Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Must Try Harder

Come on Hols....

That is the Plume of Feathers camp-site. The real Dartmoor is just outside the fence.

Yeah, ok it was the Plume -didn't fancy Beardown as planned all on my ownsome on my first solo camp (except for the garden lol)

I'll be a bit more daring next time

When I camped at Beardown with a group last year-the guys from the other tent kept yelling that something kept running off with one of their survival bags-naturally we thought they were just trying to scare us so ignored them.

When we awoke the next morning, one of the people from our tent looked into the porch & their bag was missing-looking outside the tent their bag was ripped open, their stuff strewn everywhere and all their food half eaten-we came to the conclusion it must've been a fox but I still wouldn't like an encounter like that on my own

Maybe if I'd planned to camp elsewhere, things would've been different -but it was dark when I got to Beardown and I thought the road the safest way to go-even if I did nearly get ran over several times by some idiots speeding

All ways next time eh Hols have been caught by the temptation of the plume of feathers myself a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by DW View Post

All ways next time eh Hols have been caught by the temptation of the plume of feathers myself a couple of times.
    lol, nothing like the thought of a gorgeous meal at the Plume eh.

Too True Hols and you will have to ask Fossil Bluff where he ended up over the week end

lol, nice, DW

Nice tent by the way hols should have one of those myself soon. When's your next venture out on the moors.

Ta Dw, I would highly recommend it-they're FAB! I got mine off ebay for a very reasonable price aswell so even better

(Aren't any on there very cheap at the mo)

Well I'm planning on going for a lil' walk-about up there on Easter Monday-take advantage of the Dartmoor Rover bus which I can't usually get (bank holidays or Sundays only )

How about yourself-going to brave the lovely easter forcast?

Working tomorrow but have 4 days off after that ment to be up to haldon hill with the mountain bike monday but more than likely be on the moors at some point while im off,

Good to hear it. I've been meaning to have a lil explore around Haldon Hill for a while-closer to home than Dartmoor so should be easier to get to/from-need to check the buses though.

Hope you have fun up there DW!

where abouts you from Hols if your near a train station ivybridge is quite a good staging point to get out on the south moors from.

I'm over the Exeter way-never thought of starting at Ivybridge-good idea! Ta DW

I usually get the bus to Okehampton to start any Dartmmoor ventures-have been getting a bit bored of that though-I'll try Ivybridge

It should help me aswell-planning on doing the Devon coast-coast in July-I could follow that from Ivybridge...trails off in thought

Your welcome hols you will have to keep us updated on how your adventures go.

Been thinking about doing okehampton to ivybridge myself guess its not to big an extention to start thurther up on the north coast really.

Any way im away to bed catch you later.

lol,why not, may aswell go and do the whole coast to coast while your at it-it'll be fun!

(if you've got a week to spare ofcourse)

Yea, catch you later DW-think I'd better turn in myself.

Goon
    My first venture onto dartmoor which happened to be solo was from ivybridge last April. LivinginWestLondon it seemed the obviouschoice when travelling by rail and also because I wasn't over confident withmy navigation skills it was one less thing to worry about by avoiding the firing ranges on the north moor. It was a lovely walk up onto the moor and the veiws were fantastic. I followed the dissmantled tramwayfrom Ivybridge and camped a little waybefore thecross ways junction. Day 2,Iwalkeddown to shipley bridge thenwalkedup theeast side of the Avon dam reserviorclose to huntington warren and camped near there beforecoming offat Luds gate. Thenwalked some lovelylquiet lanes via Lambs down tosouth Brent and then stayed at a lovely little camp site in cheston before the final walk back to Ivybridge to get the train home. Since then I've been training hard and have lost over a stone in excess weight so this yearI'm planning to alight the trainat Exeter and get the bus to Okehampton and then walk to Ivybridge over 3 days and two nights. About the foxes, yes they are little rascles, once night fishing with a mate we woke up to find a fox had made off with one of his trainerswhich we never found and my friendhad to drive home bare footed, luckily we weren't hiking or we would have been in trouble.

Ultra King

Sam,

The bus you will need is the western greyhound 510, they leave Exeter about every 2 hours on weekdays.

Timetable @ www.stagecoachbus.com

I'm glad you enjoyed your time on Dartmoor Sam. I've been to Shipley bridge myself-nice lil area. I might have to give that route a try sometime. Well done on loosing the weight aswell (assuming your not now size 0 lol). Yea Sam, the 510 is the bus you want as Michael said-Hope you enjoy yourself when you do this!

lol, we'll have to watch out for those pesky foxes.

Doesnt sound like a fox to me Hols - more like a dog, a big nasty black one that glows in the dark........

Sure you aint been letting TFS run wild up there FB