Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Arms!

Widdler

Hello All

Quick question(s) - I'm female with longer than what appears to be average arms. Are there any brands which do longer arms?

Are there any real differences between the womens and mens waterproof coat - small mens jackets seem to be a good fit althought the zips do up the wrong way ?I've been looking at the berghaus paclite, I want light weight and preferably black - although my hunting so far has only been in Millets and Blacks, and some on line rummaging I'm open to suggestions for midlands independant stores who cater for the longer armed!

Ta very muchly

Rab gear often has long(er) arms.

Erm, they do up the right way

Montane! They redesigned the cut of their women's clothes last year and lengthened the arms by about 3 feet!

Way too long for me now, but sounds as if it might be pefect for you!

Widdler
    pffffft the 'zippy' bit is clearly supposed to be on the left!

Metric Kate - Montaine sound excellent, I'm only 5'8'' (with long limbs) not a giant, but womens out door kit seems to be designed for 5'6'' ladies?

*potters off for a google*

You'll prolly be ok, Ally, I'm 5'7" (with normal limbs ), and Montane fitted me ok til the sleeve stretch, even though it's has a quite 'athletic' cut, and that doesn't really describe me at all!

Their gear is very nice too - I'm miffed that it doesn't fit me any more.

Widdler

I need to find a localish stockist for a thorough trying on session.

The Berghaus jacket i tried on was a good 2" short in the arms, not a good look.

I blame the credit crunch those extra inches in arm length saving them over many jackets!

Nah. It just reflects their target market(s).

Biggest difference between womens and mens waterproofs is probably that all the really technical ones tend only come in mens (unisex) fits Easier to find too.

Rab/Haglofs/Montane all good for decent sleeve length & thinnish cuts. Montane actually a little shorter than the other two in general but not bad.

They are plenty of options in these peoples ranges, worth deciding whether you want an outright light/relatively thing principally for summer or something lightish with a massive hood etc. Budget too of course

Haglofs' Oz/LIM Ultimate Q aren't especially cheap but they are black, come in womans fit and are stupidly light......

Ultra King

Haglofs long sleeves? Hmmm! My fleece is an excellent fit for me but the sleeves are about 2" too short. I would say they are too short for the average person too, afterall I am an average kind of build for my size, i.e. my arms are in proportion to my body. I find Montane quite often (not always) have sleeves about 1" too long but when scrambling they are perfect when reaching up.

One thing though, Paramo is very short sleeved so avoid, avoid, avoid!

I have heard that mens fit in base / mid layers have longer sleeves in proportion to the body. If the fit is right there is no reason why you can't get a mens garment. BTW I was in a gear shop once and the assistant recommended a man to try on a womans sized trousers so it has happened the other way too. Buy fit for purpose I suppose is it.

I've not found Haglofs sleeves to be long. In fact, they're perfect for me, and definitely shorter than the new Montane stuff.

Yes really. Or maybe I'm just confused

Having tried on a fair amount from both brands though I'd say that Haglofs normal arm length is closer to RABs than Montanes. My zeal jacket is in the (very small) category of things that fit me out of the box, but thats got extra arm length due to being a cycling top. The Kaza etc do come up short on me, but not half as short as a light speed/ prism etc....

Perhaps they do shorter arms in their womens cut things?

Micro fleeces seem to be something of an exception in that regardless of brand they all seem to have short sleeves! Its like they're all made in the same factory. (which they may well be of course ). The treble has reasonably long arms.

Widdler

Thank you everyone for your help, I'm going to try on as many jackets that i can lay my hands on tomorrow.

I think a mens small equates to a size 12 womens - which fits me fine. The arms are deffo longer on the mens equilivent. (or the shoulders are broader and hang lower?).I suppose the mens stuff also doesn't run the risk of pink flashing being hidden somewhere. It's like a game of hide and seek- can we get someting pink or pale blue on EVERY item of clothing we produce?!

"One thing though, Paramo is very short sleeved so avoid, avoid, avoid!"

Oh well, at risk of stirring up ttg's 'anti-Paramoholics' ire again , I can only say that that isn't my experience at all. While the sleeves on my Haglofs Oz and Kaza windshirt fit pretty well, I find those on my Paramo Aspira, Velez and Fuera windshirt are all a bit on the long side - if I'm not tightening them in around the wrists with the velcro tabs then I generally need to wear them with the cuff turned back up on itself......

I wonder if we can both be the 'average' person?!!

Of course! We're all average Actually I'm happy to admit that I'm at one of the extreme ends of the tall/thin spectrum. (genetics not super fitness!).

I'm with the other camp cf Paramo sleeve length though - it comes up impossibly short on me. Perhaps its down to how the various brands scale arm length with overall clothing size? If I want something that actually fits properly on my body then its normally a small.

The small Oz/Kaza's that I've tried on are just slightly short in the sleeves but a small in Paramo's stuff is a joke. I'd need a large but then you're into super baggy stuff that shoots up your arm when you move it. I've recently banned such things from my wardrobe

same here matt and for the casacda and viento jackets. two for the average.

Before you lads get wrapped up in your 'my arms are longer than your arms' discussion, can I point out that I was referring to women's arms and women's jackets! There may well be differences between the cut on men's clothes and women's clothes - that's irrelevant to what I was saying!

Ultra King

Its all about you istn't it Kate! This discussion has moved on, we're now onto a Paramo thread hijack again.

Anyway I am quite happy being above average in many ways. I happen to be a tall slim person and my paramo windshirt stops just behind my watch which by my reckoning is a bad length since the body fits me. Montane however fits me well. It appears I made a mistake as i tried both on at the shop and let myself be influenced by the Paramo technology again, I just want it to work and be as good as the paramaniacs say it is. As ever I always just get on with using any mistake purchases until I can replace with better. At least paramo stuff doesn't fail within its first year and can always be repaired unlike boots I have bought wrongly. BTW Martin my tall thin status is not fitness and judging by my immediate family isn't genetics. Can't work that out unless you were the tall milkmanwhere I came from in Somersetabout 37 years ago. Joke! Apparently I look like some ancesters, spitting image of old photos when at same age. It seems they change shape at certain age (getting close now).

BTW Kate how do you cope with trouser length as you seem a taller lady in your images and photographs? Do tall women have as much trouble finding fitting trousers for the outdoors as tall men do? I suppose so.

Widdler
    I'm not even particularly tall - I have long arms and legs most trousers are comedy length on me. TKMaxx is my friend for such things... the average hikers reject all the decent length stuff and I pick up the remains half price!

How do I cope with trouser length? I cut the ends off. Or buy them in 'short' length if they do them, which isn't always. Or live with a couple of inches of trouser longer than I need. But that doesn't bother me as much as the over-long Montane arms. Whilst at 5'7" I may be taller than the average British woman, I don't consider myself to be 'a taller lady', and my inside leg certainly isn't long!

Ally - sounds like Montane should suit you - their legs are relatively long too!

Well if the above discussion proves anything its that sleeve length isn't an absolute but is very dependent on how well the overall cut fits you. So I guess that its very relevant in proving the need to try things on

(There is of course a most excellent solution to Paramo not fitting....)

I'd imagine that it must be harder for tall women - they've got quite a lot less choice of outdoors clothing to start with.