Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knoydart

Thinking of a few days in Knoydart in April; logic, footpaths, the Scottish rights of Way, and SMC guides seem to suggest:

Glenfinnan - Strathan - Camusrory - Barrisdale - Kinloch Hourn - Shiel Bridge

Anyone have any experience of this?

Happy to be diverted to higher ridges to avoid the (boggy) glens. Backpacking, carrying a tent and food for several days is the way I see it?

The section west of Upper Glendessarry is qute wet and boggy in places but better than thealternative through the forest on the south side which is even worse the last time I was there. (west of A'Chuil bothy). Someone cut some branches and covered the track with them to make it easier for ATVs. Well it doesn't work for walkers.

Approaching Strathan down Gleann a'Chaorainn cross to the east side of the stream if it is likely to be in spate or you will get wet feet. You need to be on the east sideto cross the rather deep River Pean by the bridge. The short section up to the vehicle track is awkward as it has been churned up by Estate vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay Boyd View Post
    Approaching Strathan down Gleann a'Chaorainn cross to the east side of the stream
    I anticipate wet feet whatever

Very useful; thanks - how early to cross to the east side (depends on the river state I guess) - the map shows the path running on the West bank almost down to the bridge over the River Pean?

Ed a couple of years ago I followed the path down the west side of the stream hoping that there was an unmarked bridge where it joined the River Pean. Alas there wasn't one so it was just the sake of wading acorss the river which was knee deep.

There was evidence high up the Glen that the east side had been used but that of course could have been by deer but I would recommend whenever the opportunity arises corss the river unless their is a drought in April!!

Ed - unless you are exclusively Munro bagging, the full traverse of Streap has much to recommend it and brings you down on the East side of the burn.

There is no avoiding the north side of the bridge at Strathan - one of the worst bits of bog in Scotland!

There are various options for the Kinloch Hournto Shiel Bridge bit Personally, I would go high quickly and include the Buidhe Bheinn - Sgurr a Bhac Chaolais double headed Corbett. There is a nice lochan towards Sgurr a Bhac Chaolais , which is a very nice spot for a high camp, if it suits your itinerary.

From Sgurr aBhac Chaolais, you can either turn left to Sgurr na Sgine and the Saddle, turn right to the 7 Munros of the South Cluanie ridge, orheaddown a pathwhichheads forGlen Shiel if the weather is poor.

Widdler

I did this trek 41 years ago so some things will have changed ! There was no path in Glen Ciurnean but there was a 'new' bridge in Glen Pean. We walked up the east side of Dessary. We had very wet weather and had major problems crossing the Allt Coire na Ciche. A guy died there some years later so a bridge was built; went across it some 20 years ago. The watershed at the top of Dessary is pretty boggy too and my memories of the visit to Sourlies 20 years ago is that the path has several options none of which a good !

If you are camping near Corryhully watch out for cows - they were a major pain for us the first night 41 years ago! No doubt their descendants will be just a curious !

The bridge at Carnoch was dodgy then so unless it has been rebuilt, you've got a wet crossing. The path up Glen Carnach exists and is the better option I suspect than cutting up the hillside as we did.

The path up beside th Alt Coire Sgoireadail from from Kinloch Hourn was good - being rebuilt in 1966. Hey it was 42 years ago! We cut across the hillside from it's top to the Bealach Duibh Leac to the excellent path down into Glen Shiel.

Why are you stopping in Glen Shiel? - the real adventure starts there and goes via Glen Lichd to Glen Affric, over into Mullardoch and ends up in Glen Carron. If you are wanting wilderness then the second part of this trek is the way to go! It's 7 days to trek from Glenfinnan and 11 if you throw in some hills.

‹bermensch
    A splendid voyage - a true West Highland Way! I'd find it hard not to divert to Inverie for a plate of langoustines and a pintat The Old Forge. The path down Gleann Meadail is good, though if the weather was nice and your legs obliging you could nip up Meall Buidhe from Mam Meadail and follow the ridge west, descending to the glen a few km later. The path from Inverie to Mam Barrisdale is is excellent - and Mam Barrisdale is a good spot for a base camp from where youcouldclimb Ladhar Bheinn and/or Luinne Bheinn - two of the most remote munros - as day walks. Me and the mrs did that in late May a couple of years ago, having taken the boat to Inverie, and had a great time in wild weather.

I wish I had never asked ‚?? now wanting to do a lot more....

David ‚?? not bagging at all, any nice hill will do. Streap looks good (ascending via SW ridge Beinn an Tuim?). I has plotted Buidhe Bheinn - Sgurr a Bhac Chaolais but thought to head over the Forcan Ridge down to Glen Shiel; is South Cluanie better (not better but you know what I mean)?

AmBodach ‚?? I expect the cows will be quite rheumatic by now. Time is the factor alas ‚?? was going to hitch up and do the Kinlochewe ‚?? Corrie Hallie traverse....but now vacillating...

ALS ‚?? you have read me right...I was thinking WHW (might still) but then I thought....mmmm, wilderness. Curse you for the Inverie suggestion

‹bermensch Nearly Normal Polar Bear's Avatar

Ed, I've got a book called the Highland High Way which sets out a route similar to the WHW but going over the big mountains en route rather than between them.

The suggested routes here are quite mouthwatering. I wonder if starting in Ardnamurchan and heading up to Glenfinnan that way might provide even more of a wild time.

NNPB

Nooooo, don't complicate things ! Just plotted the above suggestions; pops out at 100Kms and 8000m....I only have a week and that includes getting there and back....

‹bermensch

Ed - compared to where you are now thinking of walking, the WHW is a walk in the park, and you will not regret not doing it. The first day orso go from a suburb of Glasgow, take you through a park, railway cuttings and boring farmland - nothing 'highlandy' at all until Lomondside. Whereas Knoydart is utterly magnificent and wild. And that's just the pub. Doing the Forcan Ridge the direction you propose has an advantage in that the tricky downclimb(coming from the east)is a lesstricky ascent. BTW, you mentioned on another thread that you had been thinking of backpacking Ramsays round in Lochaber. Did you know that Jon Broxap set what was then a record of 28 munros in a day by doing the South GlenShiel Ridge, Forcan Ridge etc.. Five Sisters and the hills to the north of Glen Shiel. What a grand backpack that would be

Thanks ALS....this is what comes of tiring of the Lake District; I might have to move at this rate of potential projects...

I have bought some Sealskin socks in anticipation of wherever I go

‹bermensch
    ed - you can get to Scotland quicker than you can find a parking space in Ambleside.

Ed -yip, up the Allt an Daraich to the lochan (another nice camping spot), and then up to Beinn an Tuim (a fantastic viewpoint).

The Forcan Ridge and South Cluanie ridge are equally attractive, and there is no reason why you can't finish at the Cluanie Inn.

Widdler

Stop tempting the poor man - we've all put so many lovely ideas into his head that he is slavering at the lips ! And he must be a worker, or married, as he obviously has limited time.

I've got four treks worked out for this summer to collect 22 munros. This one interests me most in some ways because it is not in an area regarded as remote territory but have a look and you will see that it is. Start at Blair Atholl, up Glen Tilt, over to the Taff, the Geldie hills and then out to the Ski carpark via Monadh Mor, Angels Peak and Braeriach. If we get the timing rght there's a bus back to Aviemore in the late afternoon, otherwise we'll be whistling up a taxi !

Planning to move back to scotland once my current training post is done - for exactly the reason that I'll have so many fantastic hills on my doorstep (give or take a little travelling time). Sounds like you have a serious trip laid out Ed - have fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by AmBodach View Post

And he must be a worker, or married, as he obviously has limited time.

Ooops, wrong on both counts, eh, Ed?

Have a wee think about the time of high tide on the day you want to go round from Sourlies into Glen Carnoch. High tide reaches up to the foot of a wee buttress descending from Sgurr na Ciche, and it's a fair way up a steep and craggy hillside to get past.

Aleternatively, you can just sit and admire the outstanding views for an hour or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt C View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AmBodach View Post

And he must be a worker, or married, as he obviously has limited time.

Ooops, wrong on both counts, eh, Ed?
    Thank you Matthew ; too true though.

I have other holidays to consider and only that amount of time for what might become this one .....looks a hard push to do it all in the time....

Any restocking points; meals at Inverie (a shop too?). Kinloch Hourn B&B - sells food? Anything else?

Widdler

"Any restocking points?"

How do you get the 'Quote' facility to work?

The answer is probably still no - unless you want to re-route yourself to Inverie. It's only 4 days to Glen Shiel. We carried enough for 6 days my records show and in those days we were young and fit enugh to carry silly sized packs. We started off with 5lbs of bacon and it was still eatable at the end of the 11 days - albeit a little colourful.

And 4 days is only 4 kg of food according to the modern pundits - believe if you will !