Thread: Talkback: OS Data Decision Reactions

RouteBuddy cross-grades Anquet OS National Park maps for iPhone users, and from only from 9.99 http://bit.ly/bj3ATP

Initiate
    When I saw that the Pathfinder and Landranger map data was not included I checked to see if it was April 1st which it is. But I note it is not a joke after all!.

Widdler

2500 worth of maps on cd and you still have to pay for postage, looks as though anquet and OS all had a bit of a laugh yesterday...

looks as though new gen online mapping apps are continuing to be stiffled

Ultra King
    Well, I was sceptical from the start. The idea that this government would give up any income stream was always a non starter. Cynical? Me? Not a bit of it. I am just frustratingly aware of the slippery character of this government, as most thinking people must surely be, from witnessing its obfuscating serial sleights of hand. It's Brown, Mandelson, Balls, Harman, Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee and all the rest who are cynical.

so illegal file sharing is still the way to go then if you want to get the whole of Great Britain at 25k and 50k. Although it should be noted that the mapping you get through file sharing is not usually upto date and could easily be ten+ years old - but it is still perfectly adequate for walking.

I wonder if Memory Map will make OS streetview maps (now free)availible for their software because they already sell the equivilent A-Z maps

Widdler

@Mal Mawr - actually, the government has given up an income stream - it's going to subsidise OS to the tune of 20m to do this.

I'm the co-founder of the Free Our Data campaign, which through the Guardian's Technology section lobbied hard to get this to happen since March 2006. We're really disappointed that the 1:25K and 1:50K maps aren't going free - the Ramblers pointed out that there are all sorts of details they could build into maps, given the chance, which aren't there now - but it's a huge win that you can get 1:10K Streetview, which can be useful in particular circumstances. And now OutdoorsMagic can use maps at that magnification, and all sorts of vector maps, absolutely for free - so you can be better informedwhen something happens about where it really is, in glorious OS high quality.

It will be interesting to see how this affects pricing on GPS maps - one imagines it's got to push the price down.

I was going to buy some Anquet maps today after getting their smart phone app work on my old phone, But after seeing that ad they can go whistle. They're taking piss.

The article doesn't seem to mention what the OS data decision actually was. Would be helpful to the discussion.

Hi,

Probably the best two links you can refer to are:

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/opendata/

http://www.communities.gov.uk/public...veyconresponse

these give a pretty clear idea as to what is free.

With RouteBuddy being the first digital Ordnance Survey map supplier for the iPhone and iPod touch as well as for Mac for OS X we were, of course, waiting with baited breath to see what was going to happen to digital map prices if the 1:25k and 1:50k data had been made free. What would other digital map producers do? For many suppliers it may have been to start asking for payment for their software which until now has been "free" with the map?
    Clearly there has to be some charge for turning the data into a format readable by a particular device, as with anything you take in raw format and convert to a format suitable for the customer. Likewise, the Ordnance Survey still has to cover the cost of producing the Landranger and Explorer series in paper format for us all to continue to buy in the format we all know and love... yes, they may have been cheaper if the data had become free, but then how much cheaper? After all, Ordnance Survey never had to pay themselves a licence fee for each map they produced so in essence the paper maps would probably not have been much cheaper at all!
    It comes down to what is convenient for each individual customer to use. If you are happy to print your own map from whatever is available from the web than that is fine but... Will the scale be right? How many sheets of paper will you need to take with you? If you are happy to use a map offered to you on your phone from a provider which accesses the web to get the maps, will you be happy to pay the internet connection/roaming charges? Will you be able to get a signal in the wilds of the Lake District? Will you always get the map tiles you want when you want? There are lots of arguments such as these!

In essence you are paying for the convenience of how a commodity is presented and what you can do with it as compared to the raw material.

No doubt over the coming months there will be some jostling for position with special offers but it comes down to what you want, when you want it, and who offers the best for your needs. Not everything is about price.

As regards Anquet's announcement... we had that whole 1:25k UK map covered a few months ago on our store with our range of 1:25k regional and whole of UK digital maps for iPhone, iPod touch and Mac for OS X but we decided not to make a big show of it because we considered these as being more of interest to our business customers.... and, as Jon commented, as far as "What it means for you", I would say that... "Not Much" is a pretty fair comment now that the licence fee for 1:25k data is still applicable which makes the whole of the UK a fairly unviable proposition for most!

Jannion Ireland
    RouteBuddy Ltd

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

At the very least, I would have liked to have seen a single user licence system, so that, having once bought OS mapping, it would be useable with any of the digital mapping software.

Then mapping software companies could concentrate on competing on software features, and leave the mapping to be sourced from elsewhere: the OS, perhaps...?

well said capt.
    "Clearly there has to be some charge for turning the data into a format readable by a particular device" why? the device is an operating system and they are all more or less compatible with each other.

i think you mean something along the lines of "leveraging product to maximise revenue streams" aka con the poor bastards.

the map data is purely that; data. trying to make it anything else is bollocks and you know it is. map data isn't any different to a spreadsheet or a text document.
    here's a word processor but we are going to charge you to save your documents in a device friendly format. bollocks and more bollocks.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

> i think you mean something along the lines of...

... creating bespoke data formats that are deliberately incompatible with other mapping systems...

(partly due the the OS licencing agreement, I understand).