Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Golite Shangri La 3/Hex 3 Owners thread

Reckon the various inners which are on the design board should reduce those limitations if they ever come to fruition

So I guess you would you call an old school Vango Force 10 FLYSHEET a TARP then? I would call it a FLYSHEET or OUTER TENT.

Methinks you're mixing your definitions - maybe the disappointment you have had with your SL3 leaking and your antipathy to tarp camping have got blended in your subconcious

To me a Tarp is a flat sheet (maybe with beaks) which is pitched open at least one end.

IMO The Hex /sl3 outer is a really zipped flysheet for the nest.

My mate used to have something similar many years back with a cotton inner - it was a Blacks 'Good Companions' tent with a nylon FLYSHEET

Well if any one is interested in making a half inner just had some of this ripstop nylondelivered and looks like it will be ideal ment to be about 38grams per meter square will try confirm that at some point. an 8 meter lengh works out about 15 quid.

Completed Hex inner weighing 480 grams

For those with leki poles that want a more sturdy set up if you get some 22mm tube if should slide over the small pole section end and the middles section so you can use two poles end on end with the narrow lower legs pretty much retracted on one pole and fully retracted on the other a short lengh of boot lace takes up any slack on the extended pole... i will more than likely stick a cork down the tube for the two pole tips to press against.

There are two other pics but for some reason i cant stick them in the message but they should be in my gallery.

Cheers Mole not sure why it wouldn't let me do it worked fine on windy.

This looks like the right place to ask something which has been puzzling me. Apart from the name, is there any difference between the Hex 3 and the Shangri La 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Frum View Post
    This looks like the right place to ask something which has been puzzling me. Apart from the name, is there any difference between the Hex 3 and the Shangri La 3?
    After seeing DW's SL3 on Sunday

Here're my observations (Other tent nerds might be able to offer more)
    1. Colour
    2. Hex has reflective strips on tie outs (slowly falling off) SL3 doesn't
    3. Had heard that the Vents supposed to be different design, but without seeing side by side it's not obvious to me apart from SL3 has contrasting colour on vent fabric.
    4. Poles are different design - I've just ordered an SL3 pole cos it looks stronger when at longest length for offsetting, and, the wide part at base can be taken off to use to join two walking poles - like DW has -see above.
    5. SL3seams leak if not sealed

Thanks Mole.

Mini Goon
    Would you recommend a SL3? Should I get one and a bathtub ground sheet to take to the alps with me?

This is my pole joining setup.

Materials:

1m of cord

2x30cm velcro tape / sticky velcro from wool shop

Total cost = < £1

Preparation:

Stick the vecro to itself back to back so that you have 2x30cm strips with hooks on one side and loops on the other.

Use:

Using a clove hitch, tie one end of the cord around the pointy end of pole 1 just below the snow basket flange.

Repeat with other end of cord on pole 2.

Line up the poles parallel and overlapped with the handles at the far ends.

Wrap velcro strips around each end of the overlapping section.

Done.

I've used this method for about 6 years now on many many trips and it's never failed. Total weight is less than 20 grams. Bonus, if you loose or forget any of the bits you can easily improvise with string and tape.

Andy.

Andy

Thanks for that - will try it out

‹bermensch

I ended up getting an SL3 and am using the method that parky (either on page one of this thread or elsewhere?) described to join the two lower halfs of my trekking poles with the top section of an old Alpkit carbon pole with the handle sawn off. Very light and very secure.

I'm impressed DW, that inner look just the jobbie! how easy/hard was it to make? would you be willing to share your plans? I asked Ron Bell at MLD if I could commission him to make one but they are snowed under at the moment. I'm not sure I can be trusted with a sewing M/C having never used one before but I think I'm gonna have to resort to the DIY route.

alpkit top section with the handle shaved off used a centre support for two lower sections of pacer poles

BBF inner wasn't all that difficult to make but then i was using an exspensive machine that makes life a lot easyer, design is pretty basic and if i were to do it again i might make it a bit more complicated.... will get round to posting some extra pics up for varying designs.

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar

Can I join the club?

Bought my Shangri-La 3 last week, only had it up in the garden thus far, going wild camping in Wales this weekend and looking forward to it as its huge!!! The missus doesn't want to use it as just the shelter as I would be if I was on my own so I've also bought the nest which I've not had chance to play with.

Quick question, when you put it up with the nest I'm taking it you put the nest up as you would the shelter then throw the shelter / fly sheet over the top of the nest? For pegs do I go round each peg and hook the fly over those too using the same pegs and just re adjust if required? Take it I don't need another six pegs?

I've got carbon pacer poles and want to eventually use them to keep it up, think this weekend I'm just going to take the normal golite pole as I haven't had time to test out the various ways of joining the poles though of all I prefer the look of that Black Diamond thing, which Ed said he had one he would sell me but is I think ignoing me to get his own back as he thinks I ignored him a few weeks ago but was actually working my backside off to afford shiny new gear!

You can pitch it in a few ways Jamie. The easiest way is to pitch the inner nest first, then throw the outer over it, usingthe same pegs. I use seperate pegs near the door, so i can pull the inner away from the door for cooking inside, and entering/exiting in the rain.

If it's raining, i pitch the outer first. You can then set up the inner in the dry. I take it down this way too if it's raining. Just unzip thedoor on the innerand move the pole into the nest. Everything stays nice and dry, and the outer is the last thing to be packed away.

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar

So when you peg out the outer you just don't put the pole in just yet and then unzip the fly walk inside it and put the inner inside then the pole in, I see now, sounds pretty easy to do.

I've got another six lightweight y pegs so may take then just to see what is possible, does the fly stay far enough away from the nest round most of the tent when using the same pegs?

I set the outer up using the pole. It's easy to move the pole into the nest.

There is plenty of seperation between the inner and outer.