Thread: New Route Planning Software

Further to the recent thread on free route planning via the web I was intrigued by the possibilities of the MultiMap Open API so I've done some work with it and I can now view a 1:50,000 OS map at three levels of zoom, at whatever size I make my browser window. I can then add waypoints by clicking on the map and name them (by clicking on the waypoint) and drag them around to reposition them before producing a GPX file ready for pushing into your GPS.

I've tested it mainly on Firefox 1.5 on Linux and IE7 on Windows but it seems to work on Opera too.

Anyway I'd welcome some feedback at this point so give it a go and see what you think. You'll find it here.

Two final points: I know the grid isn't vertical - that's the way MultiMap do it: they use Mercator not OS GB so it tilts as you go east or west, and in case you're wondering this use of the MultiMap data is allowed under the terms of the Open API licence.

Sounds interesting (and complex) - I will have a look.

Brilliant

I saved the file and opened it with garmin mapsource and memory map of my route. It seems to work really well.

Is there anyway of zooming out another level into an overview mode. It just takes a bit of time to scroll down say from scotland to snowdonia if you don't have the cooridiantes.

I just wish it was downloadable so it could be used offline

Thanks

Excellent, that's just the sort of testing I need. I've only been able to validate the GPX files against one other piece of software so far. Thanks.

Oh, and here's my wish list for things to add:
    1. Import of GPX files (so you can either edit a route you've got from another source or view a real track recorded off your GPS).
    2. Remembering where you were last (so you don't always start on top of Ben Nevis).
    3. Support for multiple locations matching the value you enter for "Re-centre". It works fine with postcodes but enter a place name like "Milton" say and it just picks one of the many thousands (I exaggerate, but not much in the case of Milton).
    4. Support for aerial photography if it's available for the UK (not checked that yet).
    Feel free to add anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo man View Post

Is there anyway of zooming out another level into an overview mode. It just takes a bit of time to scroll down say from scotland to snowdonia if you don't have the cooridiantes.
    Yes I can do that, although the "re-centre" option is your friend for that. It should recognise both place names (towns, mountains etc) and post codes.

I just wish it was downloadable so it could be used offline[/QUOTE]

No chance of that I'm afraid.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

Nice. If you're doing fine detail routes, though, the 'grab' pointer takes over if you try to place another point too near an existing pin. The answer is to temporarily move them out of the way.

BTW, have you seen Where's the Path?

Very similar to what you've done, only he's a bit further down the path...

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Paul View Post

Oh, and here's my wish list for things to add:
    1. Import of GPX files (so you can either edit a route you've got from another source or view a real track recorded off your GPS).
    This is now done, both for routes (in blue) and tracks (purple). Share and enjoy.