Thread: How much down leaking is normal?

Widdler

Hi all - I'd appreciate some advice please: picked upa Nanok "comfort down" sleeping bag in the new year sales and used it for the first time over the weekend.

It's my first down bag and i was astonished at the amount of feathers and "chaff" the bag released during the night.

It was coming from the seams and also from the main body of the fabric itself.

Hard to quantify how much but it was certainly more than the odd one or two: is this normal or do i take the bag back to the shop?

Cheers

Assynt

i had a vango viper once and on its first trip it looked like i had plucked a goose in the tent.i took it back and got my money back.as the chap was checking i had not damaged it,feathers were popping out of the material.i now have a cumulus which has had a couple of feathers escape and an me helium which i have not used yet but it has not leaked on the occasions that i have had it out.

Widdler

Thanks for that perspective Ray: as I check mynanok it leaks feathers continuously too, so it looks like I've picked up a dud.

It would have been £150 if i didn't get it half price, so it isn't exactly a "cheap" bag so I'm a bit disappointed in it.

Just hope I can find that receipt!

Assynt

Widdler

Cheers for that Simon, I found my receipt and the chap in the shop said to give it a few more trips to see if it settles.

I've taken this advice, probably against my better judgement, and will see what happens.

If it continues at its present rate I'll be returning a down bag with no down in it!

Cheers

Assynt

Some leakage is inevitable, but it should be a few bits there and here, sound slike you're getting more. It should also only be through the seams except for occasional exceptions.

Note that feathers escaping is more common and less of an issue. The only reason there are feathers in there to start with is it's effectively impossible to get them out economically, and the sharp end are pretty good at getting into the stitch holes and working their way through. They don't actually contribute nearly as much insulation as the down, weight for weight.

Pete.

Ultra King

I wear clothing in my Marmot fusion sleeping bag in winter and colder weather to uprate it. I find that my outer fleece layer, which is black/grey, shows up the very fine feathers all over it. I would say they were like bits of a down feather (which is almost like a furball) that has been broken into small, featheryfilaments which is noticable on darker clothing. It always happens and does cause some concern but I reckon this is normal to lose a small amount of the smaller down particles until after quite some use it leaves just the bulk of the down. At least the fusion has primaloft on the outside of the down so it will still offer some insulation once the down has gone.

I think you should follow the retailer's advice and then go back and insist on a replacement if it doesn't settle.

Widdler
    Quote Originally Posted by Time to go View Post

I think you should follow the retailer's advice and then go back and insist on a replacement if it doesn't settle.

That's just what I'll do, thanks TTG.

Cheers for the replies all: nice to tap into your knowledge, I'll let you know how it goes.

Assynt.