Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buyers' Guide - Trekking Poles

Widdler

Hi there,

I have seen some people use just one trek pole. So is it One or Two?

Two

It really doesn't work in the same way with just one. Learn to use two efficiently, then try one....

Widdler

Thanks.

Two it will be then.

David

Didn't mean to appear brusque

Good luck - it's worth getting a demo from an experienced user (or look on you tube maybe... ) Peter Clinches Pole Pages are very useful

I'm a two poler myself but as someone pointed out on another thread some months back, historically travellers have often had one pole/stick.

Two makes sense for me and aid balance in some situations and help with rhythm too.

Widdler

Thanks to all for your replies. I shall now get myself Two poles.

Dave.....

Just been looking at the guide, and for the most part good stuff but...

Removable, ski-type baskets tend to fall off and get lost

...is news to me. I've only ever used my actual ski touring poles and so I've always used ski-type baskets, and have been using them for about a dozen plus years for walking, and in all that time have never lost a basket. In fact, taking them off for whatever reason has always proven a bit of a beast! (with both Leki and BDs).

I prefer (non-powder) baskets to cones, I don't find they get in the way and they give one helluva lot more support when using poles to vault bogs, or on snow.

The one vs. two thing... well, two work better for keeping weight off your joints, but if you've only one leg that needs special looking after one is enough (use it on the opposite side to the weak leg) and that leaves you a hand free for something else. Like a map, camera, GPS. For me the real downside of poles is having my hands full, so even though two are often more effective for keeping off the weight I sometimes find one preferable in practice.

My favoured ones are ski touring poles (a bit stronger and not covered in (IMHO) mis-features), and for me I can use them skiing too) which come in pairs anyway...

Pete.

mmm

went on a walk with a group yesterday - 12 of us - the others were mostly LDWA veterans. Of the 12, 10 had poles with them.

3 (me included) used 2 poles and used them constantly.

4 used one pole constantly, but not in the same sense - often just seemed to be carrying them and using for gesturing.

3 carried a pole on their pack, but never used them

personally I can walk significantly faster with poles (2) especially up hills

If I tried using just one pole the way I use half of the two (if that makes sense!), it wouldn't work.

A single pole is useful as a walking stick for rougher terrain and river crossing and for a slight easing of weight on either side on longer walks. Two are better for a specific pole walking style but one is good for balance when the terrain isn't good.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnoS View Post
    A single pole is useful as a walking stick for rougher terrain and river crossing and for a slight easing of weight on either side on longer walks. Two are better for a specific pole walking style but there'one is good for balance when the terrain isn't good.
    A more helpful answer than my original post

(apart from the 'there')

Doh, and I'm usually a real spelling and grammar freak. You could at least have not quoted it so I could ed it out

sorry Jonno

For anyone wanting to try two poles on the cheap, LIDL have some for £11.99 the pair in their special offers from Monday 31/8.

Widdler

Carbon fibre or alloy?

My knees have seen better days so I am pretty much pole dependant. My 12 year old Leki alloys were really deteriorating despite an annual dismantle, dust and clean, so last year I purchased Lidls super lightweight carbons. Fantastic bargain, however, how do you keep them up as the fibre turns into dust?I found the answer from somone who worked for Giant bikes who were familiar with carbon seatpost collapses. The secret is to spray the inner tube with sticky hairspray or Scoch Spraymount and reassemble at the correct height. So, downside,they stay in the car at full length, and the Lekis are for the airport or rail station.

Any other thoughts on this?

Mini Goon
    So a pair of alloy poles lasted 12 years with the occasional clean but you think that the carbon ones are a bargain despite needing to be bodged to work from new and even then you've reduced functionality?

If this was me my thoughts wouldn't really be printable. Still, saved a couple of quid I suppose.

Widdler
    so--what is the quality difference between leki and black diamond walking poles?

‹bermensch Salmon Shirted Panther's Avatar
    £20.

Goon
    Two

‹bermensch

Leki's are heavy but also less prone to break under heavy weight. Fizan Compact are the lightest alu poles. Even a bit lighter than Leki carbon poles. But the Fizan Compact is a bit shorter. I guess the alu wall of theseFizan compact pole is thinner than a Leki's. Fizan is also way cheaper. So you might break one without falling to tears.

I only use poles when snowshoeing (two poles that is) and when I'm tarping (two poles) or using a 2 person tipi. Might change walking poles when tarping or using tipi for a lighter carbon poles (not suited for walking)

‹bermensch
    I saw in a branch of Cotswold's the other day a video on trekking pole techniques, produced by Leki. Mind you it was £12.99. If it had been under a tenner I'd have bought it. If it's still there on my next visit....