Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip reports section for OM?

In response to a comment I made on Yomper's thread about his new outdoors Forum....

I wouldn't like Yomper's thread to get swamped by any views about OM, so here's the comments so far...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Doran View Post
    We can have a trip reports section, albeit a simple one like a new forum section?
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Kate View Post

Well, I would, Jon, people do post trip reports, but they tend to go all over the place - it'd be nice to somewhere you can go to to find trip reports in a coherent section. I'd ideally like there to be a geographical sub-division, even if it's just into the UK's 'bits' if possible, and people might (possibly) link in with the route planning facility?

But that's just my opinion, and it's rather wandering off-topic for Yomper - perhaps a new thread to discuss it would be in order?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Trip reports is the best bit of Scottish Hills

Yes, I'd support that, I really enjoy reading people's reports.

Excellent idea.

Me too.....

‹bermensch no longer the 'office manager''s Avatar
    et moi!

Would the proposed 'trip reports' still pop up if I clicked 'latest posts'?

It's just that it's the ONLY thing I ever do to see what's happening!

another 'aye' here.

Yeh, not a bad idea. It sometimes feels like OM is full of gear discussion but not much on getting out. I'm sure trips do get discussed and reported but hidden in other threads so not so easily visible.

If it's just a forum sub-section, then we might need to try to organise it ourselves using some standard conventions in the thread heading and sub-heading.... maybe get the general area and trip descriptor in the main heading and use the sub-heading to add keywords to help searching e.g.

TR: Lake District: An Ennerdale Round

winter, Wainwrights, wildcamping

Not saying that's the correct format to use, just an idea for discussion. If we could agree something then perhaps there could be a sticky thread at the top of the section (like in the classifieds section) to outline the conventions in use?

These people all say aye too

Sounds like a good idea.

Maybe something could be done about uploading piccies though? There would be quite a few in a trip report, and sometimes it can be a hassle trying to resize them to fit OM's parameters.

Trip reports?

It would never catch on

Ultra King AT (http://AyrshireTiger.wordpress.com/)'s Avatar
    LOL Kinley. Aye, would be good to have an England, Wales and Ireland version of Scottish Hills Trip Reports!

sounds a great idea given that i have been in Nepal last Nov and Dec and it would maybe help others,who areon a plan to make the trip in 2010,andbeleve me i can say that theAnnapurnaRegion has changed for the worse since Jon did it last,and its not going to improve.

Banned

Looks like my new forum came in handy anyway, the trip reports idea I mean

Widdler
    Excellent idea. I often look at walkingforum mainly for the trip reports. (I think Yomper used to be a member there) It has a wide range of reports from all over the country with several posted each week. There are lots of hugely experienced and regular walkers here and it would be good for those of us who cannot get to the hills as often to enjoy their trips virtually.

Banned

Yes Mark, some of the Trip Reports there are mine, also some other trips I was involved in too.

Been walking 42 years now, still writing Walking Journals from my walks ( not into blogs )

I tried to post as many photos as possible too, it gives the viewer/reader some of an idea what to expect on certain walks

I recently posted on my hill walking site a trip report on the Alport Castle route in the Upper Derwent Valley, Peak District I did 2 weeks ago ... cracking yomp btw

For an idea of that particular walk - 'copy n paste' link :

http://hillwalkinguk.lefora.com/

‹bermensch
    I'm all for a trip report section but not as a forum discussion component. A report is a report and should be left as it is not as the start of a general discussion which wanders of course, starts arguments and insults between people and then with a bit of luck on page 5 may get back to the original theme.

Ultra King AT (http://AyrshireTiger.wordpress.com/)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro (el magnifico) View Post
    I'm all for a trip report section but not as a forum discussion component. A report is a report and should be left as it is not as the start of a general discussion which wanders of course, starts arguments and insults between people and then with a bit of luck on page 5 may get back to the original theme.

Trip reports within a forum works OK on Scottish Hills.

‹bermensch That Blonde Woman.......'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro (el magnifico) View Post
    Have to disagree with you there pedro. If people use the forum as the code of conduct lays out then there shouldn't be any of the negative stuff you describe above.

As a few people have said above the trip reports work well on Scottish Hills and it gives others the opportunity to ask about such things as access issues, route finding etc rather than just be a dry account as the OM routes section is.

I think it'll be great way of inspiring others to try stuff they might not have considered before.

Scottish Hills trip reports inspired me to several trips there last year and more planned for this - they are outstandingly good at times; the info available on the site re. routes is superb and detailed.

That Kinley fellow is a wrong-un though...

I have lurked there for 2 years or so and should really 'pay (them) back' by posting my own effronts...

Would be good to have something like that here...so, that is a YES

I did rather have the Scottish Hills trip reports section in mind, and Mike's right that it would be great to have the gallery made a little less fiddly to read to allow the insertion of good photos easily. I find when I'm loading photies that they also jump to the top of my dialogue box and it can be an absolute pain to drag them into the 'right' place!