Procrustes Tent, the perfect size for any wildcamper looking for adventure

Obviously length to accomodate the lanky adds weight, but how much, 2-300gr. ?

Personally, and only being 5"9' it wouldn't bother me having to carry a little more weight for extra storage space without blocking the vents.

What weight would my fellow forumees be willing to carry. ?

Personally i use a comp but i'd glady carry a bit more weight to lose that damn pole hood and have an extra 5cm headroom.

It seems manufacturers are obsessed with looking to stay below 1kg, personally i don't understand that, unlewss they are specifically looking at the UL market.

Widdler
    Hi Everyone

I checked with Jim and it seems that the histories of our factory and Pacoutdoor have been intertwined for 27 years. The factory still makes for Pacoutdoor. In many respects it was one of the first Asian factories to spawn a brand and this is something you will see more and more of over the next few years.

Pacoutdoor is a seperate entitiy rather than the factories prevouis inhouse brands of Utex and insulamat. Since this development the factory have taken on selective OEM partners, and we now share production with other brand such as Big Agnes and Decathlon.

http://pacoutdoor.com/about/history

I hope that explains everthing but if there is anything else you need to know feel free to post up, if i miss it then email in and someone will be able to answer it.
    Other stuff

We will certainly look at wider mats in the lighter models, any development will be driven by requests.

Tents for larger people - we will certainly look at this but it is more likey that we will have a different model to suit rather than just make a larger version of the same tent.

Cheers

Nick

"any development will be driven by requests"

mmmmm - what can I ask for that?

Strange,

Copycat has posted and .................................................. .............

Meantime: Nick has made Alpkit's position very clear.

OK Copycat - you were the OP - what do you say now? Perhaps an apology?

Or, hasthe cat got your tongue?

Nodrog.

Hit & Run post, don't know what he's getting to twisted up for anyway, different companies make a product to do the same job....well surprise surprise...they end up with something that looks similar, only Alpkits is cheaper (guess that's what he's narked about).

Ultra King
    In the wind! Dontcha just love these single issue posters?

If only more posters were like that

Ultra King
    Oh yes!

Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

If only more posters were like that
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Mawr View Post
    Oh yes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Benco View Post
    Indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Ed isn't going to stop posting guys! Get over it!