Thread: lakeland wildcamp

We decided that after 5 months it was time for my mates puppy to go on its first wild camp so we set off to the lakes on saturday afternoon with the intention of parking up at stonethwaite, heading for a tarn then seeing how things were the next day and deciding on a route then.

When we got to stonethwaite it was warm and overcast and as we were getting geared up it started to rain a little but that soon blew over.

we headed off up the valley as the sun poked out and the temperature rose, we got to the tarn just after 8, there were a few tents on the other side, a couple near the path and one up above the waterfall so we decided to camp as far away from them all as possible...one of the downsides of picking a tarn and something we'd usually just go else where at but as we had the puppy we decided not to tire it out too much.
    We got our tents up and got the stoves on just as the mist started to creep across, it was still really warm so we braved the midgies and sat out until quite late. I ended up sleeping on top of my bag in my silk liner it was that warm

I got up at 5am and it looked like it was going to be a cracking day but then by 8 the mist had rolled in, we had breakfast, packed the tents up and sat around at the tarn for a bit as it was still really warm and the mist started to burn off,
    The dogs looked shattered and were panting alot by the time we had climbed the hill up to esk hause so we decided against doing our preffered route across the top of glamara etc and dropped down into the valley, the route we chose was pretty steep but not to bad, we stopped a fair bit on the way down to let the dogs get their breath and have a drink from the stream.

Once we got into the valley we were heading for a waterfall and pool we knew we could swim in but on the way we found a better looking one so we decided to stop there and have a swim, it was lovely as it was 26 degrees according to my thermometer and we were all baking in the sun.

after a few hours we noticed the clouds creeping up behind us from where we had just descended so we decided to pack up and carry on back, just as we headed into the village it started to rain but had stopped by the time we got to the pub.

we had a quick pint then headed off into keswick for a quick look round the shops and some grub in the george...it was a bit early for steak pie and they were still serving their daytime menu so i tried the home made burger...it was fantastic and just hit the spot. A couple of pints later we were off home (i wasn't driving for the 1st time in 10 years) so i caught up on my emails and a few blog posts on the way home.

All in all it was a great weekend and we had a brilliant time, would have been nice to stayed longer and gone further but there is always next week!

More pics can be seen @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/4444504...7620693350990/

Quick Kit List (i carried my gear plus most of our lasses gear)[*]Pack, Berghaus C7pro[*]Shelter, Terra Nova Laser large 3[*]Sleeping Bag, Alpkit pipedream 400 and Rab S3 - along with 2 jagbags silk liners.[*]Sleep Mat, Alpkit slim airic, Stormlite self inflating mat (might swap the stormlight for a neo air at some point as our lass quite fancies one) oh and 2 of those nice mammut pillows[*]Stove, Jetboil[*]Fuel, Coleman 200 canister[*]Pot, the one that ocmes with the jet boil[*]Shell, Haglöfs Lim ultimate and Montane air event pant[*]Insulation, Rab Generator Jacket[*]Worn, X-bionic engergiser boxers, x-socks airforce 1, berghaus x-static t, montane terra converts (in short form) scarpa nepal boots, Keswick mountain festival buff[*]Other,Petzl tikka plus, Petzl e+Lite, compass & tracklogs printed maps,Garmin Gps 60, plastic spoon, sunblock, shades, 2x orikaso folding cups (got them free so thought id give them a go), steripen with filter, 2 naglene style bottles, small first aid kit and small emergency kit, iPhone, camera and gorilla pod,Some hand wash stuff, lynx bullet, midgi spray,light folding trowel and toiler paper. Spare socks, extremeties powerstretch beanie[*]Food, Expedition foods spag bol, drytech pasta bolognese, couple of bags of crisps, some kendal mintcake, some flapjack, alpen in freezer bags with milk powder, teapigs chilli tea, normal tea + coffee, milk powder, jelly sweets, 2 bottles of real ale[/list]i think thats about it....

some great pictures there moggy.hope to get out in a couple of weeks to the lakes myself.midges were not good when i was uyp there about 4 weeks ago though.

sounds like a great trip moggy.

Nice pictures, Moggy. It's always good to hear about people's wildcamping trips.

Very chivalrous of you to carry the Mem Sahib's kit. That rucksack is a beast - you must have been sweating like a rapist hauling it in the temperatures we had last weekend!

Where can you buy the chilli tea? Sounds marvellous.

BTW the shot of the dog above is clearly its best side

Glad you like the pics.

Generally i don't mind carrying her gear but it was knackering in the heat ;o)

the chilli tea was from a company called teapigs.co.uk they sent me it to try as im a bit of a chilli nut and run a chilli website in my spare time.

the tea is lovely, it has a nice mellow orange flavour follwed by that nice warm chilli heat as it goes down your throat.

Sounds like a good trip Moggy, great pitch.

Chilli tea is a new one on me and I'll be off to the teapigs site shortly, thanks for the address.