Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outdoors show 2010

Mini Goon
    What can i say went this morning for the first and probably last time to see the Outdoor show. To say i was disappointed was an understatement only a few main stream manufacturers and very few retailers.
    No Cotswold's, Go-outdoors etc. Plenty of places to eat etc, Some very good display's going on i.e mountain rescue amongst others. Would i pay £11 plus £8 parking again don't think so. And finally before somebody on here says it i should have listened to the forum comments. I.e Told you So.

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    Its moving to London next year and the format looks like it may be changing a little too!

£8 parking!?!?! Are you serious? I was expecting it to be about £5.

Mini Goon
    The format needs to seriously change and yes the parking is £8,

Glad I didn't go I was thinking about it for a time! Parking is always expensive at NEC and an add on to whatever you are going to watch. One to miss in the future I think.

Along with a group of about 8 mates I've got free tickets so we're heading there tomorrow anyway. £16 worth of car parking though...

Initiate
    Was not planning on going but get complementary tickets through my walking club. Agree with previous posts about lack of Retailers same also applies to Outdoor Kit Manufacturers. No Berghaus, Mountain Equipment, Rab or the like. Even Montane was a bit f a disappointment as they did not have the full range on Display but at least I had the consolation of picking up a pair of the limited edition Powershield soft shell trousers.

thought about going as well, sounds disappointing like last year which I was put off about so glad I didn't make the trip.

Won't go to london, to far for me.

Need something in Wales I think.

Mini Goon
    I need to show my other half this thread, maybe she will forgive me for not taking her this year.

I visited today because I had some complimentary tickets.

I have to agree with the comments above. The whole show just seemed a lot smaller than last time I went (about 5 years ago). There were some significant players missing. It is still worth going if you need to build up you climbing rack though, because of the excellent discounts on the DMM stan.

Visitor numbers still seemed to be good though.

I think I read that next year it will be merged with the boat show. If that means it will be at the Excel Centre, then I won't be going. That place is a pain in the arse to get to.

the excel centre is easy to get to on public transport

From where?

anywhwere in london or train termini. or park and ride (probably cheaper and quicker than driving and the car park).
    or even something outdoorsy like walking.

I would have to agree with folks here, i went last year and it wasnt too bad, but this year just seems to have become a jumble, if it hadnt been for the triathlon show being on at the same time there would have been even less.

Lots of colleges and uni's but only a few UK gear companies

Dont think will bother going next year

Hmmm, we went today (first and last) and were a bit disappointed. High ticket prices for whats mostly an expensive market with a few displays (climbing was good). Went to the game fair (in Wales) and the forestry show which were much better and more fun for the kids. I did buy a good tent though and was pleased to see a reasonable selection to drool over.

I went this year with my 10 year old daughter. She loved it. I enjoyed it (I have been every year for a few years now). She was able to do various active things (climbing wall, "street surfing" etc). We watched the Skymasters and we also went to see Simon King's talk. My daughter adores Simon King.

I think it was smaller than last year, but that is only an unscientific "I think". But we spent the day from 10.30 to 5.30 and stayed happy all day.

In terms of bringing a youngster on in her enjoyment of the outdoors and active pastimes it was fine. If it moves to London I will never go. I live near Wolverhampton and couldn't afford the ridiculous train fare or the time it would take to get there and back. Why does everything have to be in sodding London anyway? The NEC is far more accessible for far more people. Gosh it makes me cross.

It did seem a lot smaller than other years. I really struggled to part with any cash.
    Saw Leo Houlding's talk (didn't pay, just stood outside) which was really interesting. Also caught a few snippets of the Cicerone talks, I've been convinced to take a good look at the Pennine Way for this summer.

I did manage to win a Berghaus rucksac and three nights accommodation for up to 12 people in Beddgelert though, so it was worth the journey!

Ben... sorry if I've convinced you to walk the Pennine Way! Which reminds me... I should launch a mini-draw for my Pennine Way guidebook soon.

I have to say, I took a wad of cash with me, but didn't spend any of it. However, I was delighted to be able to check out some of the new lightweight Paramo garments, and I'm definitely keeping my eye on those over the next few months. When they started making things out of the lighter materials, they all got snapped up pretty quick, and now they're gradually using the lighter stuff on a wider range of garments.

Went thanks to Mole letting me have his tickets and whilst it was small, managed to spend over £200! It costs £350 per sqm to have a stand at the nEC...

I was somewhat underwhelmed to be honest. It went through a couple of quite impressive years, but now has a distinctly washed-out feel I think.

Interestingly, next year the show is amalgamating with the Boat and Bike shows for a January date in London. Maybe that'll give it the boost it needs.