Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rucksack with wheels?

Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Bedouin View Post
    Never liked or got on with Rohan... a typical 'quirky' UK company with a hugely inflated opinion of itself... did I mention Paramo anywhere??
    Nor Arc'teryx either.

Ask anyone without an axe to grind and they'll tell you how innovative, cutting edge, well made etc etc Arc'teryx is. It has a global reputation for a reason. I've spoken to Arc'teryx at there head quarters in North Vancouver and you couldn't meet more honest down to earth people. They truly have a passion for trying to make things better.

Having been to a couple of Rohan and Paramo shops and the attitude is totally different... if you question anything they say then your an idiot. Ask a Paramo dealer what happens when a garment wets out? the Oxford Go Outdoors shop refused to answer the question even insinuating that Paramo couldn't wet out and anyway it was a stupid question.... go figure!

Why compare the attitudes of HQ staff at Arc'teryx with some shop assistant in a branch of a discounting UK outdoor 'chain store'? If you'd spoken to Nick Brown you might have a point...

No experience or knowledgeas far as Arc'teryx is concerned but I remember the rohan (It may have been their flagship shop) on kensington high st some 20 years ago and the price of their kit...which was no better made or using 'better' or more 'advanced' materials than anyone else....but they were give or take double the price and money talks! (In my language that means I walk....)

Jonny, couldn't agree more.... it appears to me that they target affluent older people who want outdoor style clothing but are never going to do more than walk along the Thames path for Sunday afternoon cream tea OR go on 5 Star everything included tours of foreign cultural sites like the Taj Mahal i.e. very dapper and quintessentially English!

I'd broadly agree about Rohan these days. They were definitely very innovative in genuine clothing for hill and mountain when they started in the late 70s and it took a while for other brands to follow suit, but they did within a few years and in several cases overtook. I think Rohan's been playing intermittent catch-up on mountain kit ever since, but has largely moved into what you might term the 'Sunday Travel Supplement' market, with prices to match.

That said, they do still manage to produce the occasional item that's worth a look, especially if you can find it in one of their sales. For example if you're a gram-counting backpacker (or ski-tourer ) then things like a technical fabric t-shirt weighing 50g or presentable walking/travel trousers weighing 200g certainly help to lighten the load.

Matt, I mentioned that incident as a catch all for my general experience of (in this case) Paramo but Rohan are just as bad. I've had similar attitudes expressed at the Paramo shop in Covent Garden (London) and in Kendal. I would find it inconceivable that these attitudes aren't part of the Paramo culture.

The other interesting point about Paramo is that none of the leading high street outdoors chains sell it. Listening to the answers that shop managers give again and again totally independently of each other is somewhat instructive... up against Gore-Tex/eVent it wouldn't sell in enough volume to justify the self space. From what I've been able to deduce from Paramo on the subject is a typical aloof response in that the chains "don't understand Paramo".... says it all really.

Yes the crux for me has always been prices of any item......

I personally do like light weight things but not to the extent of paying a bundle for them - and having been camping/walking/traveling since I was akid remember all to well the old addage of "if you can't carry it then don't pack it" - part of the experience being able to manage with what you've got.

....lol I am ofa certain age I guess, and obviously would love the oppurtunity of 5 star luxury (cream teas @ the taj would be fun wouldn't it?) but I travel with what I've got both monetarily and stamina wise, and the point of going to the taj and places of that ilk is surely to experience the culture and not rub the noses of the locals in it, and even maybe give them something in return for their hospitality which I've always found to be better at the bottom of the ladder than at the top, and which is hard to find when you've just had your rolexpinched whichcan be quite likely if one isdressed in the best....

▄bermensch

And now for something completly different:

Don't now if you're looking for something for trekking otherwise for simple travelling a trolley suffices.

rohan are producing their own luggage now. i wonder who makes it. last year they were using some quirky, very expensivemerkin luggage company called eagle creek. but with a reputation for excellent product and superb after sales service so i have been told.

strange. i've had "interesting" discussions in the covent garden paramo and rohan shops and have never had a problem with nor getting sensible answers to awkward questions. it must be the way i ask.

rohan has recently started back with some very interesting clothing - not that good if all you wish to wear is outdoorsy hill wear - that is light, extremely quick drying, very functional and durable. light, durable and cheap doesn't exist. i think they are the only brand that has a good range of travel wear - hang on don't the dead bird do "travel and lifestyle and pottering aong the thames" wear?

oh, and the rohan covent garden store provides excellent service that rips the wee out of the other high street stores.

When alls said and done it's a matter of taste and erm, expense.....That travel trolley looks incredible - not something i'll ever use or buy but a great tool to carry a large first aid kit for when one falls over

Initiate
    I forgot to mention in my previous post that Rohan are also now doing some proper "outdoor" rucksacks, see the website for details. The back systems look quite "simple" compared to the airspace/aircore/freeflow type arrangements that now seem to be popular. The prices are on the high side but not in the same league as the luggage system I previously mentioned. I inspected the Rucksacks in the Bakewell store last week and the design and quality of the workmanship seemed good,

Widdler

... or selfmade:

http://rucksacktrailer.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pwd View Post

... or selfmade:

http://rucksacktrailer.wordpress.com/

I can't make head nor tail of that, it's like it's written by someone from Rotherham.

Widdler

G..... translater is your friend - btw, it┬┤s German.

But just photos should show you how to do