Thread: Lined thermos?

Does anyone make a decent thermos that doesn't have bare metal on the inside? Metal ones make tea taste disgusting.

I've considered trying to spray plasticote or something into a normal thermos, but I suspect that's harder than it sounds, and I'm not sure it's either foodsafe or resistant to prolonged exposure to boiling water.

I know a few companies still make glass thermos's, but they are too bulky for overnight trips.

Any ideas?

Zojirushi flasks - not cheap, hard to find, but excellent quality, lined, and very light too

And should be available here (we've had a couple for a few years, both going strong, but I bought a new one from this site in late August)

‹bermensch
    Tea left to stew for hours always tastes disgusting to me, even if there's no leaves or bag in there. The taste is even worse if there's milk in with it.
    I usually take hot blackcurrant, which gets around the problem, but if I do fancy tea then I take a flask of boiling water and a couple of tea bags and brew up as I need it.

what matt said. worth every penny.

Mini Goon
    Re Matt and Parky,i got my Zojirushi flask in john lewis a few yrs ago and its a little belter.

Jon,

I never put anything but water in my old Vango melt flask - make the tea in something else with the hot water you're carrying. The other plus is you can use the water for something other than tea (soup, coffee, hot chocolate, rehydrating a meal pouch....)

From years of using a SS flask almost daily for tea[*]Carry Milk separately and add to tea - (edited -see Johns Posts Below!) doesn't'cook' the milk[*]Keep the flask for tea only[*]2 tea bags in with 1 litre boiling water[*]learn to love stewed tea[*]Never wash inside flask - just empty and rinse at end of day[*]Then, you will get a lovely brown tannin coating on the inside of your flask which ensures that even if you put just boiling water in, it will taste of tea![/list]

Mole,

what do you mean 'keeps it hotter'?

At least in theory, tea stays hotter for longer if you add the cold milk at the outset and not when you are about to drink it. Or I thought it did...

You're right actually John - I've been told that that theory - same with adding cold water to the bath. But it seems counter-intuitive!

Right everyone - forget that bit of my 'stewed tea in flasks 101'!

Hey Mole,

after your excellent advice on secateurs for my mum, it's the least I can do!

Quote Originally Posted by Glad the secateurs went down well. :) </blockquote><blockquote class="quoteheader"></blockquote><blockquote class="quoteheader"></blockquote><blockquote class="quoteheader">John Burley View Post

At least in theory, tea stays hotter for longer if you add the cold milk at the outset and not when you are about to drink it. Or I thought it did...
    After a bit of googling it's still not clear to me that this is quite as clearcut

an example

also, another source says its more to do with conduction and convection rather than radiant heat loss (thermos flask?)

Go on John - get your Boff's mind on to it