Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a good retailer

OK another post from me! I seem to be posting alot recently. Hope nobody minds too much.

I'd like get most of my kit which I've selected froma good retailer, quick effecient and cheap. I've check some of teh links on this site side bar and one in particular got my attention:

Ellis Brigham Mountain Sports

When I went to the site and check their forum and there was quite abit of flack about their service and web ordering. Fair enough there was a few good reviews but that was for certain stores around the country.

What are your views and who would you recommend?

Cheers

No problems on the posts Garry, thats what we're here for.

My limited experiences with Ellis Brigham haven't been very good and I tend to avoid them these days.

I listed my personal preferences for both mail order and face to face service the other week in another thread, here they are:

Mail order:
    - Needlesports
    - Snow & Rock

Shops:
    - F&T (Cambridge)
    - The Outdoorshop (Stony Stratford)"
    - Needlsports

Needlesports are brilliant. The shop is rammed full of kit and there web site is very good. If they don't have what you are after on their web site give them a call as they can get most things pretty quickly.

Snow & Rock is also very good for mail order and have had no problems with them. The best personal service I have had are at F&T in Cambridge and The Outdoorshop near Milton Keynes, if you're in the area try them out.

Obviously my recommendations are based on personal experience and I am sure there are people out there that have had problems with these. All I can say is that when I want something these are the first places I look and generally don't need to go anywhere else.

Oh, its could be worth reading this thread from last week where some of us gave our views on good retailers.

You mention cheap which limits the choices somewhat.

I've had absolutely top notch, first class service from www.castlebergsports.co.uk in Settle. Their site is rather limited but a call to the shop will sort out what they can or can't do for you. It has been a pleasure giving them my money.

Never yet had a problem with www.cccoutdoors.co.uk and they can have some excellent prices.

Field and Trek blow hot & cold and they've irritated me once too often.
    Needlesports and Snow & Rock are good.

Mini Goon
    ccc are good, thing is they loads more in the store than is on the website. i've just bought summat off of cave and crag, i'll tell you what the service is like when the stuff arrives.
    outside is also good to go to, website once agin has less on it than in store, the same can also be said for hitch n hike

Mini Goon
    Up and Under, i've never waited more than a couple days for my order.

Most peeps in the south seem to rate Peglers in Arundel, west sussex, very highly. Certainly they will match anybody's price including internet, seem to know what they are talking about as well.

Personally have had bad experience of F&T in Guildford, S&R in Holborn were very helpful.

Widdler
    CCC fast and helpful for web orders as to somwhere to visit Hitch n Hike near Bamford is the one

Mini Goon
    further to my previous email, the goods from cave and crag arrived in about a day, once the stock had come in, which was nothing i didn't know about as they'd emailed me.

Gaynorsports have a discount store in Ambleside, which is quite good.
    Cotswold's Rock bottom in Betws and Ellis Brigham's store in Capel Curig are also good for picking up the occasional bargain. You should never have to pay full price for kit - someone somewhere is always having a sale!

upandunder in cardiff never really have a sale but are good value and if you can get there have the most sorted staff of any outdoors shop i've been to

Agreed.

I also like Needlesports, Snow & Rock and Rock and Run. The latter has fantastic sales with new offers published every week.

I rarely buy outdoors gear but I have found Rock and Run good for climbing hardware and as far as retail outlets go, Outside in Hathersage has always worked for me. Great range of kit and helpful, well informed staff. Can get a bit hectic on summer weekends, but there's always Longlands caff upstairs.

Place I have bought from with success are:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk - rucksack
    http://www.cmmonline.co.uk - sleeping bag
    http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk - lighter
    http://www.the-outdoorshop.com - rucksack and thermarest

for me its the barn door shop in Wasdale

Superb shop, great staff, just perfect all round really

AHEM!

;o)

I heard that the bloke who runs the Barn Door is more worried about his shiny Landrover than his customers ;-)

Sorry Jon are you implying that there is something more important in life than a shiny Landrover ?

Although don't tell anyone but my wife is driving my Landy while hers in in the garage and i am driving around in the curtesy car, a Freelander! imagine my shame

I'm trying hard to imagine your shame, but I just keep picturing you with a big, smug grin on your face. Am I wrong? I suppose you have airconditioning and all the other gubbinses as well.

Elis brigham or how ever they spell it are shocking at the snow dome barge pole and wouldn't touch spring to mind! Needle sports is a cracker, slush 'n' rubble, quite good, find the climbers shop ambleside to be a bit up them selfs, gerald fisher always disapointing, CCC crackind deals, outside if you want a non mainstream brand -

magic mountain - glossop mountain equip factory outlet;-)!

you just need to shop around, find a store where you speak to people that know what there takling about and don't try to sell you a pair of braisher's when you ask for a serious walking boot (has any one else found their a bag of .....!)