Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Man dies on helvellyn,1600ft fall,12.01.2008

Be noble DIddy. Let his use the pics for a bit of money for the MRT and just tell him what you know, chances are he will onyl use a couple of your words anyway, and you knwo what theyre like, al they want ot hear about is the helicopter!

Widdler

Some details on the man involved in the accident.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...2703-20351717/

Not an unprepared Sunday stroller as was implied in some of the press coverage.

There's nothing visibly tasteless in the pictures so I can't see anything wrong, I'd think twice if they clearly showed the unfortunate victim. Maybe give the MRT involved a ring to discuss it with them. You could end up with a situation where consent you to the pictures being published but only in exchange for a donation to the MRT and them being allowed to check the story before publication. Obviously this would probably need to be done fairly quickly as I assume the journalist will want it published this week. I'm sure the park authority would be happy for it to get tied into their campaign for people to stay indoors when it snows.

Have tried to contact the local mountain rescue HQ but tcannot find thier number so went ahead and sent picture on the grounds both newspapers make a donation to Mountain rescue and they did agree and i have asked for reciept ..

Wasnt sure i be doing the right thing but they both said they free advertise for the local mountain rescue teams.so kind of work in harmony with them..

Just to clarify the position around photos: in this situation, the photographerowns the copyright to the shots and can do with them as s/he wishes. Clearly, if there is anything intrusive in the image, then it would only be right to get permission from the people photographed/their representatives. In my relatively long experience of MR and dealing with the press, no payment/donation has ever been made for photos taken by freelances/third parties-sound like you are an ace negotiator Diddy!

BTW-MR base phone numbers are usually in the book, but can always be obtained from local police force HQ's.

Thanks for that Slioch

just to update then,

sold a sigle photo to two newspapers around the Lake District area and they offered to donate £25.00 each for mountain rescue,i also asked for a copy of the newspapers and so far have recieved one in the post and was happy with the picture and the writeup..

Just need comfirmation about the donation being made now...

Hey nice one Diddy, success then. Everyone bear this in mind if you ever get any pictures for youself!

Thanks bud.

Be good to catch up with you again on the windy meet mate..can tell us all about your hols

Quote Originally Posted by Slioch View Post
    </blockquote>

Clearly, if there is anything intrusive in the image, then it would only be right to get permission from the people photographed/their representatives.
    'Right' maybe, but certainly not necessary. Photos of anybody taken in a public place, especially for journalistic purposes, are 'fair game'. You do not need anybody's permission to publish them.

That aside, well done Diddy on a very noble approach to 'selling' the photos. IME, £25 per pic for a local rag isn't bad at all, so the MR teams will have done well out of you.

Sorry, I was chosing my words with some care.

As a professional photographer, I'd certainly endorse the legal position that permission does not have to be obtained. My concern was rather with the more complex issues involved in publishing stuff that is, as I said, intrusive.

Legal ?: Yes, [Profitable?: Sometimes] Right?: you decide.