Thread: help plan my summer holiday in europe!

Mini Goon

Hi,

I need help planning my holiday. We have two weeks booked off at the end of August and don't know where to go!!! We would like to go to somewhere in europe and hike from campsite to campsite (or maybe gites or huts - pref tents) over about 7 days, leaving a day or two at either end for chilling out and travel-time back to Manchester.

We have both a hiked a fair bit in the UK. The fella has been to switzerland, but neither of us have experience of trekking across snow or glaciers, so we would prefer to stay away from high alps - apart from as tourists on a cable car! I don't like it too hot, nor too cold!

So far my ideas have been lacking in details, as I don't know where to look for campsites etc, and I have never stayed in a hut and don't know what to expect. One idea I came up with was to fly to geneva, then trek across to Chamonix, then get the train back to geneva. The other was to go to Montenegro and just "explore". The third idea was to drive across europe and then explore the Black Forest in Germany. As you can see - I have no idea, and will probably end up down a crevasse! As you can tell, I don't have loads of experience, but we are both sensible, cautious and read the manual

Any wild or sensible suggestions most welcome! Any tips for websites to help me plan are more welcome!

Ta!!!

</blockquote>

Any wild or sensible suggestions most welcome! Any tips for websites to help me plan are more welcome!

Ta!!![/QUOTE]
    Get up each day and select 6 places within a reasonable day's travel then give each a number from 1 to 6. Roll a dice and go to whichever place the dice ends up showing. Wild, but it made a great TV show a few years ago and guarantees an interesting time

Fly to Nice, take little train up to Saint Dalmas de Tende, hitch-hike up to the Mercantour park, then walk down from the Valley of Marvels (which was snowbound when I was there late June) to the meditarranean sea at Vintimiglia (less than an hour by train from your return flight from Nice). Alternate camping with Gites d'etapes.

The advantages of this are that there's a little train that follows your route (one of the most spectacular in Europe - it often plunges into the mountain, does a complete circle, and comes out beside but higher up its own track) and you can easily cut things short at any time.

Also you're near rivers much of the time.

Also you see two countries - France and Italy.

Also that you end up at the sea.

see http://users.skynet.be/photosroya/2e...2localites.htm

Have you thought about greece? There's a cracker of a small island near the turkish border, samothraki. It has a small mountain range, saous, with mt fergari being the highest point at around"if i remember" 1600m. It also has around 8 different gorges at different levels of accent/decent, with rock pools for swimming. There's a camp site, pensions or camp in the woods(not really allowed, but most people do it). Did i mention it has a hot spring hut, or a hot spring centre where you pay. You maybe thinking, too hot, but its quite cool in the woods or even in the shade(its called the island of the winds). Anyway that's my 2 cents worth , hope you enjoy wherever you end up.

Not sure why you are considering Geneva to Chamonix if you 'prefer to stay away from high Alps'?

How about Austria, where the peaks are lower than in the western Alps, there are plentyof hutsand the walking is wonderful. The Stubaivalley south of Innsbruck, or the Karwendel range north of Innsbruck, would both be a good choice for you, I think.

Mini Goon

The Dolomites in Northern Italy - the Tour of the Brenta would be perfect for your timings and no glaciers. Plus the Dolomites are the world's most beautiful mountain range - everyone should see them before they die

The details can be found here (for the Tour that is, not dying )

Mini Goon
    I forgot to say, the maps on the above link are horrible but if you have a decent 1:50000 map, the routes are fairly obvious from the information given. Plus the local tourist information places have route guides and whatnot, much of it free. There are also English guide books - I think the route is included in the Cicerone guide to walking in the Dolomites

also in austria is the adlerweg (eagle's way). this has walks for all abilities and being austria, is extremely well organised.

the austrian tourist board are very enthusiastic in providing information.

Mini Goon
    Exciting suggestions, keep them coming!!!

Just to say I'll back Black Sailor about the Karwendel. But Alpine mountains tend to be hot, humid and thundery in august, so it's not my favourite time.

See 'The Saint in Europe' 1933:

"He was scanning a magazine in his room about four o'clock when another knock came on his door and the girl walked in. She looked pale and tired; but the Saint hardened his heart. Even the spectacle of his attire could only rouse her to a faint spark of sarcasm.
    "Have you joined the boy scouts or something?" she asked.
    Simon turned his eyes down to his brown knees unabashed.
    "I'm going down to Innsbruck and up over the Brenner Pass into Italy. Tramping about over a lot of dreary roads and sleeping in ditches-all that sort of thing. It's one of the most beautiful trips in the whole world, and the only way you can get the best out of it is on foot. I'm catching a train to Lenggries at five, and starting from there early tomorrow morning-that cuts out the only dull part"

I followed in his footsteps a few years ao and it was just as good as it was a lifetime ago.

Also much as I adore Samothraki, I'm not sure how far I want to walk there in high summer.

I agree with Fiona N about the Dolomites being stunning. But I wouldn't choose them if I wanted to camp - they lend themselves far better to hut-to-hutting.

For camping, whether wild or on village sites, I reckon the central Pyrenees are hard to beat

jim parter
    I want to go on vegas trip in this summer,I heared that is a perfect place for enjoyment and fun at Vegas Locals.

‹bermensch

Europe - 7 days - huts/campsites - away from high alps

West Highland Way fits all your criteria.

West Highland way in August = MIDGES

Er, I think OP took his hols a long long time ago!

Lescun to Gavarnie.Pyrenees.Camp outsiderefuges using facilities and buy meals in the huts.

Widdler

Liguria and Piedmont refuge in the Ligurian Alps. Very beatiful and very cheap.Visit to French and Ligurian Riviera, San Remo,Montecarlo,Nice ,Menton,Savona,Genova.

Sergio