Thread: Knoydart again

Now that the postbus no longer runs from Invergarry to Kinloch Hourn, it's not easy to work out how to get there without a car. Which is a problem if you want to walk through to Inverie via Barisdale, and then out onBrucie's boat to Mallaig.

I seem to recall that someone on this forum mentioned walking in from Glen Shiel, but I can't find the thread. The OS map shows a path from the lower end of Glen Shiel (968143), over Bealach Dubh Leac and then another bealach and then down to Kinloch Hourn. So I fancy hopping off the early Citylink from Glasgow at about 11.30, and walking over.It looks like about 7 or 8 miles, but with plenty of up and down! Just wondering whether anyone herehas done this and can commenton the route? Is it a good path? Is it boggy? Any other useful info?

Thanks a lot for any feedback.

This might have been the thread; I was looking for some info and got lots

I walked out on my recent trip from Kinloch Hourn to Glen Shiel - but via a high level route.

But this account may be of more use to you as it is going by the route you might want to use.

I walked out to Glen Shiel from Kinloch Hourn last summer. The weather was terrible and this seemed the easiest routefor the conditions.In reverse it starts in Glen Shiel at the start of the path for the Saddle near the bridgeat 970140. Follow the well-wornSaddle path up over Meallan Odhar to the start of the Forcan Ridge at about 948134ish. To the left(south) of the ridge a substantial and unusual rocky path contours round to the Bealach Coire Mhalagain. The path finishes at a cairn. Alternatively, if the weather is good, scrambleup the Forcan Ridge to the summit of the Saddle then descend to the Bealach.(recommended!) From the Bealach descend SWto pick up a good track at 928106ish. Follow this, contouring round the lower slopes of theSW ridge of Sgurrna Sgine. The trackcontinues into Coire Reidh and crosses the Allt a Choire Reidh(can bedifficult in spate) before heading SE to follow the electricity pylons. The track leaves the pylons at 948074ish and drops down through trees to Kinloch Hourn. I can't comment on the other route over the Bealach Duibh Leac but it may be the better route. I chose my route because i was heading to Shiel Bridge.

Hitch it.

You'll be suprised how quickly you get picked up. I've hitched all over Scotland, may take alittle longer but it unlikely you'll get stuck.

Ed, those links are just what I need.

Mike, that looks a great higher level route - if the weather's good I may well switch to that.

Anode,I'm finding the same - even though (or maybe because?) I'm now a grizzled 60 year old! However, I suspect that traffic couldbe a tad sparseon the long road from Invergarry?

Thanks all for thesereally useful responses. I'm off to buy my Citylink ticket now!

Three obvious options, all good and all shown on the map as dashed lines. The high level route mentioned earlier:

Coming over from Cluanie into Glen Loyne:

Taking the rough track that leads round past Beinn Sgritheall, dropping steeply to KH from the NW:

This latter track is quite good on a bike.

While the KH-Barrisdale shoreside track isn't such a good ride, the road into KH past the dam is lovely. You could safely dump your bike at the end of the tarmac for the return trip, although that doesn't help with your plan to link in the Inverie ferry.

Am thinking of doing the same thing over 3 days (perhaps with an extra day in Barrisdale to do a hill).

1) Glen Shiel to Inverie

or

2) Inverie to Glen Shiel.

Relying on public transport as I don't drive.

Apart from the first option having the advantage of finishing at the Old Forge are there any views on which is the best way round to do it - starting or finishing at Inverie?

By the way, Shiel Bridge to Kinloch Hourn is 9.6 miles by the route in this book.

mellowmark Iwould prefer north to south as I think finishing at Inverie is an ideal location to recover and await transport home.

‹bermensch
    mellowmark, I like Lindsay,s N S route best it always seems easier heading south, also theres food and accommodation at Inverie if the
    there is a problem with the ferry.Used to be a hostel there a few
    years ago. Wild camping just short of Iverie . Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gobshite View Post

Hitch it.

You'll be suprised how quickly you get picked up. I've hitched all over Scotland, may take alittle longer but it unlikely you'll get stuck.
    Without knowing Knoydart I must say that in my experience the more remote the area, the better the hitching. And the better the conversation, too

(If I were in Ulster, I might say 'crack', but I'm avoiding it in case some-one mis-spells it as 'craic').

I frequently rely on hitching to get in and out of hidden places.

Initiate
    How about the Arnisdale ferry to Barrisdale or anywhere else on the Knoydartcoast? Its owner Billy Mackenzie (01599 522247)is a very helpful chap - took me across in Sept, picked me up again a few days later. Awesome way of approaching this area. Not sure how you'd get to Arnisdale, but I'm pretty surethere's a bus from Glenshiel. Then out to Mallaig?