Thread: Lightweight Gear at the Outdoors Show

Widdler

I was thinking of going to the NEC this weekend to look round the show, but I cannot see any lightweight kit to look at, possibly with the exception of Montane.

I was hoping to look at some packs from the likes of OMM & Golite,see somelightweight cooking gear, possible try out some Inov-8 shoes and Montbell sleeping bags, to name a few.

There was a little bit of lightweight last year with the Hikelite stand, but I cannot even see that this year. With the increased exposure TGO is giving the lightweight scene, I would have thought that some of the manufactureers and retailers would have had a presence.

Can someone convince me there is enough kit of interest to see, or should I just spend the weekend making coke can stoves and cutting the labels out of my clothes!

Goon

Try the Backpackers Club AGM and lightweight fest April 26th, Ashford in the Water, Derbyshire.

http://www.backpackersclub.co.uk/

If it is anywhere near as god as last years you will not be disapointed. All the real lightweight guys were there, and it is free even to non members.

Übermensch john hee (www.walkaboutintheuk.co.uk)'s Avatar

What about the snugpack &alpkit stands ?

There's precious little kit to buy of any description let alone lightweight stuff.

Bob and I were talking about the Show this morning and the reality is that is moving away from hiking and trekking towards lots of more youth-orientated activities.

There is a gap in the market for some kind of trekking/backpacking show. Personally I'm not interested in the celebs, which seems to be why most people are going these days.

Can't raise any enthusiasm for the Outdoors show but the Backpackers AGM looks interesting and its right on my doorstep so I may pop along.

Übermensch Bob C - backpackinglightdotcodotuk's Avatar

Yeah support your smaller social gatherings, such as the backpackerclub and anything esle happening around the UK.

They are much more affordable for us smaller independents and sharing the passion is all part of the experience, which sometimes gets lost in the NEC. I've read others comments about the cost to park and get in which are perfectly reasonable.

The smaller shows may not have the complete range of brand names, but they do have ideas, solutions and experiences all people are happy to share. The enthusiasm is infectious.

I've only got a certain amount of space in the car, but if you are going and want to see certain gear, email me and I'll make sure I bring it.

Übermensch john hee (www.walkaboutintheuk.co.uk)'s Avatar

Does that include Rose, jellybeans and suggestive lingerie Bob?

Gotta agree on that. No comparison with Bellingham (Ultralight 'show'/BPC AGM) last year and yesterday at the OS show. I didn't see Bob's suggestive lingerie.

Last year I came back with a head full of ideas and car of purchases. Today I got back with a book, some agropharm prevent anti-insect spray, a t-shirt and a video/leaflet.

Had a great time, met nice people, chatted to people, got hands on some kit, but not the show for lightweight inspiration IMO. Nor was I looking for such. I had a good time. Some cracking display.