Thread: Do I need a softshell?

Widdler

I'm busy gearing up from scratch at the moment for both UK hiking and a big trip to the Western U.S. national parks.

I haven't used any of my kit in anger yet (just around London!) and was wondering if anyone would recommend a softshell jacket in addition to the kit list below. I don't really want to wear the Precip jacket all the time unless its pelting it down.

Current kit:

Baselayers (various synthetic)

Marmot Driclime Windshirt

Berghaus Infinity light

Marmot Precip Jacket

Berghaus Statis Pants

thanks in advance,

Ryan

You don't need one, but sounds like you would like one........

Montane Fusion is nice.

Goon

great travel casual wear as it looks great. No real practical hill advantage in uk. Not sure about the US stuff

Ryan, I think you'll find that Marmot describe the DriClime as the original softshell.

Widdler

From my limited use of it I find the Driclime Windshirt is a great piece of kit - you hardly notice you're wearing it until you take it off and feel a cold gust of wind.

I've not yet tested it to its limits and as it doesn't really feel like a lot of soft shells I thought it might be a bit lightweight to use as an out shell.

Mini Goon
    IMHO, you already have a soft shell in the Driclime jacket. There's a wide range of soft shells, from nearly waterproof and limited breathability to very breathable and fairly weather resistant. If I were you, I wouldn't buy another soft shell untill you've experienced situations in which the Driclime was just not enough and your rain jacket was too much. It will also give you an idea of what kind of soft shell you'll need because there's such a wide range that choosing the right one isn't exactly the easiest thing.

i'd agree with the others. you have good kit to start with and it only needs changing/tweaking when you discover a flaw in the system as tom says.

put the money into a shiny new kit fund so you can get what you want when the time comes.

‹bermensch
    Might be worth getting a lightweight (100 weight) fleece for wearing under the Driclime when you are moving in really cold conditions. I know you have the Infinity Light for extra warmth, but I find such Primaloft tops too warm except for when you stop moving.

Widdler

I've found the Infinity Light perfectly fine over the top of the Driclime at night - but that walking around in the city.

I'll have to reserve judgement on how it performs in the mountains when working up a sweat! Thanks for the heads up about the fleece

I`d agree with the 100wt for under the Driclime when it`s chillier walking. Then you`ll have the Infinity Light for rest stops etc. I wouldn`t be carrying anything more than that on your list.