Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Satmap 10

Mini Goon

Longshot I know, but had anyone got their hands on a Satmap 10 yet? A quick look on google suggest inital stocks are being bought up, so perhaps someone on here has some initial impressions?

I currently use a Garmin eTrex Legend with Anquet mapping software and am happy with it. The only thing that would make me upgrade is if I could have the actual OS mapping on-screen which the Satmap 10 does.

Mymain concern is that is a new company and the first generation of the product....

I have just brought one, althoughI only have the base map as no one seems to have the maps in stock yet. Unit seems to work well but will reserve judgement untill I have the maps. Will get back whenI can get try the maps.

I'm holding off until I hear of someone that can get memory map data to work on it.

The problem with digital maps is that in order to use a map in a different application, often you'll have to pay for the same data again. In the case of OS maps, that data will cost hundreds of pounds and will no doubt be obsolete in 5 years time when the next model comes out.

For now, paper maps still rule the hills.

Mini Goon

Footfall - Will be interested to hear how you get on. A number of websites have the Mapping SD cards listed (no idea on stock though) and the satmap website says postcode centered maps will be available (I'm going to ring tomorrow to enquire about availability). Seems ridiculous to lauch thehardware without the software.

Hard copy maps in whatever format will always rule the hills , because despite electronic devices convenience a proper grounding in the ability to use a real map will always be required, if only to make full use of the electronic version.

I wonder how many people who have a GPS can use it properly but cannot use a real map properly ? Imay be taking a wild stab in the dark but the words not very many spring to mind .

Also I wonder how many GPS units are lying dormant ,unused in a cupboard because thier owner struggles with a map and thought GPS was an easy way around it but found they couldn,t fathom the GPS either.

Also its more fun to try and work out your location by logical evaluation , its part of what makes walking fun.

Mini Goon

Jonno, I don't know anyone who uses a GPS that doesn't also have (at least ) good map reading skills- do you? I think your wild stab in the dark is just that!

Personally I like using them so I don't have to keep on diving into my pack for a map or fiddle about folding it into a suitable size. They are especially handy when I am navigating on my mountain bike. Like many people I don't get as much time to go out on the hills as I'd like, and I enjoy it more if I can rely on my GPS for easy navigation (usually on pre-planned routes) rather than have my head buried in a map. I always carry a map in my pack just in case, but can't remember the last time I had to refer to it. For me it aids my enjoyment of being outdoors.

Mini Goon

Footfall - I just spoke to Richard at Satmap who was very helpful. He says they have plenty of stock for the maps and you can ring up and order direct from them (Website is not set up to do this yet, will be in 'about a week'). They will also arrange for coustom maps.

I cant see that the Satmap does anything that Memory Maps Road Angel doesnt do.

In fact the Road Angel seems to me to be the better value for money acting as an in car satnav as well and using MM maps which a lot of people already have.

Price seems about the same and maps are already up and running and proven.

I have seen a demo of the Road Angel and it looks pretty good to me, has anyone got one and been using it for a while?

I use a Garmin in conjunction with a printed out bit of map from MM. I have tried using the OS maps on my PDA downloaded from MM but for me the screen size is too small to get a decent overview of a larger area.

All personal preference of course but I agree with other comments elswhere that its essential to carry map and compass and know how to use it.

Mini Goon

I don't know much about the road angel (though I have read the specs in catalogs etc). My concern would be if it was touch enough for heavy handed outdoor use, especially on a mountain bike. Do they even produce a handlebar bracket? The Satmap seems to have been produced with this in mind.

How does the Road Angel fare as far as the following are concerned?

- Waterproofing

- Ruggedisation

- Battery Life

- Display visibility in bright sunshine and night time

If it can't do all these things, then I'm sure a PDA will come out soon enough that can. That being the case, the Satmap will become obsolete. A single function device locked to one piece of sofware will become "sooo last year"

The Road Angel is based on their in-car navigation units but with added sealing, the Satmap is purpose-built for outdoor use. I suspect that the latter, which also has a replaceable Lexan screen shield, is going to be somewhat more robust, but that's jumping to conclusions.

Dave has a Satmap unit on test right now and I'm due to get one this week. Fwiw, if Satmap performs as claimed, I think it may appeal to people who find current GPS units complicated to use as opposed to those who've already invested in mapping software.

I'm hoping to get a review on the site next week with Dave looking at the unit from the viewpoint of a seasoned GPS user and technophile and me taking a less expert approach. If you're the sort of person who is a PDE user or potential user then that might be the solution for you, but I'm not sure Satmap is really aimed at that sort of market.

Personally what I want is a unit which is simple to use, can function without being hooked up to a computer and gets the basics right. It's easy to add features to things and make them more and more complicated, but good design is about stripping away the extraneous stuff not adding more.

I'm really looking forward to seeing if this thing matches up to its billing.

Further, I've just done a quick interview with Richard, the guy behind Satmap and put some of the questions and issues above to him. On the Satmap / Roadangel front, on essential difference beyond the ones I mentioned above, is that Satmap uses a non touch screen interface because he says, touch screens are simply too fragile and unreliable for outdoors use, which is why the company developed a non-touch screen interface for their unit. The RA unit, which was initially developed for in-car use, has a touch screen.

As far as the background of the company itself goes, it's backed by private investors which, he says, has allowed them to concetrate on producing a very focussed product specifically for outdoors use without cutting any corners and being able to fous on, for example, making sure that individual hardware components were chosen to maximise battery life, to produce a unit that can use both conventional AA batteries but also a rechargeable lithium polymer unit and so on.

I'll write up the entire interview tomorrow, but it was interesting.

Mini Goon

I'm really interested to hear more about this product Jon. Will look out for the article.

The drawback I fear is I have already bought say £500 worth of Mem Map in various scales etc...

I can use this in a pda, obviously not as rugged or ideal for batteries, however it does work.

I would potentially have to bin all my mem map & start again collecting the sat map mem cards etc...

Does the sat map maps have the pc functionality of mem map or anquet ?? for 3d, flythrough waypoints planning etc ???

A hefty re-investment for alot of what you may already have....

I take it there's no means of attaching the Satmap to a PC and squirting the MM PDA version to it then?

Without a doubt I'm waiting for a mapping GPS that can work with my computer and the investment I've put not only into buying the maps/products, but also the time and effort in marking waypoints and planning paths and routes. It would take me ages to recreate all of this data again.

I take it there's no means of attaching the Satmap to a PC and squirting the MM PDA version to it then?

That's two seperate questions: Yes you can connect it to a PC, but no you can't "squirt the MM PDA version to it". What you can do though is export your GPS data from the SatMap to MM or Anquet in GPX format.

I would potentially have to bin all my mem map & start again collecting the sat map mem cards etc...

That's true to an extent. One of the good things about SatMap is that you can swap SD cards between users, so there's obvious options there to get complete coverage between several people.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    > The drawback I fear is I have already bought say £500 worth of Mem Map in various scales etc...

Which brings us back to our repeated rant about the licence terms on OS mapping data, and how it limits innovation... Once you've paid for the OS licence, you really should be able to use the data with whatever application you choose, then all you need to pay for is the new software, and not have to buy all the maps yet again.

That's two seperate questions: Yes you can connect it to a PC, but no you can't "squirt the MM PDA version to it". What you can do though is export your GPS data from the SatMap to MM or Anquet in GPX format.

OK, thanks for the clarification Dave, all is not lost then...

Noticed Anquet pushing the latest Mio Pocket PC's (P360 and P560) in their most recent newsletter. At £199.99 and £229.99 respectively, with the ability to download maps from Anquet and presumably Memory Map too, a much cheaper alternative, albeit, not as robust at the Satmap. I've been using one of the Mio 168's for the last couple of years for in-car Satnav and occasionally in the outdoors, though battery life is the achilles heel of this model. Still undecided about the best way to go with this...

Some intersting comments here from users. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=53719&pos tdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=satmap&start=0

Sounds like it still has few bugs but could be really good if they get it sorted out properly.