Thread: Cheviots

I live in Durham. Ok nothing spectacular about that. I walk in the Lake District and Highlands - again nothing wrong in that. The things is, I can't help thinking I'm missing some great hills a bit closer to home. The Cheviots are closer than the lakes, the area appears to be hilly and large enough for some good walking. But...........you never actually hear of anyone going there. It's always, the lakes, highlands, Peaks etc. Am I missing something here or are the Cheviots just pants?

Anyone actually done any walking there? If so what would be a good route?

Thanks,

Al.

Widdler
    Alan the Cheviots are pretty damn good. Northumberland seems to be the poor relation compared to the other places you mention. I'll look out some of the routes I know for you.

Ive got the book "the High Mountains of Britain and Ireland" and just inside the cover is a photy of a chap walking over a summit dome of windcarved snow/ice and always wondered what it would be like. March 02 we found out on the top of lowly Cheviot (824m?) and the answer is BRILL. SW of Wooler to Langlee Valley then follow it to the end at Langleeford to park the car, and you have the options of Cheviot, Hedgehope (slightly lower), or, if your fit, a horseshoe of them both.

Sounds good. Judging by the lack of responses though it seems that it truly is a forgotten and overlooked area!

I think its the fact that the height isnt the same as other areas. That said Cheviot can be pretty busy during the summer, as can some of the surrounding areas. Alwinton, through Rothbury is another popular area where you can walk the (old) Border Ridge, part of the Pennine Way I think (as is Cheviot), but its more of a broad undulation as to a ridge.

Widdler
    What fantastic luck . My next question was to ask any advice on the Cheviots as we are holidaying in Northumbria. And you are right ive tried search engines for routes around cheviots and next to nothing is the result. Thanks Karl ill check your route on a map. I often plan a route just by map alone but am often told "well if you had done it this they ............etc so any input would be appreciated by me as well.

The old Eng/Scot border ridge takes in a peak called Windy Gyle 620m which can be reached from several carparks further up the Coquet Valley from Alwinton. Its on the right of the valley as you drive up, and on the left are the Otterburn military ranges so you might get buzzed by jets, but I love to watch them so it dosen't bother me. Off the A697 just N of Powburn is the river Breamish and Ingram Valley. Again plenty of parking and a NT visistor centre. At the head of the valley the road ends at a farm ,and a footpath N? takes you to Linhope Spout, a lovely waterfall in a bowl in the heather moorland. Not sure of the distance so it may be wise to check the signost at the farm before parking at the start of the valley.

Oh and by the way everone, as most of Northumberland's interior is heather moor, dont forget it's grouse season at the minute. The bigger estates might have signs out saying which days their shooting.

Widdler
    Try the College Valley as well. That'll take you up to the Border fence and there are some decent views. They only let in 6 cars a day or some such. You have to get a permit from an Estate Agent in Wooler. There are only two nk and the on you want is the one that isn't on the main street (there, that's clear isn't it?). But note that they're closed on Saturday and Sunday.

Widdler
    Hi, I live in Newcastle and the Cheviots are probably our best kept secret. The areas mentioned previouslty in the string are all worth going to. There is a website which allows you to purchase routes which are excellent both in description of the routes and maps The address is
    http://www.shepherdswalks.co.uk/

As a Scout Leader, the Cheviots are a perfect weekend get away, with routes ranging from v easy to v hard testing your micro navigation.
    On Cheviot there are several places where planes have crashed in the second World War, and when the weather is dry, they appear through the peat.
    In the winter (if it snows)the area can be just as good as the lakes, not as high, but with stunning views.

A secret they will remain then!

Stephen, I'm also a Scout Leader so I'll be having a look for some easier routes for the scouts as well. I'll leave the more challenging stuff to weekends on my own! I'm looking forward to not having a long drive at the end of a long walk - thanks.

Hi Alan, I missed the start of this thread or I would have asked you why you are not in the backpackers club who have a thriving group in Durham/Northumberland?

If you have as you say been restricting yourself to the Lakes and Scotland you have really been missing out big time on a lot that is on our doorstep! I say our as I am the clubs Northumbrian co-ordinator and I live in Gateshead.

We do go to the Lakes and Scotland but we also have the Howgills,Pennines and Cheviots right on the doorstep not forgeting the borders.

Aren't we just the lucky ones!

Bryan

Shamefully I've never heard of the group - is there anywhere I can find details?

Alan.

Oops! I missed a bit there somehow. #
    We meet on the first Tuesday of the month at the bridge hotel on the north side of the highlevel bridge in Newcastle except that the meeting for October will probably not happen as most of the regulars will be in the Cairngorms for a long weekend.

Novembers meet will be on Tuesday 4th.

Cheers
    Bryan

Widdler
    Alan, have you been out to the Durham Dales (Weardale, Teessdale etc)and also to the North Pennines (Allenheads area). They provide easier (not so much uphill) for Scouts yet provide excellent training for navigation.
    Just a thought as they may be a little closer for you to travel to.

Yes - we seem to spend most of our time in Weardale and Teesdale.

There's an excellent camping barn we use just outside of Middleton in Teesdale at a place called Holwick. The owners are always pleased to have Scout Troops there.

Hi Alan,
    Try www.backpackersclub.co.uk or 8pm November 4th I should be sitting at a seat just beyond the end of the Bar.

For reckognition purposes have a look at the mug shots on the Northumbrian backpackers site linked to the above.

Cheers
    Bryan

I really do need to lie down!!!
    I mean of course RECOGNITION.

Sorry all