Thread: Camping on Suilven?

Mini Goon

My 50th birthday approaching and how to celebrate it? I thought about camping on top of Suilven which is near Lochinver in Assynt! Has anyone here done this, has anyone been up Suilven and reckoned that there might be a spot to pitch a tent?

It would be nice to be up there watching the sunset whilst sipping a dram!

What's the path like from Lochinver to Suilven?

Looks possible - scroll down to Langur's post a third of the way down the page...

‹bermensch

Was up there a year or so ago - plenty of places to camp along the ridge, you ascend next to a stream so water shouldn't be an issue - save a drop for your malt - there's a bothy at Suileagto fall back to in case of bad weather .. there's even a wall on the ridge you could shelter behind. The Pie shop in Lochinver is a good place to stock up - try the venison and cranberry.The path is initially a road to Glencanisp Lodgethen a good fast track until just before Loch na Gainimh.

P.S. Probably best to leave the malt until after you've done the Meall Meadhonach end.

P.P.S Just checked my summit snaps - you could camp right at the top if you fancied.

‹bermensch
    It's on my list of things to do - nice bit of grass with good views. When's your birthday ?

Goon

Thread hijack warning...

Does anyone know what bivy is the one streapadair is using in that incredible Suilven picture??

It's clearer in this picture:

The nearest thing I can think of is the TN Saturn, but this has got a hoop in the middle as well. It probably weighs a ton, but it looks a nice shelter for summit camping.

Sorry EF for intruding on your thread, and may you get a cloud inversion as good as that when you get there!!

Mini Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by ALoveSupreme View Post

you ascend next to a stream
    Not necessarily - you most certainly do not if you climb up from the South West.

Loads of space for a tent on top, though.

Goon

Well, I've answered my own query...

The tent is a Phoenix Phoxhole - single-skin Goretex, 3 hoops, 1.3kg. It was only produced for a few years around 1980.That's what the man himself said on UKC.

Bonnie wee tent.

‹bermensch
    You could camp where there's a bit of dry stone wall in the col between the two tops of Suilven -- as long as your tent doesn't have a big footprint. Probably better by the little lochan on the ascent route tho -- plenty of water, better pitches and it's not long to the top.

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by Damien ONeill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ALoveSupreme View Post

you ascend next to a stream
    Not necessarily - you most certainly do not if you climb up from the South West.

Loads of space for a tent on top, though.
    If you read the o/p you will see that he enquired about going in from Lochinver,from which the normal route will indeed take you by water almost until the bealach. Most certainly.

Mini Goon

Goon
    Wow.

Mini Goon

Yes. Wow! Ivo's photo is what I had in mind! October 15th is my birthday. Living in Darkest Scandinavia (Finland) means it's tricky to get to Suilven, the Lake District is easier and I had Sharp Edge & Blencathra in mind, but Suilven would certainly be something to remember!

June 2006 went up Ben Nevis & Ben Hope (northernmost Munro) but we didn't have time to go to Suilven, though we did drive through Torridon and saw Liathach & Beinn Alligin; and stopped at Ardvreck Castle which had a special interest from me having read the book "Montrose - Cavalier in Mourning" by Ronald Williams. This is a well-written book describing surely what must be one of the most fascinating episodes in British history, James Graham more or less single-handedly fighting for King Charles I against the Covenanters (a bit like the Conservatives against corrupt "New" Labour !??). I would recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in Scotland, and if there was a Heaven (apart from Scotland and the Lake District!) I would certainly like to have a chat with James Graham, First Earl of Montrose. Brilliant guy - sadly he ended up being hung, drawn and quartered, just like Mel Gibson before him!

Ivo - sending your picture onto my girlfriend, she's the one coming with me and the one who has to make my porridge in the morning up on top of Suilven