Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peak District

Mini Goon

Hi,

I live in Derbyshire so obviously the Peak District is the ideal place for me to walk.

I work on a 4 on 4 off shift pattern, which means one month I will work a saturday and three weekends then the next month i work a sunday and get three weekends off.

This is fine when I walk with my mates on my weekends off, but I also have to miss 3 weeks worth of walking when i'm off on weekdays.

I dont fancy soloing, besides I'm ok at navigation but not great.

There doesn't seem to be many/any Derbyshire requests on here but if you interested in walking every now and again let me know. I am open to anywhere in the peak district and walks upto 15miles are generally ok.

Just so you know you must be prepared to hang about every now and again because I dabble in landscape photography, also I'm 21 and if you think your mind-set wont be suited to my age thats fine, just thought i'd prewarn everyone.

I can't do anything for the next few months, but hope to be back up and about late summer if you're still looking for people then. Im just over the hill in Macclesfield, but Buxton's still home

Mini Goon

Sounds good, I'm going down the Roaches on tuesday actually. I tend to be over that side of the peak district more anyway, usually higher and more fun haha despite me living closer to the east side of the district.

I usually do Shuttlingslow or Shining Tor at least once a week each, along with regular trips over Axe Edge to Three Shires Head, but am due back in for surgery again soon after breaking my neck so can't do much for the next 3-4 months. There's some great walks without getting high in the central part of the Peak - Lathkill Dale, Castleton, Dove and Manifold Valleys. There's always Kinder, of course

Mini Goon

Yeah I love Dovedale, so nice around there.

I look for places that are good for photos, Ladybower is obviously one place.

Did Edale Circuit last week, got some good photos from there.

Also I'm trying to get a picture of every "summit" i've been to with me next to trig/cairn so ticking em off one by one.....

Mini Goon
    PS hope your surgery goes well, sounds nasty stuff! Im not even going to ask how you did it

Heyup Granty

When does your shift start, Im on the same shift pattern and Im Sheffield based when Im off shift (Although I work in Oxfordshire)

I nearly always run or bike in the Peak, but Id be happy to get out for a walk in the Dark Peak so long as the route is long (think 20 miles+) and in the wilder parts of the Peak. Kinder, Bleaklow and the Upper Derwent are my favourites. Especially the Upper Derwent area, despite having both Sheffield and Manchester on the doorstep I managed a long run last week in glorious sunshine where for 16 miles out of 23 I was completely alone without another sole to be seen. Although to acheive that I did have to be a bit devious to avoid sighting the Stocksbridge road

Pie Face

Mini Goon

My shift starts on Friday, so even if we dont match fully hopefully we'll have a day where we can meet.

I seem to regularly walk in the dark peak area, although I think the White is bettertheres no problem for me as long as I'm out.

I dont understand how you run for 16 miles and not see anyone with how boggy it is up there at the moment, I'd have thought main routes would have been ones to take!

Ive never walked more than 15 miles, I mean I'd be happy to give it a go, but I'm also slightly asthmatic so I do tend to get out of breathso expect for me to be lagging compared to you (that said I ALWAYS beat time qouted to complete on routes even with having dinner and such.

How long do you expect 20 miles to take? 15 miles takes about 8 hours for me....do you feel comfortable walking in the dark?

Thanks for your reply

I also work shifts not quite as organised as yours though. Would be happy to join you.

Heyup Granty and Rach

Granty, our shifts overlap by two days so we should be able to organise something, Ive actually no idea how long it would take to walk 20 miles as Ive only ever ran that sort of distance. But with summer on the way I'll be looking for some more relaxed days out.

You have your message block box ticked on you profile so I cant send over any contact details, but you should be able message me!!

Rach, you would be most welcome to join us, especially as your activities on your profile reads almost like a straight copy of mine (apart from the paddling which I can't afford because road cycling is so damned expensive) Which MRT are you with?

Again I cant send you a message with contact details but you should be able to message me

How did I manage 16, quiet route, quiet time of year, quiet time of day, and some luck I guess. Some parts of the Peak are always a lot quieter than others, when we organise something I'll show you part of that route its a grand day out!

Shaun

Mini Goon

Ive sorted the messaging thing now.

Sounds good, Rach we'll have to defos sort something out when all 3 of us are of shift.

I'm not looking to walk next week as my legs are crying out for a rest at the moment, I play basketball for 3 hours a week as well and i'm getting really bad pain in my shins *lets hope its not start of shin splints, i dont think it is). I'm hoping a weeks rest will let me recover somewhat.

I will be free week after but after that I'm pretty much back to having weekends off but I'm sure we can sort something, and if we walk at weekend I'm sure my friends wont mind you tagging along :_

Mini Goon

Hello all, right next week I'm off wednesday, thursday, friday and saturday (1st to 4th April) so if any of you guys are free let me know! Ive really missed taking a break this week but after Monday at basketball its for the best with my legs hurting so much.

I'd be tempted to do 2 walks next week if it suits people, but lets see. Let me know!

Morning Granty

It looks very much like I cant afford to go to the Wales Windy meet, thanks too some unexpected expenses

This does mean that Im about in the Peak though, what you up to Saturday?

Nowt crazy mind as Im in full recovery mode from an ultrarun last Saturday(35.5miles 4108ft ascent )

Bear in mind that as yet I may scoot to Wales via Mastercard

Mini Goon
    Not sure saturday, looking at bleaklow or stanage. Probs about 10-12 miles. Unless anyone has any other ideas. Where did you do your run? Do you wanna add me on msn?

Bleaklow, Ive got a good route in mind as well (ie off the beaten track)

If your prone to wearing Lycra Im out tomo on my road bike?

I'll PM you some contact details, also send a link for my run

hello all,

I'm looking for some people to get out to the Peak District with. I live in Macclesfield and have a car so can get to places. Im not working at the moment so can go out in the week (which i prefer as then you're not fighting for space on the hills with all the other sunday walkers). Love the White Peak area and Kinder. give me a shout sometime.

Melanie

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    If your looking for Peak District walks check out this one I did a few weeks ago, I combined it with a Wild Camp, it was just something I planned myself and was great fun. Quite varied too and you could certainly vary it in many ways.

Heyup Melanie

Granty is a good bet for walks in the Peak (Nottingham based I think), Im more of a runner and Sheffield based (sort of...!?!), but still do the odd walk here and there. Ive got a pretty solid knowledge of the Dark Peak and my nav is pretty sound too. Ive got plenty of time off work, often during the week. So can probably hook up for some scampering!

If you change your profile settings to allow PM's both me and Granty can send over contact details!

Shaun

Hi Pie Face, Granty, Rach, dave and Jamie.

I ticked the box in the profile thing so i hope it works. Hope to hear from you all soon.

Melanie

Ps how do i change user name?