Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One for Paddy Dillon?

Strangely enough, I was listening to a old podcast interview with Paddy Dillon.In it hementionedhis old Psion pocket 'puter thingy which he uses formaking on the go notes for his guidebooks.

Somehow the link below seems appropriate as it relates to old technology still being used...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7090533.stm

I spotted the BBC piece earlier today Phil, and mailed them a few words about the Psion. It'll be interesting to see if they publish it, or whether I'm blacklisted by them for all the trouble I cause the BBC's own terrorist associates, namely TV Licensing! After 25 years of being harassed by them, I decided it was high time to involve the police, and strangely enough, I haven't heard a peep out of them since. They're also banned from my property!

Ultra King
    Paddy,
    That sounds like a story worth listening to. A David v Goliath tale.

TV Licensing is the 'Dirty Tricks' department of the BBC. The way they operate is to createand maintain a climate of fear among the population, pretty much the same way that terrorists operate. All their talk about £1000 fines for not paying your BBC tax is rubbish, since the standard 'fine' levied by magistrates is little more than the cost of a TV Licence, so you only need to skip paying for two years and you're in profit!

Someone like me, who isn't a 'customer' of the BBC, must be a considerable drain on BBC resources, since the amount they spend treating me like a criminal is out of all proportion to what they can ever hope to earn from me, which is absolutely zilch, nothing, nada, not a single penny. Those of you who pay the BBC tax have a right to know how much it's costing you personally for them to chase people like me!

Anyway... they've all been put on notice, from Tessa Jowell MP downwards. Harassment is harassment, and if they insist on harassing me any more, then they'll have the police to answer to every single time, just like the last time. The BBC's terrorist arm likes to think it's above the law, but it isn't. The only power they have is what people believe they have. If you believe they have a right to charge you money and invade your home, then that's the level of 'service' you'll receive. If you don't believe they have that power, then you can bar them from your property and notify the police every time they harass you, and by heck, you should see them tripping over their bootlaces when they do a runner!

The simplest way to get rid of a TV Licensing door-stopper is to take his photograph. They're terrified of cameras and have been instructed to beat a hasty retreat whenever a camera is pointed in their direction. If one of them actually speaks to you, all you have to say is "I want a lawyer", because again, they've been instructed to beat a hasty retreat whenever anyone says that. Why? Because they know that they're pushing the boundaries of what's legally acceptable in this country, and they don't want to be seen doing it, nor do they have any wish to be involved in any kind of legal action themselves.

‹bermensch john hee (www.walkaboutintheuk.co.uk)'s Avatar

...............................now you've done it. Pressed Paddy's destruct button.

Meanwhile, back to the question - proud user of Psion 5. On my 3rd model and the best technology balance v cost i've seen over the 25+ years I've been involved with IT.

The Psion 3 was good (Paddy's approach I think), but the touchscreen of the 5 has the edge for me

Paddy's approach is to use a Psion 3MX. It's a little smaller and lighter than the 5. Nothing has ever come close to the Psion series for sheer practicality. Slow one-fingered typists might be swayed by some other machines, but the Psion keyboards were the only ones that could actually be used for 'proper' typing at speed. One of my friends likes to keep up to date with the latest gadgets, and it's painful for me to watch him stabbing at a postage-stamp sized keyboard with a pointed stick!

Does this magic Psion device pick up TV?

No - but do you think the BBCs terrorist arm would believe that?

Thanks heavens for that! I felt there were only a few die hards still around! I love my Psion 5mx (yeah, snazzy me, eh?) and all my contacts are on it, as is my diary (although work based exchange - don't get me started - now runs in parallel, because I never really got the sync working properly), and essential notes. It has to travel with me otherwise I simply don't know things, and if I forget to put anything on it, then I lose it!

For those who can do without, then good on them, but I find Ctrl-F never worked too well in a paper format.

I'm on my last device now (having gone through a series 5, revo and 5mx), and not sure what will happen when this dies, but I may have to be reduced to using a 'spare' (battery poor) revo to continue. It was always a shame bluetooth snagged them so early on, they tripped up and left the market, and that their smaller devices never went colour. I still lust after a netbook - and again what is on the market these days that is instant on with a keyboard, diary, contacts list and full office system?

There has been the Nokia communicator or course and it is out in its latest amazing incarnation as the E90. Perhaps this will be something to replace my 5mx if it should ever depart this mortal coil....

Paddy, I bet your PC at home picks up TV, or at least Radio

I understand what you're saying about the small minority of people in the country who choose not to watch TV or have a set. In very slight mitigation there did used to be a lot of licence fee defaulters, and perhaps this rather over heavy handed approach has addressed that.

Then again the licence fee covers more than just TV - although Radio is a lot less of a cost to the BBC, I'd say.

I am continually surprised at the licence fee department's ruthless efficiency. When I last bought a TV - must be about 6 years ago now - I got it on my credit card, whereas the TV licence was in my partner's name - these didn't add up and so I got a letter about it! Once I sent them a letter back explaining things I haven't heard from them again, apart from the monthly direct debit, of course!

I was at Dolgoch YH one day when they got a single letter from the TV licence department to 'the shepherd's house' about their lack of TV licence. There's no power there, and I doubt anyone has tried to find out if there is any TV reception! The poor postie had nearly wrecked the van getting it down the rough track to deliver it - mind you, back then the postie used to also check on the former warden who lived next door, although last time I heard they were trying to reduce the number of deliveries to the place, which was a worry for the local YHA volunteers....but I digress.

Fraid my PC doesn't pick up TV, and no licence is required for radio.

So... you're saying that because some people don't pay for a TV licence, it's OK for the BBC to pester me with letters and treat me like a criminal, and threaten to invade my home and search it for a TV?

This country is full of criminals, but that doesn't give anyone the right to write letters to people asking them if they're criminals, or threatening them, without even a shred of evidence. How would you like it if a total stranger came pestering you one day to see if you were handling stolen goods, then came back later in the day to check if you were trafficking illegal immigrants, then came late at night to check if you were running a brothel in your house, or to search for drugs... I think you'd be a bit pissed off to say the least... especially if they were just targetting you because you WEREN'T doing any of those things!

I've put it to Tessa Jowell MP, minister with ultimate responsibility for the BBCs terrorist arm, that she'd be more than hashed off if total strangers came round to her house to check if she was doing anything criminal there, and she'd be especially hashed off if they did that without having any evidence of wrong-doing. In fact, the way I put it to her was that she'd be hashed off if they came to check whether she was an unlicensed prostitute, especially if they had no evidence whatsoever of prostitution. I got a very nice reply from one of her underdogs, explaining what the BBC can and can't do, and you'd be surprised to discover that at the end of the day, they can only prosecute a non-licence-payer if they actually sign a confession on their own doorstep! You'd have to be a mug to do that!

That's why the BBCs terrorist arm is banned from my property, is banned from harassing me, and will find themselves having to deal with the police the moment they try to break that ban. The BBC can't go round this country asking innocent people if they are criminals. No-one can. My telephone has a number 9 button on it, and it will be pressed three times the moment the BBC starts another campaign of harassment and intimidation.

Dodging the TV licence is on a par with parking on double-yellow lines, as far as the law is concerned, but the BBC would have you believe that it's something more serious. On the flip side, the BBCs flagrant disregard for people's privacy in this country is staggering, and to threaten people with legal action when they haven't broken any laws simply marks them as being the true criminals!

Any you thought they were just there to entertain and provide news!

Mini Goon

Paddy

I couldn't agree more with your well reasoned case. Well done you. Far too many of us never question the boundaries.

How do you like living in the most filmed country?(CCTV) Just because one doesn't actually feel the intrusion, doesn't mean that it is just.

I understand your distress, and even your misunderstanding of my note above, Paddy. I realise you're upset, but what you've done is read my note and paraphrase it in accordance to what you think I said. I actually said I understood what you were saying. I can also understand why TV Licensing (for that is what they are, and not the BBC) may have decided to get heavy handed like this in every case, particularly in these days where the lines are blurred and broadband enables people to watch 'tv' and listen to radio on their PC. It may be the case that their hand held detectors can't differentiate between the frequency eminating from a PC monitor and a regular old fashioned TV. It clearly isn't warranted to invade your privacy, of course. It does, however, seem you have dealt them a blow in return and taken it to the top.

As a slight point of order it is TV Licensing who collect and police the licence fee. These monies are then used to fund the BBC in its entirety. Whilst people may refer to the BBC Licence, it isn't actually run or policed by the BBC. I don't think - from what I recall - that 'BBC' is on any of the TV Licensing paperwork, but I could be wrong. So I think it is at this point that BBC the entertainment and information provider is different to TV Licensing, and indeed the BBC are just there to entertain and provide news.

Unfortunately HM Revenue and Customs mix up the monies they collect for the exchequer, so I can't really refer to it as a 'Ongoing War License of fee' - much as I'd want to

In anycase, I'm surprised you're ever around to answer the door to these annoying chaps, the amount of walking you do!

BBC TV Licence Enforcement Officers wanted

Past experience in intimidation and threatening of the elderly, single mums and students especially is essential.

You'll be considered a ‚??lone-worker' meaning we will check up on you every hour just to monitor and provide a quick response if there is an accident or in case a dangerous situation arises.

If you like watching football matches please don't bother applying because we will expect you to make door-to-door visits every time an important match is on.

Remember
    * You have no authorization what so ever to enter people's premises.
    * You have no means of proving our ‚??customers' need a TV licence because the technology we use to detect TV's in use are either non-existent or outdated and cannot be used in evidence.
    * You will totally depend on your criminal past to force our ‚??customers' into a confession and have them sign our ‚??plead-guilty' forms.
    * The more of these signed forms you send in the higher your bonus.
    * Don't ask for search warrants all the time; the BBC, considers this not cost effective. Again, use our proven intimidation tactics to achieve our goals.

Tip
    Target only our weaker ‚??customers' such as students, single mums, the elderly, the disabled and people living in deprived areas. We hold lots of statistics; our database will help you targeting these particular areas.

Martin

There's no difference whatsoever between the BBC and TV Licensing. They are one and the same. The BBC doesn't like its name being associated with its criminal activities, so they created another identity to hide behind. Whenever anyone gets anything from TV Licensing, it's actually coming from the BBC. If all the TV Licensing ads you see in the news had BBC written on them, you'd probably give up paying the licence fee.

Not sure how the web side of the BBC is funded, perhaps they just roll it in with the Radio as part of a 'TV Licence fee'.

It is worth noting we have all been reading the BBC news for the origins of this thread and the term 'BBC viewer' in the UK looks to be a superset of 'BBC licence fee payer'.

There could be an argument that the BBC should be funded directly by taxation, as they do with ABC in Australia, but that seems to open the organisation up to political vagueries - although it would certainly avoid people erroneously and annoyingly knocking at Paddy's door.

btw, tried to find the right link about ABC funding on the rather slow ABC website, but regressed to the (cited) Wiki instead [cough].

You are right:

"TV Licensing" is a trading name used by companies contracted by the BBC to administer the collection of television licence fees and enforcement of the television licensing system

Blows most of that argument then - but not all of it

The criminals who work on the streets doing the BBCs dirty work are usually, but not always, working for a company called Capita, which was set up and operated by the slimiest of Britain's lawyers, who constantly chip away at what little freedom is left in this country. They are, in effect, private bailiffs, working only to line their own pockets, and the money they collect has very little to do with providing the news or entertainment that you get from the BBC. However, they are VERY scared of getting into any kind of trouble with the police or the law, and they can be sent scuttling back to their holes simply by producing:

A camera, or

Demanding a lawyer, or

Involving the police

If they were doing legal, honest or decent work, they'd have nothing to fear, but the fact that they've already proven themselves quite capable of assaulting people and falsifying statements in pursuit of bonuses, you have to ask yourself why you are funding their organisation at all.

I bet they never operate in the full glare of CCTVs!

Lol - rememberto demand one of the less slimy lawyers then, Paddy.

The "I demand a lawyer" request is based on the premise that if you're being interviewed "under caution" by one of the TV Licensing Enforcers, then by law, you have a right to demand a lawyer. The number and availability of a "public defender", and the likelihood of the BBC actually going out to find one for you, is billions to one against! Even if they did find one, they wouldn't want a lawyer to be present when they're trying to intimidate an innocent person, so the honest truth is, they'll just run for cover. That's what all TV Licensing Enforcers have been instructed to do when they hear those words... run back to their holes and hide!