Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lucky Dug!

Ultra King AT (http://AyrshireTiger.wordpress.com/)'s Avatar
    Please let it be like that on the 9th February when I'm up there!

Bugger the 9th, what about the weekend of the 23rd?!!

Mind you, he hasn't dug out much of a bucket seat to belay from, has he?

Doesn't need to, he's got 4 paw drive!

Beth

(sucker for good doggie pics)

Can you get doggie crampons?

The weather could not have been any better, there's was no wind and I could see for miles.

Dont think so, but you can get dog boots with Vibram soles!

Ruffwear dog boots

How does he get on in the snow?

Beth

I've looked at these boots before but for long hot days on stony paths as this is the only time her paws suffer. She copes quite well with the snow; however she does sink in verysoft snow. On steep ground she will spend a lot of time laying down to stop her self sliding down the hill. I keep her tied off to me above the snow line to prevent accidents. Sky is a rescue dog who is a bit nervous of 2 legged friends. I do find myself having to limit my route choice with her and can't find it in me to leave her behind when I have a day on the hills. On this trip I didn't take crampons (still carry a walking axe) if they were needed I would have turned back.

Ultra King Ddyrchafedig Gyrrwr (Beic Modur)'s Avatar

Unless there is a medical reason for using dog boots, they are a bit of a gimmick and could cause long term damage to the dog's pads.

Using them uneccessarily could "soften" the dog's pads and make them less hardy and tollerant of rough surfaces.

Wolves survive well enough in the arctic wilds of canada and in the temperate forrests of europe without needing boots, and dogs of the same lineage should not need them either.

Should not the above thread title, in reference to the lovely picture on this discussion thread, be actually reading as "Lucky DOG!" then????????

Dug is what those 'Scottish' people north of the border call canis lupus familiaris.

In the States you can buy so much doggie outdoors kit for your favourite outdoors mutt to wear and enjoy in the hills and mountains now! I love being out and about and meeting these bigger dogs carrying their own mini-backpacks, and saddle-bags type of things too! It looks great on them, but I do not know if it is cruel or not, to actually weigh a dog down so with such kit/equipment!!! What is the overall general consensus of opinion here on this please???? It is only the big dogs like German-Shepherds etc that I have noticed with this kit all on; although they seem to sell a lot of this stuff too for smaller dog breeds as well, or soI have heard!!

LOL, Trevor. !!! ??? !! ?? !!!!!!!!

With reference to the boots

We run 30+ mileseach week (+ walks) and she has no problems with her pads, however during the summer we covered 55 miles in 2 days. At the end of the 2 days her pads were very dry and she was showing sign that they were sore. This was covered on stony tracks in Dartmoor. I'm sure if the weather had been wet she would have not had any problems. Has any one tried these boots on their dogs? Open to any other ideas.

For the dog packs, I don't think the weight she could carry would make much benefit to me. I think I would spend more time carrying her over ditches - streams - walls etc as she would not be able to jump with the extra weight. On a hot day she would not last 5 minutes as she would over heat.

Well,

I think it is far more cruel that dogs (dugs) expect their poor human companions to carry everything on a trip, I mean humans weren't designed to carry back packs were they?

That is a good point there Gary, beware of loading dogs with packs on hot summer days. Unlike humans, they cannot sweat and the packs could raise thiercore temperature to dangerous levels.

Fortunately, the astute owner will notice the danger signs such as heavier than usual panting!

BTW Kate,

Is it only Scottish people "north of the border" who call them dugs?

Do they make the conscious effort to call them dogs if venturing south of the border then??

I'll make no more jokes about remarkable amounts of exclamation and question marks if they're to be ignored.

What are you on about Jim ??????????

You must be mad !!!!!!!

Sky is a rescue dog who is a bit nervous of 2 legged friends

Aww. We meet a Border Collie in the local park who is afraid of men having been mistreated in her past life. It took me quite a while for us to be friends but whilst she still barks at Paul she'll come up to me for a cuddle and fuss.

I do find myself having to limit my route choice with her and can't find it in me to leave her behind when I have a day on the hills

She is a beauty. I do similar, it seems wrong to go for a walk without them doesn't it?!

Beth(S'funny I used to get wound up when people used to assume Tilly was a boy, refering to her as he. Now I find I do the very thing I used to hate. Ooops)

Has any one tried these boots on their dogs?

No. I dont think they are really needed in the conditions we usually get. And like you did, not taking crampons makes you stop before she would get into trouble which sounds sensible to me.

I imagine most dogs would try to get them. You'ld probably need to train them to accept having them on as a pup.

If she was getting sore paws regularly it might be worth trying them, otherwise just a bit of rest after the odd occasion.

For the dog packs, I don't think the weight she could carry would make much benefit to me.

This is our conclusion too after getting a couple of packs for our previous. She would spend much of the walk rolling over to get it off and bumping into things because she was wider than expected. I have tried one of them on Jake but they are too big for him anyway.

Beth

Gary, Sky is simply gorgeous! I'm very envious of you!!