Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aldi Bargain Gear Back

It can mean only one thing...

The abdication of personal responsibility? Are the people buying this stuff the same ones castigating China for its contribution to CO2 emissions...?

Goon
    eh!

Ultra King Ddyrchafedig Gyrrwr (Beic Modur)'s Avatar
    Don't let this get on your "wick" Muzza!

since a lot of my outdoor gear probably already comes from china I won't make a special exception and not buy from aldi, and I still have criticisms of china's environmental record.

I wonder how much CO2 I will contribute over the next six months or so, when I will take some chinese clothing back to china via various other places (depending on visas). I may even briefly brave the smog of Urumqi!

The point I was apparently failing to make is that it's somewhat hypocrytical of people to castigate China for its pollution record. The reason emissions have shot up is because the West has closed down its manufacturing industries and exported them here, so we/you can buy goodies more cheaply. 25-30% of China's industry is manufacturing goods for Western markets; the cheaper the goods, the less likely that environmental safeguards are being taken. Rather than bitching about it, people should be taking the sort of ethical action adopted over child labour (which isn't a big problem here), checking out the policies of the companies they buy from rather than simply getting the cheapest stuff they can.

Lecture over. Pollution (or the lack of it) has improved significantly in the 3 years I've been popping to and from Urumqi, due to various measures the local authorities are taking. Lots of good stuff within two hours on the bus, drop me a line if you're in the area.

Initiate
    The Article suggests that the Aldi products will be instore as from Sunday 17 March.* However I visited*my local Aldi today and the latest "Special Offers" brochure that covers the dates of Sunday 16 March and Thursday 20 March makes no mention of the items in the article.* I suggest that the date given*is therefore incorrect.**

[Yep, Aldi's PR agency made a mistake, the kit is actually in store from 17 April 2008. I've updated the original news story with that information as well. Jon]

Slightly off-topic, but thought I'd relate this story anyway.

I bought a 500GB USB disk from Aldi back in December, which turned out to be faulty. Returned to Medion as directed in the guarantee. Cut a long story short, after three visits back to Medion it's still faulty.

Noticing that Aldi had these back in the specials yesterday I took my faulty one back this morning and related the story of several returns to Medion to the Manager and asked him if he would consider replacing my unit with one of the current specials.

No quibbles from the Manager at all and I now have a new 500GB drive attached to my PC, which, so far, is working fine.

First time I've had the need to sample Aldi's after sales support and, whilst I'm not that happy with Medion, I can't fault Aldi, they maybe cheap and cheerful, but after this experience I'm even more likely to buy from them in future.

If you take the attitude of avoiding wearing using anything from China, then you will soon find yourself naked on the streets..... Don't get me wrong I am & would be the 1st to support UK business & any other counrty who has environmental polices,but the reality is there is not enought to Kit yourself out head to toe in what you would choose....

Ultra King Ddyrchafedig Gyrrwr (Beic Modur)'s Avatar

Did you know that 95% of hard drives are now made in China, meaning that it is irony personified to complain about items being made there using computerswhich probably contain such hard drives.

The Echidna is quite right, these days it woud be very difficult not to use/wear something not associated with the country!

Widdler

The Aldi web site special offers up to 20/03 do not include any walking items.

Have we been misled ?

I live in China, and don't have a problem with people buying Chinese stuff per se - although, as it happens, much of my gear comes from elsewhere e.g. Buffalo (Yorkshire!), Rab (Vietnam), Terra Nova (Vietnam).

Again, the point I'm making is that we can't export our industry (and hence our pollution) to China, force down their manufacturing profits by always going for the cheapest line, and then have the gall to wag our fingers at them and tell them they should be doing more to protect the environment. We also have a responsibility - on a personal level, to buy stuff sourced as ethically as possible, and on a wider level e.g. companies/Govts working with China to develop cleaner coal power, etc.

However, it's hard to remain so level headed when the regime (which should not confused with the people) then goes and does what it's now doing in Tibet. Idiots.

‹bermensch The Tallest of Paul's's Avatar

MrWick, have you been to Vietnam recently? I have, its an industrialised dump. Which is no different to china in its pollution policies and infact is heavily subsidised by the chinese . The differance between the two countires is minimal andwhen it comes to "ethical action adopted over child labour " its no differant.

So if you buy your clothing that says made in Vietnam, you are in reality buying chineese.

may contain nuts wrote (see)

MrWick, have you been to Vietnam recently? I have, its an industrialised dump.[/QUOTE]

What, all of it? No, last time there (2002), I cycled through the north and that was enough for me (due to the nature of the people rather than the effects of industrialisation). However, point taken - I need to base my own purchases on better research. I think what I'm trying to say was mentioned a few days ago here. I touched on the same thing in a blog post a few months back.

Note 1 - I can no longer edit that blog because the Chinese censors have blocked the domain (although I can view it through a proxy).

Note 2 - I know Inov8 shoes are made in China, but as someone with size 49 feet I am severely limited in my choice of footwear (given that the soles peeled off shortly after that post, I'm open to alternatives).

Note 3 - I can no longer view the Everest thread since the text from the Times article was posted up, even using a proxy. In fact, when I last tried to use it yesterday, the whole Outdoorsmagic site crashed.

‹bermensch The Tallest of Paul's's Avatar

I cycled through the middle and north too(2005);thenature of the people is indeed some what hostile, I knowwhat the west did there was barbaric but why do the guide booksthen paint the whole place with such serenity when in matter of fact the locals dispise us?

I was spat at, had lit cigarettes flicked at me andmad motor bikers trying to knockus off.never mind the constant hassle of being ripped off(i dont mind this if its done in a friendly way,like india and morroco) The traffic was awful, With so much horn use we had to wear ear plugs when cycling! It was so bloody horrible infact we shortened our stay there(one month instead of three) and went back to Laos.

Laos is a fantastic cycling destination by the way, i expect you've been there.

As for the industry, i did over exagerate a little , though the central area was awful.

You were also lucky with your timing in the North, we had the joy of 400 miles of roadworks that had been blasted through from Ninh Binh to Son La, it was cycling on the moon! It didnt help matters that our guide book sung its praises and beauty.

Its not just me either by the way, I meet alot of Westerners over there and I would say at least 7 out of 10 felt the same.

‹bermensch no longer the 'office manager''s Avatar

Some lovely outdoor gear in Aldi today - Petrol stone cutter, Electric angle grinder etc. Just the job for doing those outdoor tasks the other half wants you to do!!

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_5339.htm

More like 9/10...the country may be welcoming for the Gary Glitters of this world, but I had little time for it (although people in the south, a few years earlier, were much friendlier). I 'did' most of Laos in 99-2001, when it was all still dirt roads, although I was actually there (briefy) just last month at the tail end of this.

I think Laos has probably had it, I don't see how they can avoid getting raped by the Chinese now the new roads have been put in. An ex of mine has lived there since late the late 90s and she's very downbeat about both the Chinese and Vietnamese. It's all very well banging on about Western imperialism, but when you look at the alternatives...

Mini Goon
    What about Tibet and Chinese repression, this has to be the best reason to boycott their goods as well as sending a clear messge to this brutal regime. Off to the Chinese Embassy later today. !!

Some cracking shots of your travells MW..LUCKY DEVIL!!

This thursday's special buys are slightly more outdoors oriented - lawnmower, garden spade and fork, various plants etc. Or there's more indoors DIY stuff if your grouting needs a touch-up

Just an update, Aldi's PR agency made a mistake in their original release. In fact the outdoors kit is available from 17 April, 2008. They're also supplying us with pair of the boots for a quick review. Apologies for any confusion.