Thread: ABC watches

i'm thinking of replacing my old g-shock with something a bit fancier. i've looked at the suunto vector and the suunto core and both seem pretty good bits of kit.

has anyone got any experience with these two watches or with this type of watch? i've never used one before so would like to find out if people think it is worth getting one.

thanks

kenny

Hi Kenny, it is worth getting one. I use my new Casion Pro Trek one all the time. The casio ones are good in that they are solar powered, and have a clever tilt on light so it lights when you hold it up. Sunnto have a handy feature allowing you to view the sea level pressure. Both watches will plot graphs of recent barometric air pressure, so you can see the trend and sort of predict the weather, but you would have thought the sunnto one would plot sea level pressure, but it doesent, it plots actual pressure, so if your ascending and descending it goes off the scale, which is the same for the casio ones. Theyre great tools though. Im very happy with mine. Definately buy from ebay fro abroad, as there arent the same taxes, my Casion was about 100 quid or so, and they sell for over 200 in the UK

Goon
    Had the Vector about 4 years now. Very reliable, replaced batteries just once. It does loads of things, however best for checking altitude at a glance. If you set the altitude to actual at start of climb, it will keep an accurate measure all the way up and down. For £120 it is good value. Get yourslef a neoprene strap for it. This will allow you to wear it over your jacket for quick easy reading. They do a fantastic elastic strap, but it has design flaw that breaks very quickly.

I've had the (most basic) Suunto Altimax for 3 or 4 years now, and an Avocet Vertech for 5 or 6 yearsbefore that(both have altimeter/barometer - I prefer to keep my compass separate). Incredibly useful for navigation, good for geeky stats on your route too, and handy for weather trends.

Just one point though, when Muzza says "If you set the altitude to actual at start of climb, it will keep an accurate measure all the way up and down." This is only true if the weather is settled and stable i.e. there isn't a high or low moving through your area causing underlying changes to the air pressure. If the air pressure is changing, then expect to have to re-calibrate your altitude at regular intervals at known locations - and it's good practice to get into the habit of doing that anyway, otherwise the displayed altitude can easily get out by maybe 100m or more in the course of a day.

smeg,

thanks for getting back to me. do you use the compass feature much on yours? i thought it might be handier than constantly getting a "real" compass out.

do you think that this type of watch is just a gadget and I'm definitely a gadget freak or will it be useful out on the hills?

Goon
    your right there Matt. I always check as I go. You know by map features v watch reading if it seems right or wrong. THe summit is always a good place to check as the height is definate. Maybe just my luck but not had this problem. Seems I set of in either fine or crap weather and seems to stay like that for the day!

Goon

Never really trusted the compass as it does seem to be affected by whats around a fair bit. Will give you a quick idea on which direction to head. Eg if heading across a wide expanse andfollowing a general heading ,with no real problem if you deviate a bit, then okay. Reading not accurate enough for accurate use of compass in poor viz etc in my experience.

PS very useful on the hills.

Its not jsut a gadget, iti s a usefull tool. The compass isnt great, you certainly cant properly navigate with it, but say your on a path and you jsut wont to know if your going in the general right direction its fine. I use it just as a rough guide, certainly wouldent substiture a proper compass for it though.

As Muzza says, calibration is important with the altimeter

I had a vector for years and was very pleased with it. I only replaced it because I wanted one that also has a heart rate monitor on it (I think the one I've got now is an X6hrm). The compass is good for quickly setting the map or for walking on a bearing (or ina particular direction), but I always found that I still needed a base plate compass for taking bearings. My only slight quibble with the suunto watches I've had is that the alarm isn't loud enough.

Mini Goon

I've got a Suunto Advizor which is a Vector with a heart rate monitor. I use it all the time and it's solid, durable and reliable. I've had a couple of Casio pro-trek type watches in the past which are heavier than the Suunto but the latter is much better. All the bits work (read and understand the instructions), the display is great and although lighter than the Casios it's very tough.

In short the Suunto is highly recommended. When I replace mine it'll be with a Suunto X6HRM just because the compass is a little more user friendly and it's a nicer looking watch.