Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whats happened to this website?

Not dipped in for a while but I wondering what the heck has happened to the site?

It just seems all over the place, where have all the left sidebars gone, why are the right sidebars so big?

They really need some professional input to make this site work better, they need to go back and start again... sorry!

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    Personally I think its been optimised quite well. You need to set limits and define your sites layout. Instead of trying to fit screens and add too much, simplifying and standardising is the way forward. The worlds best websites do not stretch to cover all screen sizes or have loads of pretty looking picures and too much info.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Bassnett @ [url
    www.trekkingbritain.co.uk;670136]Personally[/url] I think its been optimised quite well.
    No Jamie, as Ian says, "It just seems all over the place, where have all the left sidebars gone, why are the right sidebars so big?"

The screen is 40% white space.

I prefer it this way with, I can narrow the window and hide all the irratating ads on the right hand side'

The site generally seems to be working well at the moment. I gave up on it last year when it was taking ages to load and occasionally would crash the browser.

But it's completely bolloxed depending what screen, OS and browser you use! I use 3 different ones, and different things don't appear on each - and I don't mean they're off to the side, I mean they just don't appear!

On this one I'm not getting any editing buttons. On my netbook the top tabs (Routes, Gallery etc) don't appear and nor does the button/link for me to log off!!

By no definition can that possibly be described as good!!
    (would have added suitable smiley.... but I can't!)

"The screen is 40% white space" it is probably for yourself, but for others it may now ft properly. Whats a bit of white space? Go to www.google.com the worlds most popular web page and tell me how much white space you see?

We standards at the moment are to acomoddate 1024 width, not including of course the sliders so designers tend to go for around 980 width. Thus accomodating most of the world and not over stretching there sites for unneseccary reasons just to suit people who have huge screens. Funny thing is once you have a really big screen going from one side of the scren to the next on a strecthed site is actually a lot worse than just loking down the middle and having white on either side.

The left side bars aren't needed anymore, granted I actually believe they should be left instead of right as navigation shoudl always be left really as by default your browser if too small with always show left to right. However some people decide the content is more suited to the lef, especially on a site that has navigation at the top anyway.

The bar on the right being big is partly to make things clearer and allow more text for the links so they don't squeeze around, plus the adverts from advertisers are often set sizes. Like the Berghaus one on there now is 300 x 250. I use Gogle ads and I have no choice over the size of ads and they have industry standards.

I've got XP and tried IE, Firefox and Chrome and can't see it going wron with any of them?

The only place I don't like is the silly mobile version its not implemented, which I presume they've done because people asked for it, however I've tried navigating round it an dit doesn't work. I did install Opera Mini on my mobile and it works like a dream on that but only because it ignores the mobile version.

I know you work in this field Jamie, but other opinions saying it's shite, are just as valid as your 'techie' opinion. The only opinion that should matter is the end user, not the designer.

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Bassnett @ [url
    www.trekkingbritain.co.uk;670173][/url]

"The screen is 40% white space" it is probably for yourself, but for others it may now ft properly. Whats a bit of white space? Go to www.google.com the worlds most popular web page and tell me how much white space you see?
    not really a fair comparison is it? Google isn't a forum/magazine/advertising medium. It's a search engine (which loads in a fraction of a second).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike fae Dundee View Post
    I know you work in this field Jamie, but other opinions saying it's shite, are just as valid as your 'techie' opinion. The only opinion that should matter is the end user, not the designer.
    The only opinion that should matter is the majority of site users, which does not always mean the same as the most vociferous users of one section of the site. The design team has far more things to take into consideration (advert positioning and cost, maintenance etc) than just the aesthetics of the site. At the end of the day this site exists for one purpose and one purpose only - to make the shareholders a profit. If it doesn't do that you'll have 100% white space!!!

I'm agreeing with what you are saying Dave. End user/site users, same thing. Personally, i couldn't care less about the layout changes. As long as the various options are intuitive to use for a non-techie like myself. Still easy to use as far as i'm concerned.

Personally I prefered the old layout, but I have to accept that the changes have been made for sound economic reasons - and it does seem to be running consistently faster than the old layout. Out of nearly 47,000 members there's about a dozen people who are moaning and insisting it should be changed to fit their individual wishes - once you put the numbers into perspective it seems the problem's not that great after all. As noted above by Mike and Simon, people are getting used to it now - change is never easy to a familiar system, we just have to adjust to it. The new layout is here to stay, so we just have to get used to it and accept it....the editorial quality and content hasn't changed

Quote Originally Posted by Mike fae Dundee View Post
    Personally, i couldn't care less about the layout changes. As long as the various options are intuitive to use for a non-techie like myself. Still easy to use as far as i'm concerned.
    Agree here with Mike. In my case things seem to work fineand thewhite space to the right doesn't bother me. I thought folks were uploading programmes to rid themselves of the adverts.

"The only opinion that should matter is the end user, not the designer." totally agree, but the end user has to remember that not all end users have the same screen so the white spacing is just something we all have to live with on the internet. If you put 20 users in a rooom and had a different screen size for each one, the websites that use the 1024 width will work well on nearly all of them.

Advertising does prove that using banners at the top and the square adverts either top left or top right is the most effective way to display them and I have absolutely no problem at all with OM doing it that way to make some money. After all we all get this fantastic site for free!

Okay comparing the white space with the Google one was unfair but I think if you go look at hundreds more of the top sites they are mostly designed to fit in 1024. Can't go look for more examples as I'm actually on my netbook at the moment on a 1024 screen.

I just don't get what the problem is, I think the site is faster and cleaner than ever at the moment? Everyone hates change, so do I, but after a few weeks you just get used to it. I have just scrolled up this page and down again and can say I've never seen the site look as clean and fresh as it now does!

Anyay its about time you all realised... I am always right and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong!!!

Vociferous indeed. Heh.

I didn't like the old design and I'm not particularly fond of the new one either but at least most of the bits work. It's the contributors that really count on a forum.

I'm sure I'll adjust to whatever layout is chosen.....

but what about the bits that simply don't work?

Ultra King
    At least now we don't have those superwide posts where you have to scroll right on every line to read it. Or is that still likely to happen?

I take on board content is king and I've learnt a lot from this site, but with just a little good advice I'm sure this website could be made 100% better.

I do design websites everyday in my main job so its difficult not to comment.

Design isn't only for how something looks but can do a lot for a good user experience. With most of my clients a clean and simple approach works well.

But as I said, its the content of this site that makes it.

Just layout?

I don't even have this thread in Firefox on the Mac, only in Safari - HOW DOES THAT WORK?!!

whoa,

it just appeared. That was strange - looks different tho!

Hey,

the buttons actually work in firefox - never did in Safari! Well - there you go!