Thread: Vista Hcx & Navigator

Widdler
    It looks like I'll be getting a Vista Hcx after stalling for months as I wanted an Oregon... so my question is simple, I hope. I'm looking at getting the city navigator software for France and I wondering if this software is suitable for driving directions in France as well as walking when over there? Or should I be looking at a more specialed map for both (i.e. french maps for Tom Tom and maybe MM or the sort for the garmin)?

Quote Originally Posted by jefflad View Post
    It looks like I'll be getting a Vista Hcx after stalling for months as I wanted an Oregon... so my question is simple, I hope. I'm looking at getting the city navigator software for France and I wondering if this software is suitable for driving directions in France as well as walking when over there? Or should I be looking at a more specialed map for both (i.e. french maps for Tom Tom and maybe MM or the sort for the garmin)?
    The Vista HcX can do turn by turn road directions, but it won't be as good as TomTom. You can't use Memory Map on any of the Garmin GPS receivers, so that's not an option.

The City Navigator software is not really suitable for walking at all. It is just really road maps and as Dave says not as good as TomTom.

The only option for a Garmin unit are Topo maps which show contours and a few paths--far from OS standard if that is what you are after. Incidentally, the latest Topo maps will work out road routes the same as City Navigator as well.

Widdler

Thanks for those 2 relies.

Ideally, I was hoping the road navigation would be on a par with TomTom, as it won't I'll be taking my TomTom and updating the French Maps for that.

As for the Topo's only showing a few paths is very disappointing... I'll be taking a map and compass but really fancied the idea of a decent representation on the hand held. As for MM I'm quite disappointed on that front... maybe I should go for the Oregon after all

If you're going to consider the Oregon then take a look at the Satmap Active 10 Plus too - it's in the same price range but has a much better way of displaying mapping (the oregon OS maps are notoriously blurred when zooming in even slightly). Most French maps are now available for the Active 10

If you already have the MM maps you could consider the Road Angel Navigator 7000 which is a combined satnav and Memory Map device.

Alternatively there are PDA and Mobile phone options that will support both TomTom Navigator and Memory Map.