Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pre-hydrating Oneself before Walks in the Hotter Weather.

I have been known to get a bit excited about hydration threads in the past and have tried to explain my opinions on the matter several times. This thread has a good example... soI won't repeat myself if I can avoid it.

However, there are a few points that have come up in this thread that I want to highlight.

1) There is a potential risk of drinking too much - especially pure water or mild diuretics like tea & coffee - because it can force the body to expel sodium in the urine and you can end up with electrolyte imbalance (hyponatremia). Provided the fluid that you take on is accompanied by electrolytes - a little salt in your food or, if you prefer, an isotonic drink (plenty of DIY recipes out there so no need to spend lots of cash) - then you won't suffer any ill effects from this. The extreme end of this spectrum is overhydration which is pretty difficult to achieve but people have become seriously ill or even died of this. Following some of the dehydration scares associated with taking Ecstacy, several ravers suffered from overhydration as they forced themselves to drink more than they were able to excrete.

2) The dogma about avoiding caffeine is, however, largely unsubstantiated. Caffeine has been shown to be a performance enhancer in endurance sport and there's some evidence that, when active, the effect of hormones such as adrenaline inhibits the diuretic effect of caffeine anyway. I say go ahead and drink brews on the hill! It sterilises your water and is therefore far better than getting dehydrated because you got the Kathmandu quickstep!

3) I have used pre-hydration techniques for competitive endurance sport. That meant drinking isotonic fluids over a period of days before events. Typically, rowing regattas could include a number of heats before the final, often held within one summer day. If you only tried to rehydrate between races, there wasa good chance that you'd feel bloated & possibly nauseous. I try to maintain good hydration all year round, but if ever I expected to be out for a long spell in hot weather I would be especially careful. I know that I am prone to dehydration (I run hot & sweat profusely) and will need nearly double the water that my wife will take in during hot weather.

4) Pee colour is the easiest & most reliable indicator of dehydration. The next reliable technique is to weigh yourself before and after exercise. You need to drink about 1.5x the weight loss (1 litre = 1kg) to fully rehydrate. This is due to the effect of increaasing urine production rate whenever you drink. The body is trying to maintain ion concentrations (tonicity) above all else.

5) Drinking tea or whatever will make you urinate more than if it was pure water; and pure water will make you urinate more than isotonic fluids. But as long as you compensate for the lost fluid (maybe adjust your factor from 1.5 to 2 as a guestimate) you are fine drinking mild diuretics IMHO.

There... I knew I would end up repeating myself!!!!

John

Ultra King
    Jon, still means you need to drink water the night before, to top up what you lost during the day. We all know that certain drinks, can make us feel 'thirsty' the next day, alchol is an example, the "hangover" the next day is not just because of the chemicals in it, it's also because it makes you de-hydrated. If you take a glass or two of water before bed, normally you don't feel as bad the next day! I know if I drink too much coffee and don't have some water before I go to sleep, I'll wake up with symptoms of a 'mild hangover'. Extreme de-hydration is a different matter, if you become so you are either put on a 'drip' or told to take small sips often. As has been pionted out too much water, or taking too much to soon can make you ill, or in extreme circumstances kill you. H

Mini Goon
    If the weather is hot/humid (for me the worst) and I have a long event or weekend out coming up, I find it best to ensure I have about 3 days taking in plenty of water. Obviously I try to drink well just before and during the day out, but it is the 72 hours previous that really matters imo. Matt.

Mini Goon
    I also use High5 energy drink sometimes, but I find this goes through me without hardly stopping in the middle. Pour it in one end and it's straight through . Does anyone else find this with energy drinks, it also effects my Missus the same. Matt.

Ultra King
    yes,some times I have the same thing, just goes in one end and out the other . I have found that if you 1/2, maybe 1/3rd the 'recommended' measure it doesn't have the same effect. I think most of them have been tested/used by "extreme" athletes, at the top of their sport! so for 'normal' people are to much concentrated, so need to be diluted. IMHO. H

Matt, Huskyman,

I've used High Five H5 over the years - and have even reviewed it here. It's not an isotonic drink, so it doesn't surprise me that you might get some unexpected reactions.The recommendations on the tubactually makes for a pretty high carbohydrate concentration of about 7%and there's plenty of evidence that if you exceed about 10% carbs, then it will interefere with stomach clearing & you'll actually slow down the amount of fluid available. But I don't think the electrolyte concentration is strong enough to be considered isotonic (there's a little over half the sodium that would be found in their own isotonic drink) - the result is a hypotonic drink. Combined with the pleasant fruit flavour, there's a good chance that you drink more than you realise and consequently need to pee!

Anyway, whatever the science - your own experiences are the most valid way of deciding HOW to stay hydrated. The important thing is that you DO!

just drink water throughout the door with a balanced diet that way your pee should remain clear while consuming enough minerals (salts) , with regards to pre hydration i would suggest it means that you do not start your strenous exercise de hydrated with an attempt to hydrate while "on the march" ..as a firefighter and combat medic (R) I have had no probs following this common sense maxim

Mini Goon
    remember that its just as easy (sometimes easier) to get de-hydrated in the cold/winter.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/s...ion/71523.html

linking in the newer OM thread on this same subject!
    Trevor DC Gamble